[comp.sys.mac] SID

isle@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Ken Hancock) (02/07/90)

Does anyone have a copy of the kit available from Compuserve
describing this?  Could someone please mail me a copy and
I'll forward to comp.binaries.mac and sumex?

Thanks in advance --

Ken

--
Ken Hancock '90            | DISCLAIMER: I'm graduating and looking for
Consultant                 |             a job, so I'll stand by my words.

lnk10562@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (02/08/90)

Wherefore art SID in the compu-$erve libraries?  I looked all around today
(esp. in the MACPRO, MACFUN, and MACDEV forums), and I didn't see any mention.
I will forward it if I can find it!

Louis Koziarz
lnk10562@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu
University of Illinois at Champaign/Urbana
Free Chevy Blazer with enrollment!

arvidson@euclid.MATH.ColoState.Edu (John Arvidson) (02/13/90)

Does anyone know where I can get a copy of the SID kit referred to in the
Feb. 6 MacWeek?  I have poked at a few archive sites with no luck.  I also
have access to GEnie but couldn't seem to locate it there either.

John Arvidson
arvidson@euclid.math.colostate.edu

root@brain.UUCP (Chuck Shotton) (02/14/90)

arvidson@euclid.MATH.ColoState.Edu (John Arvidson) writes:

>Does anyone know where I can get a copy of the SID kit referred to in the
>Feb. 6 MacWeek?  I have poked at a few archive sites with no luck.  I also
>have access to GEnie but couldn't seem to locate it there either.

>John Arvidson
>arvidson@euclid.math.colostate.edu

SID IS available on GEnie (at least, that's where I got it) on page 606. Just
use menu option 3 to search for "SID" and you should find it.

While we're on the topic, has anyone out there in NetLand successfully built
a SID yet? If so, where did you find the ceramic resonator called out int
the parts list? I've got all the parts except that one, and that one is
pretty important.

Chuck Shotton
cshotton@girch1.hsch.utexas.edu
...!buster!brain!root

gchow@undergrad.cs.ubc.ca (george kai yee chow) (02/20/90)

I ftp'ed SID off of Sumex last week and managed to tried it over
the last weekend with my MacRecorder.  I esp. like the record to
disk capability (I'm using the SID Test Util) but have ran into
a minor problem.  My direct-to-disk recordings 'skips' every 2.2
seconds or so (@22Khz sampling) because of the double buffering.
I have a 4Mb SE with a 40ms drive.  Is that too slow?  I went thru
the source code and it did mention that some skips are to be
expected on 'slower' Mac/hd combos.  I was wondering, is my combo
too slow?

gchow@undergrad.cs.ubc.ca (george kai yee chow) (02/20/90)

I ftp'ed SID off of Sumex last week and managed to tried it over
the last weekend with my MacRecorder.  I esp. like the record to
disk capability (I'm using the SID Test Util) but have ran into
a minor problem.  My direct-to-disk recordings 'skips' every 2.2
seconds or so (@22Khz sampling) because of the double buffering.
I have a 4Mb SE with a 40ms drive.  I went thru
the source code and it did mention that some skips are to be
expected on 'slower' Mac/hd combos.  Is my combo too slow?  (Have
anyone tried SID on a say, Mac II or faster machine?)

ALE101@psuvm.psu.edu (Allen Edmiston) (02/20/90)

In article <1990Feb19.204627.674@undergrad.cs.ubc.ca>, gchow@undergrad.cs.ubc.ca
(george kai yee chow) says:
>[..............]  My direct-to-disk recordings 'skips' every 2.2
>seconds or so (@22Khz sampling) because of the double buffering.
>I have a 4Mb SE with a 40ms drive.  I went thru
>the source code and it did mention that some skips are to be
>expected on 'slower' Mac/hd combos.  Is my combo too slow?  (Have
>anyone tried SID on a say, Mac II or faster machine?)

I've tried to run the program with the MacRecorder on my IIci w/4m & 80m setup
... it didn't work well at all, i could hardly tell what was recorded. i only
tried one/two disk records, but the ram records sounded just as bad... why?
i have no idea. i basically tried it since i dont want to have to pay
$50 to upgrade to the newer version on soundedit so i can use the recorder.
you'd think farallon would have made the older version 1.0 of soundedit
compatible with the IIci and not force users to upgrade with fifty bucks.

                                                   Adrian Sullivan
                                                   axs@psuarch.bitnet

gchow@undergrad.cs.ubc.ca (george kai yee chow) (02/21/90)

 > it didn't work well at all, i could hardly tell what was recorded.

That's strange.  SID worked just as well as SoundEdit.  What I do when I use
SID is to first calibrate my MacRecorder with Soundedit first, then record
with SID.  Have you tried that?  The thing for me is that having those periodic
skips is quite unacceptable for music.