[comp.sys.mac] Better inter-application graphi

gillies@p.cs.uiuc.edu (02/21/90)

> We too have suffered from problems when transferring simple pictures
> from MacDraw II 1.1v1 to MS Word and a variety of other applications.

My general impression is that MacDraw II is too flakey.  v1.1 doesn't
seem to export pictures at > 72dpi precision.  Therefore, whenever you
leave MacDraw, your clipboard gets perverted, usually in the wrong
way, mangling whatever you had cut.  One solution is to upgrade to
v1.2 of the software, I'm told.  Saving as "PICT" pre-mangles your
picture, apparently in the desired manner.

Aligning something at 400% does not guarantee alignment when printed
on a postscript laser printer.  Often, I had to align something at
1600% in order to get the needed results.  I suspect this problem is
due to a lack of understanding of numerical analysis on the part of
the software architects.  This problem is so fundamental, that I have
abandoned using the software.  Now I use canvas.

Don Gillies, Dept. of Computer Science, University of Illinois
1304 W. Springfield, Urbana, Ill 61801
ARPA: gillies@cs.uiuc.edu   UUCP: {uunet,harvard}!uiucdcs!gillies

kaufman@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Marc T. Kaufman) (02/21/90)

In article <126900187@p.cs.uiuc.edu> gillies@p.cs.uiuc.edu writes:

.My general impression is that MacDraw II is too flakey.  v1.1 doesn't
.seem to export pictures at > 72dpi precision...

.Aligning something at 400% does not guarantee alignment when printed
.on a postscript laser printer.  Often, I had to align something at
.1600% in order to get the needed results.  I suspect this problem is
.due to a lack of understanding of numerical analysis on the part of
.the software architects.  This problem is so fundamental, that I have
.abandoned using the software.  Now I use canvas.

Actually, you should align at 417% to get exact matches with the Laserwriter.
OR set the exact-bitmaps bit in the LW dialog (giving you exactly 4:1 scaling)

Marc Kaufman (kaufman@neon.stanford.edu)