[comp.sys.mac] modem thruput: what do you get?

ted@hpwrce.HP.COM ( Ted Johnson) (02/21/90)

How many chars/sec should a "good" implementation of kermit transmit?

Using a Hayes 1200, I got  70 chars/sec
Using a Hayes 2400, I got 118 chars/sec

A quick back-of-the-envelope calculation shows that the
theoritical (sp?) max. thruput is 150 chars/sec and 300 chars/sec,
for the 1200 and 2400 baud modems (assuming that these both
use 2 signal levels, so that bps = baud..., which may not be true).

I tested this w/ 6.0.3, and Red Ryder 9.4, to a HP-UX machine, with
a 90k file, on a moderately noisy line.

Question:  does Red Ryder suck, or are these typical thruput numbers?

-Ted

"Where does he get all those wonderful toys?" - The Joker

In article <7380043@hpwrce.HP.COM> ted@hpwrce.HP.COM ( Ted Johnson) writes:
>How many chars/sec should a "good" implementation of kermit transmit?
>
>Using a Hayes 1200, I got  70 chars/sec
>Using a Hayes 2400, I got 118 chars/sec
>
>A quick back-of-the-envelope calculation shows that the
>theoritical (sp?) max. thruput is 150 chars/sec and 300 chars/sec,
>for the 1200 and 2400 baud modems (assuming that these both
>use 2 signal levels, so that bps = baud..., which may not be true).

Kermit, using small blocks, is pretty slow.  Also, your theroetical max
is off- it's 120cps and 240cps at 8-n-1.  I'm not going to deny that
Red Ryder is a dog though.  If you can use another protocol, do so.
][, ][+, ///, ///+, //e, //c, IIGS, //c+ --- Any questions?

newton@cs.utexas.edu (Peter Newton) (02/22/90)

>In article <7380043@hpwrce.HP.COM> ted@hpwrce.HP.COM ( Ted Johnson) writes:
>>How many chars/sec should a "good" implementation of kermit transmit?
>>
>>Using a Hayes 1200, I got  70 chars/sec
>>Using a Hayes 2400, I got 118 chars/sec

If you want fast transfers, try ZTerm 0.85.  It goes at about 95% of the
max possible at 2400 Baud.  It manages 85% at 19.2 KB.  The file transfer
protocol is very good.  Unfortunately, the terminal emulation is poor.
It messses up the version of the emacs screen editor I use.
---
Peter Newton
Computer Sciences, TAY 2.124       (512) 471-9735
University of Texas at Austin      newton@cs.utexas.edu
Austin, TX  78712-1188          ...{uunet|gatech|ames}!cs.utexas.edu!newton

meuchen@grad2.cis.upenn.edu (Paul Eric Menchen) (02/22/90)

In article <7380043@hpwrce.HP.COM> ted@hpwrce.HP.COM ( Ted Johnson) writes:
>How many chars/sec should a "good" implementation of kermit transmit?
>
>Using a Hayes 1200, I got  70 chars/sec
>Using a Hayes 2400, I got 118 chars/sec
>I tested this w/ 6.0.3, and Red Ryder 9.4, to a HP-UX machine, with
>a 90k file, on a moderately noisy line.
>Question:  does Red Ryder suck, or are these typical thruput numbers?

Kermit sucks if you're looking for thruput.  Your milage may very, but
50% efficiency is about as good as it gets for binary files.  I get up
to 75% or so for text.  I'm using a 7E1 hardwire connection, but I
think these numbers will apply to 8 data bits as well.

Paul Eric Menchen
meuchen@grad1.cis.upenn.edu

yossie@marque.mu.edu (02/23/90)

Well, I've been using ZMODEM on a 1200 line typically with 96% efficiecy -
I.e. 116 chars/second.  I have actually got it as high as 119 chars/second
(99%) with some BBS's!  ZMODEM has many other nice things about it.  Give
it a try.  - Yossie