[comp.sys.mac] Two Questions

drew@wolf.UUCP (Drew Dean) (12/28/87)

Hi, 2 quick questions for the net....
1) When I modify my desktop background under the control panel, it doesn't
change. What's wrong ? (I'm using System 4.2, Finder 6.0, and Suitcase, if that
makes any difference.)

2) Does anybody have any working code using FSRead to read the modem port ?
SerGetBuf tells me I have n characters available, but I can't find them with
FSRead.  The buffer I send doesn't get changed.  Oh yeah, I'm trying to read
a character at a time for a communications package I want to write....It does
help to be able to read the modem.  I'm using LS Pascal....

Thanks,
Drew Dean
UUCP: {sdcsvax,ihnp4}!jack!wolf!drew
Happy New Year!!!
FROM Disclaimers IMPORT StandardDisclaimer;

rbl@nitrex.UUCP ( Dr. Robin Lake ) (12/30/87)

In article <600@wolf.UUCP> drew@wolf.UUCP (Drew Dean) writes:
>Hi, 2 quick questions for the net....
>1) When I modify my desktop background under the control panel, it doesn't
>change. What's wrong ? (I'm using System 4.2, Finder 6.0, and Suitcase, if that
>makes any difference.)

I think you have to DRAG the new desktop background pattern ONTO the
desktop!  But I've only seen this done once and maybe missed a magic
incantation or two!

--
Rob Lake
{decvax,ihnp4!cbosgd}!mandrill!nitrex!rbl

hpoppe@scdpyr.UUCP (Herb Poppe) (01/01/88)

In article <591@nitrex.UUCP>, rbl@nitrex.UUCP ( Dr. Robin Lake ) writes:
> In article <600@wolf.UUCP> drew@wolf.UUCP (Drew Dean) writes:
> >Hi, 2 quick questions for the net....
> >1) When I modify my desktop background under the control panel, it doesn't
> >change. What's wrong ? (I'm using System 4.2, Finder 6.0, and Suitcase, if that
> >makes any difference.)
> >
> I think you have to DRAG the new desktop background pattern ONTO the
> desktop!  But I've only seen this done once and maybe missed a magic
> incantation or two!

After selecting the pattern you want with the little arrows, or editing
the pattern in the box on the left, click on the pattern in the box on the
right. The desktop pattern will change immediately.
--
Herb Poppe      NCAR                         INTERNET: hpoppe@scdpyr.UCAR.EDU
(303) 497-1296  P.O. Box 3000                   CSNET: hpoppe@ncar.CSNET

ssegan@dasys1.UUCP (Sascha Segan) (01/02/88)

> In article <600@wolf.UUCP> drew@wolf.UUCP (Drew Dean) writes:
> >Hi, 2 quick questions for the net....
> >1) When I modify my desktop background under the control panel, it doesn't
> >change. What's wrong ? (I'm using System 4.2, Finder 6.0, and Suitcase, if that
> >makes any difference.)
 I dunno about System 4.2/Finder 6 (I'm running 4.1/5.5 myself), but what you do
is select the desktop pattern that you like on the little picture of the desktop, then CLICK on the little desktop.
Works every time.
----Sascha

--
Sascha I. Segan                   {allegra,philabs,cmcl2}!phri\
Big Electric Cat Public Unix          {bellcore,cmcl2}!cucard!dasys1!ssegan!

dlv059@Mipl3.JPL.Nasa.Gov (07/06/88)

1) I'm having trouble combining the multi-part files that come from
comp.binaries.mac.  Specifically, what happens is this: I strip the headers
off each part, down to and including the line with 3 hyphens on it. I then
append the files on the host machine (VAX/VMS) and upload them with Kermit and
Versaterm to the Mac.  When I run BinHex 4.0 on them they get all the way
through the file, then I get a checksum error.  Does anybody know what I'm
doing wrong?  This only happens on multi-part files; I have no problems with
single-part files.

2) Does anybody out there know of a good book, other than the manual, for
helping someone (me) get started in 4th Dimension Programming?  I found the
manuals helpful for setting up and using a database, but I need more of a
tutorial guide to the programming side of it.

Please send replies to dlv059@ipl.jpl.nasa.gov.  Thanks!

