[comp.sys.mac] NFNT TO FONT CONVERSION PROGRAM

aman@xroads.UUCP (Chris Minshall) (02/20/90)

This is an addendum to the earlier message which I left about trying to find
technical info on the NFNT font format.  If I could just get a hold of a mac
program that could convert NFNT fonts back to the FONT format, that would be
even better.  There is a program available that converts FONT format to NFNT
so I think that the reverse is not only possible but should be available,
especially for the people who never upgraded their macs to the 128K roms in
which case they can't use NFNT format fonts!
                                     Chris
--
\  /  C r o s s r o a d s  C o m m u n i c a t i o n s
 /\   (602) 941-2005 300|1200 Baud 24 hrs/day

amanda@mermaid.intercon.com (Amanda Walker) (02/21/90)

In article <983@xroads.UUCP>, aman@xroads.UUCP (Chris Minshall) writes:
> There is a program available that converts FONT format to NFNT
> so I think that the reverse is not only possible but should be available,

There's one main problem, which is that the format of an NFNT is a superset
of a FONT.  What this means in practice is that to convert from a FONT to
an NFNT is simply a matter of changing the resource type (since every valid
FONT is a valid NFNT), but converting in the other direction is not always
possible.  In most cases, changing the resource type back to FONT will work,
but you should be sure to check things out after doing so, in case the font
in question really uses some of the new features available in an NFNT.

--
Amanda Walker
InterCon Systems Corporation

"Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly upon our own point of view."
	--Obi-Wan Kenobi in "Return of the Jedi"

In article <983@xroads.UUCP> aman@xroads.UUCP (Chris Minshall) writes:

>This is an addendum to the earlier message which I left about trying to find
>technical info on the NFNT font format.  If I could just get a hold of a mac
>program that could convert NFNT fonts back to the FONT format, that would be
>even better.  There is a program available that converts FONT format to NFNT

Master Juggler can convert in both directions.
| Alphalpha Software, Inc. | Voice/Fax: 617/646-7703 | Home: 617/641-3805     |
| 148 Scituate St.         | Smart fax, dial number. | BBS:  617/641-3722     |
| Arlington, MA 02174      | Dumb fax, dial number,  |                        |
| nazgul@alphalpha.com     | wait for ring, press 3. | BBS line is still dead |

hammen@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Robert Hammen) (02/23/90)

MasterJuggler's "Font/DA Utility" will let you convert an NFNT to the old
FONT format.