[comp.sys.mac] Installing 6.0.4

gshapiro@wpi.wpi.edu (Gregory N. Shapiro) (10/23/89)

I am having a problem installing System 6.04 on my Mac Plus.
Everytime I install it (custom installation for all Mac Models),
everything goes ok until I try to boot.  I get the Welcome to
Macintosh message for about 5 seconds then a dialog box telling me the
System file may be damaged and to use the Installer to correct this.
I have used the Installer 4 times with no avail.  This happens on both
of my hard drives (Apple 40SC (Quantum ProDrive) and Ehman Engineering 60+
(Seagate 277N)).  Has anybody had similiar problems??? Any suggestions???

						Greg

 Gregory Shapiro                                              Gregory Shapiro
 Worcester Polytechnic Institute              Worcester Polytechnic Institute
 GSHAPIRO@WPI.WPI.EDU (130.215.24.1)                                 Box 1397
 GSHAPIRO@WPI.BITNET                                       100 Institute Road
 GEnie: GShapiro                               Worcester, Massachusetts 01609
 MacNet: GShapiro                                               United States

macman@wpi.wpi.edu (Christopher Silverberg) (10/24/89)

In article <4970@wpi.wpi.edu> gshapiro@wpi.wpi.edu (Gregory N. Shapiro) writes:
>I am having a problem installing System 6.04 on my Mac Plus.

I believe system 6.04 was designed for use with the new Portable Mac, and
may not be compatible with the Plus. But i'm sure someone will be able to give
you a better answer than this.

 (.) (.) | Chris Silverberg, WPI Box 719    | BBS Sysop: Main Street U.S.A
    u    | USENET: macman@wpi.wpi.edu       | 2400 baud - (508) 832-7725
  \___/  | BITNET: macman@wpi.bitnet        | Fido: 322/575 - Red Ryder Host

gshapiro@wpi.wpi.edu (Gregory N. Shapiro) (10/24/89)

In article <4979@wpi.wpi.edu>, macman@wpi.wpi.edu (Christopher Silverberg) writes:
> In article <4970@wpi.wpi.edu> gshapiro@wpi.wpi.edu (Gregory N. Shapiro) writes:
> >I am having a problem installing System 6.04 on my Mac Plus.
>
> I believe system 6.04 was designed for use with the new Portable Mac, and
> may not be compatible with the Plus. But i'm sure someone will be able to give
> you a better answer than this.

	System 6.04 is designed to work on all Macs, just as the rest
of the System 6 line did.  It works booting off floppy and switch
launching to the hard drive (Command-Option-Double Click on Finder)
but refuses to boot off the Hard Drives.

isle@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Ken Hancock) (10/24/89)

In article <4979@wpi.wpi.edu> ghapiro@wpi.wpi.edu (Gregory N. Shapiro) writes:
>In article <4970@wpi.wpi.edu> gshapiro@wpi.wpi.edu (Gregory N. Shapiro) writes:
>>I am having a problem installing System 6.04 on my Mac Plus.
>
>I believe system 6.04 was designed for use with the new Portable Mac, and
>may not be compatible with the Plus. But i'm sure someone will be able to give
>you a better answer than this.

Beg to differ.  6.0.4 installed with no problems on my MacPlus.  6.0.4
is compatible with MacPlus - Mac IIci.

On an aside, can someone from Apple confirm that the floppy drive
head-parking before eject fix has been included in 6.0.4?  If not,
I'll stick with SafeEject for now.

Thanks --

Ken

--
Ken Hancock  '90                     | E-mail: (BITNET/UUCP/INTERNET)
Computer Resource Center Consultant  |    isle@eleazar.dartmouth.edu

>>I believe system 6.04 was designed for use with the new Portable Mac, and
>>may not be compatible with the Plus. But i'm sure someone will be able to give
>>you a better answer than this.

This is a great example of why, if you aren't sure of the answer, you should
simply stay quiet and let someone who is sure answer. Publicly saying "I
don't know." doesn't answer the question, and answering it wrong simply adds
to the confusion.

>Beg to differ.  6.0.4 installed with no problems on my MacPlus.  6.0.4
>is compatible with MacPlus - Mac IIci.

True. 6.0.4 is compatible with everything 6.0.3 was compatible with, plus
the IIci and the Portable. I haven't tried it on my 512ke yet, but I expect
it'll work there, too, since 6.0.3 works.

>On an aside, can someone from Apple confirm that the floppy drive
>head-parking before eject fix has been included in 6.0.4?  If not,
>I'll stick with SafeEject for now.

Yes, they *did* fix it. It's in the release notes somewhere.

