[comp.sys.mac] Unix '.Z' to Mac

haphip@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (Jeffq) (02/20/90)

I have a rather large file on my home dir on a Unix computer, and when compressed, it is very small.  I would like to DOWNLOAD it while it's compressed and then
de-compress it here on my Mac at home.  The 'compress <filename> command uses
Lempel-Ziv to compress the file then slaps a '.Z' on it.  Are there any programsthat are specificially designed to un-pack lempel-ziv type files? Stuffit HAS
Lempel-Ziv, but it doesn't recoginze the text file, and changing it to a SIT!
format just crashes the system.  Urg!  If there is such a program, somebody
MAIL it to me!  Or at least tell me 'bout it.  Thanks!

news@blackbird.afit.af.mil (News System Account) (02/21/90)

In article <1376@darkstar.ucsc.edu> haphip@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (Jeffq) writes:
>I have a rather large file on my home dir on a Unix computer, and when
>compressed, it is very small.  I would like to DOWNLOAD it while it's
>compressed and then de-compress it here on my Mac at home.

There is a program at sumex in the info-mac.unix directory named
MacCompress... (I think it is maccompress-30.hqx but I'm not sure)
that both 'compresses' and 'uncompresses' files. It has an option
which decompresses a Unix text file into the Mac text file format
(and vice-versa). The sumex file also includes documentation. I use
MacCompress frequently for passing files to and from the Unix
mainframe I use and I've never had any problems with it.

Bob Pugh