[comp.sys.mac] KCHR Resource

rbrown@ics.uci.edu (Raymond Brown) (02/17/90)

Apparently most font families contain many more characters than are mapped to
the keyboard. Using a font editor I discovered that most font families contain
the German umlauts for ae, oe, and ue as single characters. In the German
version of the Apple system software these keys are mapped to the keyboard,
in place of certain others, of course.

I would like to map these characters to my keyboard. It is my understanding
that this can be done by a modification of the 'KCHR' system resource. The
problem is: exactly how does it have to be modified? Using ResEdit I can only
get a hexdump of the content of the resource.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

   ---  RB

ggiergiel@vmsa.oac.uci.edu (02/18/90)

In article <25DC7FF8.6482@paris.ics.uci.edu>, rbrown@ics.uci.edu (Raymond Brown) writes...

>Apparently most font families contain many more characters than are mapped to
>the keyboard.
..
>I would like to map these characters to my keyboard. It is my understanding
>that this can be done by a modification of the 'KCHR' system resource. The
>problem is: exactly how does it have to be modified? Using ResEdit I can only
>get a hexdump of the content of the resource.

Read one of the technical notes and use ResEdit 1.2

alms@cambridge.apple.com (Andrew L. M. Shalit) (02/20/90)

In article <25DC7FF8.6482@paris.ics.uci.edu> rbrown@ics.uci.edu (Raymond Brown) writes:

   I would like to map these characters to my keyboard. It is my understanding
   that this can be done by a modification of the 'KCHR' system resource. The
   problem is: exactly how does it have to be modified? Using ResEdit I can only
   get a hexdump of the content of the resource.

You just need a more recent version of ResEdit.  I've seen one with
a very nice KCHR editor.  (not sure which version, though.)

   -andrew

Michael.Burton@p3.f200.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Michael Burton) (02/22/90)

   Raymond Brown writes:
>Using a font editor I discovered that most font families contain the
>German umlauts for ae, oe, and ue as single characters. In the German
>version of the Apple system software these keys are mapped to the
>keyboard, in place of certain others, of course.
>
>I would like to map these characters to my keyboard. It is my
>understanding that this can be done by a modification of the 'KCHR'
>system resource.

   There's no need to modify the KCHR resource to access characters with
umlauts.  Simply type option-U, followed by the character you wish to
have umlauted.  For example, to type an umlauted 'a', type option-u,
followed by the 'a' key.   Much less Sturm und Drang than editing
keyboard mappings in ResEdit...

--
Michael Burton via cmhGate - Net 226 fido<=>uucp gateway Col, OH
UUCP: ...!osu-cis!n8emr!cmhgate!200.3!Michael.Burton