[comp.sys.mac] SunDesk bomb on Restart or Shutdown...

t-jacobs@cs.utah.edu (Tony Jacobs) (02/15/90)

I'm getting a bomb (id=1 Buss error) when I do a restart or a shutdown. This
is caused by SunDesk somehow. Anyone else have this problem?

I've heard it said that 32-bit Quickdraw is need but I do not have it installed
and SunDesk is working. Is 32-bit Quickdraw built into 6.04?

This occurs on both my CX at work and at home. I've tried it with only SunDesk
and CPSDelete Tracking and Desktop Manager running, same effect.

Any Ideas?

Tony Jacobs * Center for Engineering Design * U of U * t-jacobs@cs.utah.edu

truesdel@ics.uci.edu (Scott Truesdell) (02/15/90)

t-jacobs@cs.utah.edu (Tony Jacobs) writes:

>I'm getting a bomb (id=1 Buss error) when I do a restart or a shutdown. This
>is caused by SunDesk somehow. Anyone else have this problem?

Not I.

>I've heard it said that 32-bit Quickdraw is need but I do not have it installed
>and SunDesk is working. Is 32-bit Quickdraw built into 6.04?

Yes.

>This occurs on both my CX at work and at home. I've tried it with only SunDesk
>and CPSDelete Tracking and Desktop Manager running, same effect.

I use SunDesk 1.0b6 on Mac II, IIx, and IIcx. All are running System
6.0.3.  All have 32-bit QuickDraw in the System Folder. None are
running Desktop Manager or CPSDelete.

Starting on Friday, February 16, 1990, I will have ResColors, SunDesk, and
other FreeWare available for anonymous ftp from ics.uci.edu. These files
will be kept current and updated. All files will be "Stuffed" and BinHexed.

	site		ics.uci.edu
	address		128.195.1.1
	login		anonymous
	password	guest
	path		~ftp/pub/mac

  --scott

--
Scott Truesdell

roland@dna.lth.se (Roland Mansson) (02/17/90)

In article <1990Feb14.100715.26125@hellgate.utah.edu> t-jacobs@cs.utah.edu (Tony Jacobs) writes:
>I'm getting a bomb (id=1 Buss error) when I do a restart or a shutdown. This
>is caused by SunDesk somehow. Anyone else have this problem?

Yes. SunDesk installs a shutdown task. It's purpose is to see if the syz
resource in SunDesk (the INIT itself) needs to be modified. I had this
problem when I updated SunDesk (from SunDesk 1.0b6 to SunDesk 1.0). My
file names includes the version numbers. Maybe SunDesk gets confused if it
has been removed or renamed?

>I've heard it said that 32-bit Quickdraw is need but I do not have it installed
>and SunDesk is working. Is 32-bit Quickdraw built into 6.04?

No (it is built-in in the ci, but not in 6.0.4).

roland@dna.lth.se (Roland Mansson) (02/19/90)

In article <1990Feb17.140735.21165@lth.se> roland@dna.lth.se (Roland Mansson) writes:
>In article <1990Feb14.100715.26125@hellgate.utah.edu> t-jacobs@cs.utah.edu (Tony Jacobs) writes:
>>I'm getting a bomb (id=1 Buss error) when I do a restart or a shutdown. This
>>is caused by SunDesk somehow. Anyone else have this problem?
>>
>Yes. SunDesk installs a shutdown task. It's purpose is to see if the syz
>resource in SunDesk (the INIT itself) needs to be modified. I had this
>problem when I updated SunDesk (from SunDesk 1.0b6 to SunDesk 1.0). My
>file names includes the version numbers. Maybe SunDesk gets confused if it
>has been removed or renamed?

I got the following reply directly from the authour:
Dear Roland,

The problem was solved in 1.0.

Yours,

Frederic.

PS: I will upload 1.1 by the end of the week to nOne preferred ftp site :
    .host..ics.uci.edu
    .IP address.128.195.1.1
    .login..anonymous
    .password.guest
    .path..uftp/pub/mac/SunDesk

featuring sunny cursors !

truesdel@ics.uci.edu (Scott Truesdell) (02/21/90)

>I got the following reply directly from the authour:
>Dear Roland,

>The problem was solved in 1.0.

>Yours,

>Frederic.

>PS: I will upload 1.1 by the end of the week to nOne preferred ftp site :
>    .host..ics.uci.edu
>    .IP address.128.195.1.1
>    .login..anonymous
>    .password.guest
>    .path..uftp/pub/mac/SunDesk

>featuring sunny cursors !

Sun of the characters didn't make it across the Atlantic; notably
tildes and tabs. 	"path ..uftp/pub/mac/SunDesk"  should read,
			"path	~ftp/pub/mac/SunDesk".

In any event, you will be at directory ~ftp after you log on so you
would type "cd pub/mac/SunDesk".

  --scott

"If it goes in, it must come out." Testicles deviant to Fudd's first law.

--
Scott Truesdell