--

Chuq Von Rospach <+> Editor,OtherRealms <+> Member SFWA/ASFA
chuq@apple.com <+> CI$: 73317,635 <+> [This is myself speaking]

Trust Mama Nature to remind us just how important things like sci.aquaria's
name really is in the scheme of things.

c8s-an@franny.Berkeley.EDU (Alex Lau) (10/24/89)

In article <4970@wpi.wpi.edu> gshapiro@wpi.wpi.edu (Gregory N. Shapiro) writes:

>I am having a problem installing System 6.04 on my Mac Plus.
>Everytime I install it (custom installation for all Mac Models),
>everything goes ok until I try to boot.  I get the Welcome to
>Macintosh message for about 5 seconds then a dialog box telling me the
>System file may be damaged and to use the Installer to correct this.
>I have used the Installer 4 times with no avail.  This happens on both
>of my hard drives (Apple 40SC (Quantum ProDrive) and Ehman Engineering 60+
>(Seagate 277N)).  Has anybody had similiar problems??? Any suggestions???

>						Greg

Check for viruses; I've heard of this problem before, and it
was solved then by finding and eliminating an nVIR virus.
It seems Apple has put in some virus-checking code, but they
never told anyone about it, and they didn't do it correctly
either.

--- Alex
(not at home machine, no .sig)

fodder
fodder

mjkobb@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Michael J Kobb) (10/24/89)

In article <4980@wpi.wpi.edu> gshapiro@wpi.wpi.edu (Gregory N. Shapiro) writes:

>	System 6.04 is designed to work on all Macs, just as the rest
>of the System 6 line did.  It works booting off floppy and switch
>launching to the hard drive (Command-Option-Double Click on Finder)
>but refuses to boot off the Hard Drives.
     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

WHAT!!!!???!?!??!

Could you elaborate on that last statement a bit?  I hope you don't mean that
6.0.4 can't be launched from a hard disk.  I'd say that wouldn't be very
usable, wouldn't you?  :-)

--Mike

hpoppe@bierstadt.ucar.edu (Herb Poppe) (10/25/89)

In article <35858@apple.Apple.COM> chuq@Apple.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) writes:
>>On an aside, can someone from Apple confirm that the floppy drive
>>head-parking before eject fix has been included in 6.0.4?  If not,
>>I'll stick with SafeEject for now.
>
>Yes, they *did* fix it. It's in the release notes somewhere.

I copied the document "Change History 6.0.4" from apple.com and did
not see mention of this fix there. The only thing vaguely related
was a Finder fix:

"Fixed a bug which caused disk insertion events
to be missed on Macintosh Plus."

I would assume that "head-parking before eject" would be a driver level fix.

So, can we do without SafeEject or not? I don't care to rip another
head out of my Sony drive.

Herb Poppe      NCAR                         INTERNET: hpoppe@ncar.ucar.edu
(303) 497-1296  P.O. Box 3000                   CSNET: hpoppe@ncar.CSNET
		Boulder, CO  80307               UUCP: hpoppe@ncar.UUCP

> >>On an aside, can someone from Apple confirm that the floppy drive
> >>head-parking before eject fix has been included in 6.0.4?

> So, can we do without SafeEject or not? I don't care to rip another
> head out of my Sony drive.

Just to make sure, I went over to Applelink and got the real data. If
you're running the new machines (IIci, Portable and IIcx) the fix for this
is in ROM. The fix is also installed in 6.0.4 (for hardcore hacker types,
it's implemented as resource 'ptch=7'). So if you are running 6.0.4, you do
not need SafeEject.

--

Chuq Von Rospach <+> Editor,OtherRealms <+> Member SFWA/ASFA
chuq@apple.com <+> CI$: 73317,635 <+> [This is myself speaking]

Trust Mama Nature to remind us just how important things like sci.aquaria's
name really is in the scheme of things.

6600pete@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (GurgleKat [Pete Gontier]) (02/21/90)

I'm probably the only one who feels this way, but conformity be
damned!

I don't like the new System Installer.

Primarily, I don't like the fact that I can't figure what to put on a
hard disk volume so that I can do installations for any machine onto
floppies without swapping disks in and out of my own floppy drive. On
one hand, it means I can remove the Installer partition from my drive
and get some more space, but on the other hand installations are going
to be a pain from here on out.

I was also pretty peeved when the Installer appeared to be replacing
my Scrapbook, but was later relieved to find out that it wasn't.

Finally, I don't like the way that I actually have to scroll the
Custom installation list a few pages before I arrive at the SE/30
option.

What was so terrible about the Installer the way it was?
Hire this kid  | Mac, DOS, C, Pascal, asm, excellent communication skills