[comp.sys.mac] Desktop decorating tip of the month

eacj@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Julian Vrieslander) (02/21/90)

Here's a Desktop decorating tip for style-conscious Mac hackers.  Using Facade
and ResEdit, you can replace your startup disk's icon with a copy of the
Trashcan icon.  This results in a nice symmetrical pair of cans at the right
edge of the screen.  You can also change their names to (you guessed it):
"Garbage In" and "Garbage Out".
--
Julian Vrieslander
Neurobiology & Behavior, W250 Mudd Hall, Cornell University, Ithaca NY 14853

aland@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu (Alan D Danziger) (02/22/90)

In article <9767@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> eacj@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (Julian Vrieslander) writes:
>Here's a Desktop decorating tip for style-conscious Mac hackers.  Using Facade
>and ResEdit, you can replace your startup disk's icon with a copy of the
>Trashcan icon.  This results in a nice symmetrical pair of cans at the right
>edge of the screen.  You can also change their names to (you guessed it):
>"Garbage In" and "Garbage Out".
>--
>Julian Vrieslander
>Neurobiology & Behavior, W250 Mudd Hall, Cornell University, Ithaca NY 14853
Two quick comments on this: First, you can't change the name of the
Trash and make it stick unless you use ResEdit or a similar resource
editor on the Finder.  Secondly, I edited a 'custom' icon for my
System Disk (System Partition, actually, on a LaCie drive) to use the
same icon as the standard one, but with a 'system' in it (like the
actual System Folder icon) and if anyone wants THIS icon, send me
E-Mail and I'll bin-hex it for them (either as a ResEdit document
(preferred) or as an R-maker document, if necessary...  Neither is a
big deal, but Resedit is easier...  Let me know if you are interested,
and/or do it yourself: Use the shareware DA IconMaker or a similar
program, and using Resedit edit the icon, etc....  You should know
how, or read the Facade documentation.

--

	-=Alan=-

	aland@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu

rcoahk@chudich.co.rmit.oz (Alvaro Hui Kau) (02/22/90)

From article <9767@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu>, by eacj@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Julian Vrieslander):
> Here's a Desktop decorating tip for style-conscious Mac hackers.  Using Facade
> and ResEdit, you can replace your startup disk's icon with a copy of the
> Trashcan icon.  This results in a nice symmetrical pair of cans at the right
> edge of the screen.  You can also change their names to (you guessed it):
> "Garbage In" and "Garbage Out".

How about use resedit to edit the folder and generic icon in your system file??
I have done that and now my destop is really unique now!
					rcoahk@chudich.co.rmit.oz.au.
					akkh@mullian.ee.mu.oz.au.

P.S. I am going to lose this account real soon now, so please don't email me.