[comp.sys.mac] Crippleware

rs4u+@andrew.cmu.edu (Richard Siegel) (02/10/88)

Personally, I think that "CrippleWare", that is, software that intentionally
has features disabled or rude messages that repeatedly are displayed, with
instructions to send money in order to get the features working/remove
the message, is the lowest form of nastiness.

I figure the following: If I release a piece of shareware, people are either
going to like it enough to send me some money, or they aren't! No amount
of irritation by putting in messages, disabling features, etc, is going
to change that.

Besides, it's a real pain to have to maintain two versions of the program;
one crippled, one not.

This goes for demo versions of commercial software, too. Agreed that distributi
demos is a good way to get exposed, but then again, anyone who's really interested is going to go to the dealer and look at it, anyway...

		--Rich

Aw hell, what do I know.

cnc@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Chris Christensen) (02/11/88)

>Personally, I think that "CrippleWare", that is, software that intentionally
>has features disabled or rude messages that repeatedly are displayed, with
>instructions to send money in order to get the features working/remove
>the message, is the lowest form of nastiness.
>
>I figure the following: If I release a piece of shareware, people are either
>going to like it enough to send me some money, or they aren't! No amount
>of irritation by putting in messages, disabling features, etc, is going
>to change that.

This is true, but what people forget is that those that do not send money
do not have any right to use the program. Given the fact that the recent
shareware surveys seem to indicate that we are all a bunch of crooks, I cannot
blame anyone for using this (admittedly irritating) tactic.

Chris

fiddler%concertina@Sun.COM (Steve Hix) (02/11/88)

In article <sW3pH2y00XcQzXk0PT@andrew.cmu.edu>, rs4u+@andrew.cmu.edu (Richard Siegel) writes:

> Personally, I think that "CrippleWare", that is, software that intentionally
> has features disabled or rude messages that repeatedly are displayed, with
> instructions to send money in order to get the features working/remove
> the message, is the lowest form of nastiness.
>
> This goes for demo versions of commercial software, too. Agreed that
> distributing demos is a good way to get exposed, but then again,
> anyone who's really interested is going to go to the dealer and look
> at it, anyway...

This assumes, of course that dealers within a reasonable travelling
range have anything interesting to demonstrate.  Or can actually demo
anything that they do have...no smiley.  One local dealer can't even
seem to keep a Mac +/SE/II running for longer than a day or so.

	seh

kurtzman@pollux.usc.edu (Stephen Kurtzman) (02/11/88)

In article <sW3pH2y00XcQzXk0PT@andrew.cmu.edu> rs4u+@andrew.cmu.edu (Richard Siegel) writes:

>Personally, I think that "CrippleWare", that is, software that intentionally
>has features disabled or rude messages that repeatedly are displayed, with
>instructions to send money in order to get the features working/remove
>the message, is the lowest form of nastiness.

CrippleWare is a good idea. That is, software that is "semi-functional". A
good example of this is the QuicKeys demo. It is powerful enough to demonstrate
the advantages of QuicKeys (it is even useful in its own right), but not enough
to compete with the product. It also has the advantage of letting the potential
customer mull over the idea of the product for some time before making the
decision to buy.

I don't consider rude messages as part of the CrippleWare idea. Rude messages
are annoying. There have been a couple of rude messages that have made me think
twice about buying a shareware product. In the cases where I am lukewarm but
leaning towards purchase, a rude message tips the scale and I don't buy.

peter@aucs.UUCP (Peter Steele) (02/15/88)

in article <41550@sun.uucp>, fiddler%concertina@Sun.COM (Steve Hix) says:

> In article <sW3pH2y00XcQzXk0PT@andrew.cmu.edu>, rs4u+@andrew.cmu.edu (Richard Siegel) writes:
>>
>> ... [stuff deleted]
>>
>> This goes for demo versions of commercial software, too. Agreed that
>> distributing demos is a good way to get exposed, but then again,
>> anyone who's really interested is going to go to the dealer and look
>> at it, anyway...
>
> This assumes, of course that dealers within a reasonable travelling
> range have anything interesting to demonstrate.  Or can actually demo
> anything that they do have...no smiley.  One local dealer can't even
> seem to keep a Mac +/SE/II running for longer than a day or so.
>
> 	seh

Our nearest Apple dealer keeps virtually nothing on his shelves. If
you want a demo, you're out of luck. I personally like companies that
provide demo software. One of the things that I do in my job is evaluate
software so I can advise other departments here what to buy. Ideally,
what I like to get is full-fledged versions of software strictly for
evaluation. Most companies don't have such policies. I was pleasantly
surprised the other day when I called Silicon Beach about Silicon
Press. They were pleasant to deal with and could answer all my questions
about the product. I was even more pleased when he said he'd send me
out an evaluation copy, no charge. I didn't even ask! He said that
they find sending evaluation copies the cheapist form of advertising.
If only more companies had that policy...

APDA, and they had never heard of it!
--
Peter Steele Acadia Univ. Wolfville NS Canada B0P1X0 (902)542-2201x121
UUCP:{uunet|watmath|utai|garfield}dalcs!aucs!Peter BITNET:Peter@Acadia

pete@titan.rice.edu (Pete Keleher) (02/14/90)

I've seen a lot of complaining about "crippleware" in this group, and I don't
understand why. Demos serve exactly the same service as shareware, you play
with the program and then send in your check if you like it. The only reasons
that I can see for complaining are:

	1) You don't like the lag time that it takes to process your check
	   and send you a working program.
	2) You have no intention of sending in a check.

I can sympathize with both (even the second because YES I HAVE SOME
SHAREWARE THAT I HAVEN'T PAID FOR), but I certainly can't criticise a guy
trying to make me send in a check.

--

Pete Keleher						pete@titan.rice.edu

hcj@lzsc.ATT.COM (HC Johnson) (02/16/90)

In article <PETE.90Feb14094827@titan.rice.edu>, pete@titan.rice.edu (Pete Keleher) writes:

> I've seen a lot of complaining about "crippleware" in this group, and I don't
> understand why. Demos serve exactly the same service as shareware, you play
> with the program and then send in your check if you like it. The only reasons
> that I can see for complaining are:
>
> 	1) You don't like the lag time that it takes to process your check
> 	   and send you a working program.
> 	2) You have no intention of sending in a check.

From what I've seen, the crippleware is also very large.  Probably due to being
"finished product".  Still the effect of size is to clog x.binaries (Usenet) or
cost a lot of download $ (Compuserve, GENIE).  All this overhead to get a
crippled product.

Howard C. Johnson
ATT Bell Labs
=====NEW address====
att!lzsc!hcj
hcj@lzsc.att.com

bchurch@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU (Bob Church) (02/20/90)

I'm very new to the mac, but with the computers that I have used
crippleware is nothing more than a form of advertising for a commercial
product. It can't actually be used, as in the case of PD or Shareware
software. Is this the case with MacPassword? If so, how do they justify
posting it to the net? Remember, not all netters have toll free access.
If I were to download a file of several K and then find that it was a
press release for DBASE IV or some such I'd probably be ready to use a
little profanity myself. Of course I now know better. I wouldn't want it
repeated several hundred times. It reminds me of he profanity hearing
scene in the movie Lenny.

*   bob church  bchurch@oucsace.cs.ohiou.edu                       *
*  If economics isn't an "exact" science why do computers crash    *
*  so much more often than the stock market?                       *
*                                          bc                      *