[comp.sys.mac] WDEF everywhere...

mithomas@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Michael Thomas Niehaus) (02/19/90)

It seems that we have the wonderful WDEF virus all over the place here at Ball
State.  Fortunately, we found out where it came from in our case.

Ball State is an avid user of WordPerfect for the PC.  When WP for the Mac came
out, they site licensed it to complement their site license of WP PC.  (Yeah.)

Now back in December, WordPerfect shipped a master disk for the WP 1.0.3 update
to BSU.  This master disk contained the WDEF virus, which was then spread to the
whole campus.

Apparently WordPerfect figured this out and notified the campus, which promptly
went around to all of the labs and removed it (and they have now upgraded SAM
so they should be in good shape).  But no one bothered telling the faculty about
this, and most of the faculty do not have SAM.

I'd like to see you try to tell over 800 faculty members that they now have to
go through all 50 of their disks to remove the virus from all of them...

-Michael

--
Michael Niehaus        UUCP: <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee}!bsu-cs!mithomas
Apple Student Rep      ARPA:  mithomas@bsu-cs.bsu.edu

roy@phri.nyu.edu (Roy Smith) (02/20/90)

mithomas@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Michael Thomas Niehaus) writes:
> WordPerfect shipped a master disk for the WP 1.0.3 update to BSU.  This
> master disk contained the WDEF virus

	Along the same lines, we were notified last week that one of the
recent Reference Update disks was infected with WDEF.  If you susbscibe to
Reference Update, or know of somebody who does, you should contact the RU
folks for more info.  For those that havn't heard of it, Reference Update
is a weekly Current-Contents-on-floppy-disk sort of thing.
455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016
roy@alanine.phri.nyu.edu -OR- {att,philabs,cmcl2,rutgers,hombre}!phri!roy
"My karma ran over my dogma"

dorner@pequod.cso.uiuc.edu (Steve Dorner) (02/21/90)

In article <10774@bsu-cs.bsu.edu> mithomas@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Michael Thomas Niehaus) writes:
>I'd like to see you try to tell over 800 faculty members that they now have to
>go through all 50 of their disks to remove the virus from all of them...

As long as you have this unpleasant task, you might as well remove WordPerfect
from their disks, too; it's no more useful than the virus... :-)
Internet: s-dorner@uiuc.edu  UUCP: {convex,uunet}!uiucuxc!dorner