[comp.sys.mac] systems/programs

ramsiri@blake.acs.washington.edu (Enartloc Nhoj) (02/10/90)

Ok.. a display of my ignorance:

I recently began using my ST as a mac...  so far, i haven't
run into any problems... however, i still am wrestling with
the "system folder" concept.  WHile the ST has an "auto" folder
into which one puts TSR's and other programs to run at boot-up,
i never had problems like i am having with the MAC system concept.

I know it is MY problem in understanding what happens to
the system folder... i guess it has to do with the fact theat
the system folder can be written to and corrupted by applications
and so on.. Here is my dilemma:

I bought the emulator and bought 6.0.3.  I then set up the
system folder with several cdevs and inits etc... some very nice
ones, i might add, in comparison to stuff available for the ST.

When i bought the Epson LQ Software package to drive my LQ800,
i began to realize some fundamental misconceptions i have about
how the system really works.  The driver came with an install
program and a folder which contained  a system 6.0.2 and
the epson driver with fonts...  i thought i could simply
copy all but the system 6.0.2 into my 6.0.3 folder on my
drive and all would work.  Well.. this wasn't the case.
I eventually made an entirely new system folder on my
drive in another partition from which i would boot when
i needed to print.  I didn't like the idea.. thinking i had
to have another entire system folder etc .. just to print..

Then i got a Russian tutorial program... this was came with 4.1 finder
and whatever the system was around in 1987... i loaded this onto
my drive.. . folders and files could NOT be found.. the application
ran fine.. but apparently some table of pointers was never created etc..
SO i popped the stuff off my drive back onto a floppy.. and booted from
the floppy. .. ran the program off the floppy.
  I can't imagine that i am going to have to have separate
system folders for "old" programs etc...  i obviously do NOT know
how to redirect the "old" program to look at and use the newest system.
The only other thing i can think is that a program actually
writes to the system and modifies it in some way.. this
would be weird, of course....

Another question:  is there a way to put the system folder into
a RAM disk?  Even with my Quantum at 1:1 interleave, accessing
the system to do OS maintenance is a bit slow...

Any and all help will be much appreciated...

-kevin]
ramsiri@blake.acs.washington.edu

jhlieske@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Jay Henry Lieske) (02/19/90)

Responding to: 9 Feb 90 19:26:55 GMT
ramsiri@blake.acs.washington.edu (Enartloc Nhoj)

	Having moved from the Atari ST to the Mac (by selling the
old 1040 and buying an SE, and keeping my Epson LQ800), I
understand some of your confusion.  First of all, you need to
know that Mac files contain _resources_, which include code
fragments, fonts, pictures, text, etc.

	The _System_ file is merely the repository of the most
important resources; _Finder is a program that acts as the
shell.  The corresponding files in TOS on the ST are built into
the ROM.
	The Installer programs copies resources from one file to
another; in theory, you should't have to copy the entire
System file from the Epson disk; you just need to copy certain
resources, which the Installer will do for you.  I installed
the Epson LQ driver on my Mac SE w/System 6.02, and it works OK.
I have had problems with other programs (Arkanoid for one) that
don't run with the driver installed.

	I don't know how to interpret your problem with the Russian
tutorial; perhaps you need to copy some fonts to the System file.
Make very certain, though, that you have only ONE copy of the System and
Finder on any disk; multiple copies is the cause of many problems.

	Hope I was of some help.
	--Jay

ramsiri@blake.acs.washington.edu (Enartloc Nhoj) (02/20/90)

In article <13954@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> jhlieske@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Jay Henry Lieske) writes:
>Responding to: 9 Feb 90 19:26:55 GMT
>ramsiri@blake.acs.washington.edu (Enartloc Nhoj)
>
>	Having moved from the Atari ST to the Mac (by selling the
>old 1040 and buying an SE, and keeping my Epson LQ800), I
>understand some of your confusion.  First of all, you need to
>know that Mac files contain _resources_, which include code
>fragments, fonts, pictures, text, etc.
>
>	The Installer programs copies resources from one file to
>another; in theory, you should't have to copy the entire
>System file from the Epson disk; you just need to copy certain
>resources, which the Installer will do for you.  I installed
>the Epson LQ driver on my Mac SE w/System 6.02, and it works OK.
>I have had problems with other programs (Arkanoid for one) that
>don't run with the driver installed.
>
>	Hope I was of some help.
>	--Jay

First, I would like to thank
all those kind Mac netters who have come to my rescue of late.
You are all much appreciated.

I TOO have had success with installing the LQ800 Epson driver
with system 6.0.2 .. my DIFFICULTY is getting teh
installer to work with system " 6.0.3"  ... it may
be that i don't need 6.0.3  or 6.0.4  or any future
update system files... I would like to think, however,
that i can upgrade my system as updates come along..
and simply reinstall the epson driver...  when i try to
install the epson driver with the included install program
with 6.0.3 on my hard disk,  i get the warning "System
older".. and it won't install.  If i simply copy everything
BUT the system 6.0.2 file from the Epson floppy onto my
hard drive.. use chooser etc .. font/DA to load the
Epson fonts... i get "Printworks not installed.  Use
installer program to install properly" .. when i run chooser and
try to print.  SO the end result is that i have a system folder
with 6.0.3 on my first PARTITION and a complete enviroment set-up
the way i like...and a system 6.0.2 folder in the NEXT logical
PARTITION...  this is not a problem since i disable the first
partition when booting up if i know that i am going to be printing.
SO far, i haven't noticed differences between 6.0.2 and 6.0.3
.. but there must be some!

Again,  thanks for all the help...

-kevin