[comp.sys.mac] WDEF

go@oxy.edu (Paul Jonathan Estalilla Go) (02/22/90)

How do I find out if my system is infected with the WDEF virus?
What version of SAM detects this?

Paul
go@oxy.edu

thewho@portia.Stanford.EDU (Derek Fong) (02/22/90)

In article <78242@tiger.oxy.edu> go@oxy.edu (Paul Jonathan Estalilla Go) writes:
>How do I find out if my system is infected with the WDEF virus?
>What version of SAM detects this?
>
>Paul
>go@oxy.edu

Well, I don't use SAM personally, but you can easily check it with an
EXCELLENT pgram called Disinfectant 1.6 (again, Kudos to John Norstad)
available via FTP at many places including Northwestern where it originally
came from (129.105.49.1).  Best of all, its FREE.

--Derek
fong@cive.stanford.edu
thewho@portia.stanford.edu

cousens@hardees.rutgers.edu (Scott Cousens) (02/22/90)

> > In article <78242@tiger.oxy.edu> go@oxy.edu (Paul Jonathan Estalilla Go) writes:
> >How do I find out if my system is infected with the WDEF virus?
> >What version of SAM detects this?
> >
> >Paul
> >go@oxy.edu
>
> In article <9428@portia.Stanford.EDU> thewho@portia.Stanford.EDU (Derek Fong) writes:
>
> EXCELLENT pgram called Disinfectant 1.6 (again, Kudos to John Norstad)
>
> --Derek
> fong@cive.stanford.edu
> thewho@portia.stanford.edu

I believe the current version of SAM that detects WDEF is v1.4.
Another method to check and see if a disk is infected, is by using
ResEdit.  From within ResEdit, open up the DESKTOP file. If a resource
WDEF exists, that disk is infected.  You can then CLEAR the resource
and I believe that kills the virus from the disk.

-Scott
cousens@hardees.rutgers.edu
--
Scott Cousens      \       Internet: cousens@hardees.rutgers.edu        /
BPO 20953            \       Bitnet: cousens@zodiac.rutgers.edu       /

go@oxy.edu (Paul Jonathan Estalilla Go) (02/23/90)

Thanks to everyone who responded to my query about the WDEF virus.
If anyone would like a summary, e-mail me and I will send one to you.

Paul Jonathan E. Go
go@oxy.edu