[comp.sys.mac] Fucking MacPassword 3.6.1

clubmac@runxtsa.runx.oz.au (Macintosh Users Group) (02/13/90)

Why in God's name was MacPassword 3.6.1 posted to comp.binaries.mac. Is the
moderator still Roger Long?  There's nothing more ANNOYING than CrippleWare
It is a FUCKING OFFENCE TO HUMANITY to waste HUGE NET BANDWIDTH with such
utter TRASH!

There is ShareWare, FreeWare and even HappyWare (Gidday J.R.) but why must
we have to swallow CrippleWare like MacPassword 3.6.1????

MacPassword 3.6.1 is a bloody ABOMINATION!

| Jason Haines, Senior Vice-President                                         |
| Club Mac - Australia's Largest Macintosh Users Group                        |
| P.O. Box 213, Holme Building, Sydney University, NSW  2006                  |
| INTERNET:clubmac@runxtsa.runx.oz.au  UUCP: uunet!runxtsa.runx.oz.au!clubmac |
| ACSNet:  clubmac@runxtsa.runx.oz                                            |
|_____________________________________________________________________________|

sm5g+@andrew.cmu.edu (Scott Hunter Morgan) (02/14/90)

You don't have to swallow it, you can simply ignore it.  Hey, here is an idea,
why not complain to the moderator of the bboard, instead of posting your
own version of "utter TRASH".  You don't have to be, and I quote:
	"a FUCKING OFFENCE TO HUMANITY".
I would expect a little more from a Senior V.P. of a mac users group.

-Scott Morgan
sm5g@andrew.cmu.edu.HELL.NO.SLEEP

mjkobb@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Michael J Kobb) (02/14/90)

In article <sZq=5=W00UiOQ3eUhk@andrew.cmu.edu> sm5g+@andrew.cmu.edu (Scott Hunter Morgan) writes:
>You don't have to swallow it, you can simply ignore it.

While I agree that the language in the original posting was, er, strong, I
don't think that you can "simply ignore" the posting of an enormous program
when the rate of throughput on such a group is so low.  I posted GIFConverter
2.0d12 at the request of a bunch of people, and I still haven't seen it.  It's
demoware, which may upset some people, but it is fully functional, except that
it corrupts the image it displays/saves slightly to encourage the payment of
the fee...  I think that the suggestion that I saw before of
comp.binaries.mac.demos was a good idea.

--Mike

woodl@physc1.byu.edu (02/14/90)

I would expect a LOT better from a senior VP of a Mac User's group!!!

Larry Wood, Brigham Young University

pfr654@csc.anu.oz (02/14/90)

In article <651@runxtsa.runx.oz.au>, clubmac@runxtsa.runx.oz.au (Macintosh Users Group) writes:
> Why in God's name was MacPassword 3.6.1 posted to comp.binaries.mac. Is the
> moderator still Roger Long?  There's nothing more ANNOYING than CrippleWare
> It is a FUCKING OFFENCE TO HUMANITY to waste HUGE NET BANDWIDTH with such
>
>  _____________________________________________________________________________
> | Jason Haines, Senior Vice-President                                         |
> |_____________________________________________________________________________|

Jason, as a fellow Australian, I am immensely annoyed at your unnecessary
usage of four letter words. We all know all the four letter words, but they
nowadays have no real meaning and do not add anything to the language. All
of your writing would mean exactly the same thing without the four letter
words.

I do not like reading such language, just as I do not particularly like
hearing it.  It does not tone in well with the nature of this newsgroup.
Phil Ryan                                         * No matter where
Research Student                                  *  you go...
ANU Department of Physics and Theoretical Physics *
Canberra, Australia                               *... there you are.
pfr654@csc.anu.oz                                 *
phone:(61-62)494678                               *  Buckaroo Banzai

gall@yunexus.UUCP (Norm Gall) (02/14/90)

pfr654@csc.anu.oz writes:

| Jason, as a fellow Australian, I am immensely annoyed at your unnecessary
| usage of four letter words. We all know all the four letter words, but they
| nowadays have no real meaning and do not add anything to the language. All
| of your writing would mean exactly the same thing without the four letter
| words.

