[comp.sys.mac] FDHD Problems

lim@iris.ucdavis.edu (Lloyd Lim) (10/11/89)

I've been having some problems with the FDHD in my IIcx lately.  I'll describe
the problems with 800K and 1.4M disks separately.  I don't know if they are
related.

800K:  I have a large number of 800K disks with files accumulated from my Mac
Plus.  Every once in a while when I copy a new file to one of these old disks
the FDHD gives a write error.  This doesn't happen in the Plus internal or
either of my two 800K externals.  The disks verify in the FDHD and I never get
read errors, just write errors.  I'd estimate an 800K disk goes bad once about
every two weeks.  I can reinitialize them in the 800K drives but not the FDHD.
Not trusting these disks, I've just been replacing them.

1.4M:  The problem with these just came up lately and I got worried.  I use
these disks for backups of large projects.  About two weeks ago, one of the
1.4M disks developed a write error and will not reinitialize.  Yesterday, I
lost another disk the same way.

Does this sound like a media or drive problem?  All of my disks are Sony.
I've tried reinitialize when the floppies and machine are hot and cold with
no success.  Since my IIcx is out of its SHORT WARRANTY PERIOD already, I don't
want to bring it in and get charged unless I'm fairly sure they can fix it.

+++
Lloyd Lim     Internet: lim@iris.ucdavis.edu (128.120.57.20)
              Compuserve: 72647,660
              US Mail: 146 Lysle Leach Hall, U.C. Davis, Davis, CA 95616

magik@chinet.chi.il.us (Ben Liberman) (10/12/89)

In article <5570@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu> lim@iris.ucdavis.edu (Lloyd Lim) writes:
>I've been having some problems with the FDHD in my IIcx lately.

I've been having the same problem with a FDHD in my SE/30.  I've had several
800K disks (all Sony) fail to initialize after being used for awhile.
The same disks will format in a Mac+, just not in the FDHD.  I also had my
only 1.4 meg disk fail, sent it to Sony for replacement, and had the
replacement disk fail after 2 months of daily use (saving 2 files to 1.4 disk
at the end of each day).

--
	------------    ------------   ----------------------
	Ben Liberman    USENET         magik@chinet.chi.il.us

bs27@umd5.umd.edu (Tae H Kim) (10/14/89)

I have a problem with the 1.44M disks in my IIcx.  So far I bought 10
Sony HD disks and two of them failed the verification phase of the
initialization.  I tried many times to initialize them but it did no good.
I didn't throw them away because I found out they work fine as 800K disks.
I don't like the idea of paying for an HD disk and getting a DD disk.

Is this common or did I just buy sorry disks?

		-Tae
		bs27@umd5.umd.edu

dweeb@norby.acns.nwu.edu (Phil Tracy) (10/14/89)

Chalk one up to philanthropy.  I've been noticing a number of messages
regarding problems of one sort or another with FDHD's in the SE/30, IIcx,
and IIx series.  Since I've noticed a bit of 'flakey' behavior in my
own, I've decided to take up the crusade.  So, if you've had any problems
with your FDHD, (other than using the wrong type of disks), please send
me mail (dweeb@norby.acns.nwu.edu) giving a short description of the
problem encountered, the model of Mac you have, and brand of floppies.
I will keep track for a week or so, and summarize to the net, if response
indicates a serious problem.  (i.e., more than 2 or 3 people describe very
similar symptoms)  Be sure to include 'FDHD' in the subject of
you mail.  Thank you for you cooperation.

p.s.  I hope I'm just imagining things. ;-)

Phil Tracy  (dweeb@norby.acns.nwu.edu)
Northwestern University
Evanston, IL

nicholso@hpesoc1.HP.COM (Ron Nicholson) (10/25/89)

/ lim@iris.ucdavis.edu (Lloyd Lim) /  5:32 pm  Oct 10, 1989 / writes:
>I've been having some problems with the FDHD in my IIcx lately.

Hmmm. I've been having similar problems with the FDHD in my 6 week
old SE30.

I wonder if there is some compatibility problem between the 800k disk
drives and the FDHD drives that they aren't talking about.  Something
like a difference in the width of the erase heads or the timing of
turning off the erase current could cause these kinds of problems.

---
Ronald H. Nicholson, Jr.		Hewlett Packard
uucp: nicholso@hpesoc1.HP.COM 		Cupertino, CA
(408) 447-6603				#include <canonical disclaimer>
Original Mac Hardware Wizard #5

kehr@felix.UUCP (Shirley Kehr) (10/27/89)

In article <4250006@hpesoc1.HP.COM> nicholso@hpesoc1.HP.COM (Ron Nicholson) writes:
>/ lim@iris.ucdavis.edu (Lloyd Lim) /  5:32 pm  Oct 10, 1989 / writes:
>>I've been having some problems with the FDHD in my IIcx lately.
>
>Hmmm. I've been having similar problems with the FDHD in my 6 week
>old SE30.

Something interesting happened to me. I had a diskette fail on the SE/30
so I took it to work and used it on the Mac II. After using it for a few
weeks, I wanted to take something home that was on that diskette. When I
put it in the SE/30 again it worked just fine.

Shirley Kehr

jcocon%hazel.cs.clemson.edu@hubcap.clemson.edu (James C. O'Connor III, 2841) (02/07/90)

My Dad has a Mac SE with 2 FDHD drives in them.  The machine is about 2 months
old and is going through Kao 1.4 Meg floppies.  They initialize okay, but then
experience read/write errors latter.  Any ideas, suggestions, comments?"Bn~?~
Jim

mead@hamal.usc.edu (Dick Mead) (02/07/90)

	I'll assume Kao HD disks are not inferior. Try using a dedicated
	diskette in each FD drive, to see if both develope the errors.
	Also, on a fresh diskette, open the shutter and inspect the surface
	carefully, looking for rings scratched into the media, and if you
	see that develope after some use, the drive doing it is faulty.
	There are probably a thousand other reasons and thing to do, but
	this is were I'd start. (Of course, you could try another disk vendor).

mead@hamal.usc.edu (Dick Mead) (02/21/90)

	Okay, Apple. It's time to take a long hard look at your FDHD's
	and talk to your vendor. I have seen constant complaints revolving
	around these drives. I have personally seen a diskette failure rate
	quadruple using an FDHD over the 800k drive. I now have in my hand
	one of your SE/30 tour diskettes that was removed from the package
	and a format attempted, which failed! I can now see a very noticable
	ring scraped into the media. What's going on, Apple? For the money
	one must pay for this equipment, I expect better. When many users
	complain about new, high quality, HD diskettes failing in a short
	period on your FDHD, you'd better take notice and get some answers!