[comp.sys.mac] Printing Postscipt Files on Unix

davisd@cpsvax.cps.msu.edu (Dug) (02/12/90)

HELP!  I'm trying to print Word 4.0 documents using Unix.
What I did was, in Word after clicking "OK" at the print dialog box
I pressed command-K and created a postscript file.  I then transfered
it over to Unix, running SunOS 4.0.3c, and when I print it all I get
if the actual postscript file, showing all the postscript commands.
(to print it I just used "lpr" )
What's up?  Am I doing something wrong?
Also, I've tried it using command-F instead of command-K and that way
it just starts to work on it and then just forgets about it.
Both times I was printing to a Apple Laser, so I know it can do postsript
files.  Am I doing something wrong?
Please, e-mail responses.
Thanks in advance.....
-Dug

prg@bonnie.ATT.COM (Paul R. Gloudemans) (02/21/90)

In article <6414@cps3xx.UUCP>, davisd@cpsvax.cps.msu.edu (Dug) writes:
> HELP!  I'm trying to print Word 4.0 documents using Unix.

Try using "macps" on the UNIX box.  It is distributed freeware from
Univ. Cal, Berkely, and should be available at ftp sites (can't give
you a pointer since I don't have ftp available) or listservers
(e.g., listserv@ricevm1.rice.edu).  Follow the instructions
carefully for installation and you should have no trouble.
I've used it and it does work.

news@blackbird.afit.af.mil (News System Account) (02/22/90)

In article <4243@cbnewsl.ATT.COM> prg@bonnie.ATT.COM writes:
>In article <6414@cps3xx.UUCP>, davisd@cpsvax.cps.msu.edu (Dug) writes:
>> HELP!  I'm trying to print Word 4.0 documents using Unix.
>
>Try using "macps" on the UNIX box.  It is distributed freeware from
>Univ. Cal, Berkely, and should be available at ftp sites...

macps is available at sumex in the info-mac.unix directory.  I set it
up here and you'd be surprized how many Mac users I met.  I agree with
the person from ATT that if you follow the directions you should have
no trouble setting it up.

Try it, you'll like it!
Bob

macman@wpi.wpi.edu (Christopher Silverberg) (02/23/90)

In article <1524@blackbird.afit.af.mil> rpugh@galaxy.afit.af.mil (Robert D. Pugh) writes:
>macps is available at sumex in the info-mac.unix directory.  I set it
>up here and you'd be surprized how many Mac users I met.  I agree with
>the person from ATT that if you follow the directions you should have
>no trouble setting it up.

Unfortunately, we tried on our system, and the most we ever got were blank
pages out of the Apple Laserwriter. Apparently the software that our system
uses or something makes it incompatible. By the way, the system is
an Encore multimax with system 4.3 running... <sigh>

Anyone had any luck with this sort of setup?

== Chris Silverberg, WPI Box 719 ========= BBS Sysop: Main Street U.S.A. =====
== USENET: macman@wpi.wpi.edu ============ 2400 baud - (508) 832-7725 ========
== BITNET: macman@wpi.bitnet ============= Fido: 322/575 - Second Sight BBS ==
== GEnie:  C.Silverberg ================== America Online: Silverberg ========