I'm afraid you are dead wrong here, chum. When a person says "I'm
angry"--it can be easily and non-trivially distinguished from "I'M
FUCKING ANGRY".

The writing would mean something similar, but very much different.

| I do not like reading such language, just as I do not particularly like
| hearing it.  It does not tone in well with the nature of this newsgroup.

Perhaps that was the idea...

nrg
--
"The  mythology  of the  language   machine  is  the   mythology  of a
technologically advanced society which has not yet  come to terms with

gall@yunexus.UUCP (Norm Gall) (02/15/90)

woodl@physc1.byu.edu writes:

| I would expect a LOT better from a senior VP of a Mac User's group!!!

Yes, indeed, I thought the invective was a little tame...

(note lack of smileys)

(thank you)

nrg

--
"The  mythology  of the  language   machine  is  the   mythology  of a
technologically advanced society which has not yet  come to terms with
its own linguistic self-awareness."  			  -- R. Harris

ngo@tammy.harvard.edu (Tom Ngo) (02/15/90)

Larry and Phil,

    Thanks for standing up for what you believe.  I agree: People
    resort to foul language when they aren't sufficiently articulate
    and self-confident to back up their views with convincing
    arguments.

    Jason, I'm sorry to sound condescending.  Your message offended me
    and I had to say something about it.

--Tom Ngo
  ngo@harvard.edu

haines> [Expletives deleted]
haines>  ___________________________________________________________________
haines> | Jason Haines, Senior Vice-President
haines> |___________________________________________________________________
wood>  I would expect a LOT better from a senior VP of a Mac User's group!!!
wood>  Larry Wood, Brigham Young University
ryan>  Jason, as a fellow Australian, I am immensely annoyed at your
ryan>  unnecessary usage of four letter words. We all know all the
ryan>  four letter words, but they nowadays have no real meaning and
ryan>  do not add anything to the language. All of your writing would
ryan>  mean exactly the same thing without the four letter words.
ryan>  ***************************************************
ryan>  Phil Ryan                                         *
ryan>  ANU Department of Physics and Theoretical Physics *
ryan>  Canberra, Australia                               *
ryan>  ***************************************************
--Tom Ngo
  ngo@harvard.harvard.edu

ngo@tammy.harvard.edu (Tom Ngo) writes:

| Larry and Phil,

|     Thanks for standing up for what you believe.  I agree: People
|     resort to foul language when they aren't sufficiently articulate
|     and self-confident to back up their views with convincing
|     arguments.

Trash... the orignal posting wasn't an argument but an avowal.

|     Jason, I'm sorry to sound condescending.  Your message offended me
|     and I had to say something about it.

Fine...

nrg

--

ngg@bridge2.ESD.3Com.COM (Norman Goodger) writes:

| In article <651@runxtsa.runx.oz.au> clubmac@runxtsa.runx.oz.au (Macintosh Users Group) writes:

[ expletives deleted ]

| I think that your reaction and language are the abomination, if you want
| to express your dislike of "crippleware" thats fine, but I and perhaps
| others could do without the lower level of language...there are far
| better ways to express dislike without nasty language, its just not
| necessary and makes me think less of you and your organization than it
| does of MacPassword.

Shallow thinking then..... if you've never stubbed your toe then said
'shit', then I'd suppose you were either anally retentive or your 'mom
brought you up right'.

Somehow I don;t think this guy really sent the message out to draw
comments... only to get something of his chest. If you don't like it,
ignore him... he'll go away.

