[comp.sys.mac] New Lines in Word

tjs@earth.wustl.edu (tom sullivan) (02/15/90)

I've got a couple pet peeves with MicroSoft Word, but it's still
my favorite for the Mac. Maybe someone can help make me a bit
happier with it, so i've got a couple questions.

(1) when you "insert a line break" (shift-return), and the paragraph
    is set for justified mode, is it possible to prevent MSW 4.0
    from    spreading    your    text    out    like    this    line?

(2) when you're doing auto-numbered references, is there a way to get
    MSW to do it like you'd find in an IEEE Journal. you've really got
    to have [1] like references and not the stupid "high school"
    superscript ones.

these are two of my complaints that are nothing big, but something i
think should be possible to get around.

thanks,

tom sullivan

jrk@sys.uea.ac.uk (Richard Kennaway) (02/16/90)

In article <1990Feb15.051225.12022@cec1.wustl.edu> tjs@earth.wustl.edu (tom sullivan) writes:
>(1) when you "insert a line break" (shift-return), and the paragraph
>    is set for justified mode, is it possible to prevent MSW 4.0
>    from    spreading    your    text    out    like    this    line?

This was possible in Word 3.01: option-return gave you a non-paragraph-
breaking, non-justifying line-break just like you want.  In show-control-
characters mode, it would appear as a paragraph mark, but did not in fact
break the paragraph.

This doesnt work in Word 4.  In Word 4, option-return is equivalent to
plain return.  However, you can get the required effect thusly:

0.  Find a copy of Word 3.01.  (Probably the most difficult step.)
1.  Use Word 3.01 to make a document containing an option-return.
2.  Open the document with Word 4.  Whatever object it is that Word 3.01
inserted when you hit option-return, it behaves in the same way in Word 4.
You cant make more of them with that keystroke, but you can duplicate
them by copy and paste.
3.  To make it more easily accessible, you can make a glossary entry
which will insert the object, and use Word 4's wonderful Commands command
to bind it to the option-return keystroke, and it will behave just like
Word 3.01.

>(2) when you're doing auto-numbered references, is there a way to get
>    MSW to do it like you'd find in an IEEE Journal. you've really got
>    to have [1] like references and not the stupid "high school"
>    superscript ones.

I don't know if this can be arranged automatically, but you can always
change the character format of the reference mark to plain and type
brackets round it.

--
Richard Kennaway          SYS, University of East Anglia, Norwich, U.K.
Internet:  jrk@sys.uea.ac.uk		uucp:  ...mcvax!ukc!uea-sys!jrk

nilesinc@well.sf.ca.us (Avi Rappoport) (02/21/90)

In article <1990Feb15.051225.12022@cec1.wustl.edu> tjs@earth.wustl.edu (tom sullivan) writes:
>I've got a couple pet peeves with MicroSoft Word, but it's still
>
>(2) when you're doing auto-numbered references, is there a way to get
>    MSW to do it like you'd find in an IEEE Journal. you've really got
>    to have [1] like references and not the stupid "high school"
>    superscript ones.

EndNote works with Word 4, and takes care of the whole problem of numbered
references.  Also lets you use the same data in other bibliographic styles
in other papers.

Please send me mail if you have any questions about how it works.

Claimer: I work for Niles & Associates, programming and doing tech support
for EndNote.  Therefore, I'm biased!

--
--  Help me justify my online bills: ask me EndNote questions, please!  --
Avi Rappoport                               2000 Hearst, Berkeley, CA 94709