If he thinks that his tirade will actually halt the spread of
crippleware, he's sillier that you people...

nrg

--

werner@cs.utexas.edu (Werner Uhrig) (02/15/90)

#
#| Jason Haines, Senior Vice-President                                         |
#| Club Mac - Australia's Largest Macintosh Users Group                        |

	I would like to encourage all those "not so Senior" VPs
	as well as the "simple members" of this user-group to
	dump their Senior Vice-President.  I was not surprised
	to hear from several individuals in Australia and New Zealand
	over the years that their personal impressions of Mr. Haines
	was bad enough never wanting to deal with him again.

lac@ecs.soton.ac.uk (Les Carr) (02/15/90)

Well, thanks to everyone for the interesting discussion on
the use of language (perhaps it should be cross-posted to an
arts/philosophy board for maximum exposure). What I would *really*
like to know is "what is the matter with MacPassword". I was
considering installing it, but ....

Thanks in advance.
--
L.Carr@ecs.soton.ac.uk               Les Carr
Tel: +44 703 593649                  Dept of Electronics and Computer Science

rsvp@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (R. Scott V. Paterson) (02/16/90)

In article <7623@yunexus.UUCP> gall@yunexus.UUCP (Norm Gall) writes:

>Shallow thinking then..... if you've never stubbed your toe then said
>'shit', then I'd suppose you were either anally retentive or your 'mom
>brought you up right'.

That reasoning is laughable.  When you swear after stubbing your tow,
it is not because you thought to, it is a pure unthinking reaction.

I think the same applies to the original posting.  Obviously very little
forethought.

-rsvp

gall@yunexus.UUCP (Norm Gall) (02/16/90)

rsvp@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (R. Scott V. Paterson) writes:

| In article <7623@yunexus.UUCP> gall@yunexus.UUCP (Norm Gall) writes:

| >Shallow thinking then..... if you've never stubbed your toe then said
| >'shit', then I'd suppose you were either anally retentive or your 'mom
| >brought you up right'.

| That reasoning is laughable.  When you swear after stubbing your tow,
| it is not because you thought to, it is a pure unthinking reaction.

| I think the same applies to the original posting.  Obviously very little
| forethought.

My reasoning is far from laughable... My point was precisely that the
original post "was a pure unthinking reaction"... exactly as you
surmise in your second para.

Perhaps _you_ should be thinking more before you hit 'R'.

nrg

--
"The  mythology  of the  language   machine  is  the   mythology  of a
technologically advanced society which has not yet  come to terms with
its own linguistic self-awareness."  			  -- R. Harris

jim@bilpin.UUCP (JimG) (02/16/90)

    #{v_mac.8}

    IN ARTICLE: <7604@yunexus.UUCP>, gall@yunexus.UUCP (Norm Gall) WRITES:

>   woodl@physc1.byu.edu writes:
>
>   | I would expect a LOT better from a senior VP of a Mac User's group!!!
>
>   Yes, indeed, I thought the invective was a little tame...
>
>   (note lack of smileys)

    Without any rational explanation of his ill favour, Mr Haines fulminates
    to no good purpose - unless we are expected to accept his condemnation
    of the program without question; the only fact with which we are
    supplied is that the program is large - hardly a capital offence. Having
    used MacSnoop by the same author for some time without any problems, I
    for one, being entirely unacquainted with Mr Haines, would need
    something more concrete on which to base my opinions. I wonder why it
    wasn't considered necessary to provide any useful information as to the
    precursors to this vilification? As it is, I am simply left with the
    impression that something went wrong, and someone didn't have a backup
    Another Fine Product from <mcvax!ukc!icdoc!bilpin!jim> <jim@bilpin.uucp>
			   {JimG : Hatfield, England}
		  This line has been intentionally left blank

danny@garnet.berkeley.edu (Danny Lee) (02/19/90)

	Next subject please !!

chma@iceman.jcu.oz (Michael Antolovich) (02/19/90)

In article <22woodl@physc1.byu.edu>, woodl@physc1.byu.edu writes:
> I would expect a LOT better from a senior VP of a Mac User's group!!!
>
> Larry Wood, Brigham Young University

	Yes but you don't know him like we do !! This IS his best !