--Dave Votaw
Image Processing Laboratory
Jet Propulsion Lab
Pasadena, CA
(818)354-8320

lbaum@bcsaic.UUCP (Larry Baum) (07/06/88)

In article <7299@elroy.Jpl.Nasa.Gov} dlv059@Mipl3.JPL.Nasa.Gov writes:
}1) I'm having trouble combining the multi-part files that come from
}comp.binaries.mac.  Specifically, what happens is this: I strip the headers
}off each part, down to and including the line with 3 hyphens on it. I then
}append the files on the host machine (VAX/VMS) and upload them with Kermit &
}Versaterm to the Mac.  When I run BinHex 4.0 on them they get all the way
}through the file, then I get a checksum error.  Does anybody know what I'm
}doing wrong?  This only happens on multi-part files; I have no problems with
}single-part files.
}
I think you also need to get rid of the extraneous characters at the end of
each part; i.e. you need to check that where two parts join that there are
no blank lines or lines with a few hyphens or lines that say "end of part 1"
or the like.  Also don't leave a blank line at the start of the next part.
In other words when you are done appending it should be impossible to
detect where the two parts met.

LSB

eberard@ajpo.sei.cmu.edu (Edward Berard) (01/23/89)

Now that the Macintosh SE/30 and A/UX 1.1 have been officially
announced, I have two (apparently) unrelated questions:

	1. It would seem that a Macintosh SE/30 equipped with an 80
	   megabyte internal drive could possibly support A/UX.(I will
	   allow that one might be well-advised to augment such an SE
	   with an external hard disk.) Is this an intended
	   possibility? What other considerations, if any are
	   required?

	2. For some reason, A/UX 1.0 did not allow complete access to
	   the Macintosh toolbox. Does A/UX version 1.1 now provide
	   complete access to the toolbox? If not, what is still
	   "unaccessible"? What other considerations should one be
	   aware of when attempting to access the toolbox under A/UX
	   1.1?

				-- Ed Berard
				   Phone: (301) 695-6960
				   FAX: (301) 695-7734

paulm@nikhefk.UUCP (Paul Molenaar) (01/24/89)

#
#	1. It would seem that a Macintosh SE/30 equipped with an 80
#	   megabyte internal drive could possibly support A/UX.(I will
#	   allow that one might be well-advised to augment such an SE
#	   with an external hard disk.) Is this an intended
#	   possibility? What other considerations, if any are
#	   required?
#
Nothing official, but:

we tested the SE/30 and found A/UX 1.01 to be able to run on the SE/30.
I see no non-marketing reason for Apple not the officially support A/UX
for the SE/30.

All in all I thought the machine was _fast_. Real fast. But speed
comes at a price.
#				-- Ed Berard
#				   Phone: (301) 695-6960
#				   FAX: (301) 695-7734

        Paul Molenaar

	"Just checking the walls"
		- Basil Fawlty -
--
        Paul Molenaar

	"Just checking the walls"
		- Basil Fawlty -

magorian@brillig.umd.edu (Dan Magorian) (01/25/89)

The Only reason(s) that Apple currently is not supporting, or marketing
A/UX 1.1 for the SE 030 is that there is NO Ethernet support (no NuBus) for
the SE, as aux only ran on a II before the new release. They list another reason
as being no support for the serial ports for printing, but I haven't been able
to test that yet (doesn't make sense??).  I believe that a 2nd qtr release for
1.1.1 for the fixes is projected.

shebanow@Apple.COM (Andrew Shebanow) (01/28/89)

A/UX 1.1 will run on the SE/30, provided you have 4 megs of memory
and the disk space. Apple did not announce this compatibility
because one of the announced features of A/UX 1.1 was printing
over LocalTalk, and this feature doesn't work on the SE/30 since
no intelligent LocalTalk cards are available. When such a card
becomes available from a third party, A/UX may need an update
to support it.

A/UX 1.1 does support a lot more of the Mac toolbox than 1.0,
including color and printing. It does not support 100% of the
toolbox: in particular, low level, hardware specific code like
the SCSI Manager, the Time Manager, and the Serial driver are
not supported.

In order to find out more about A/UX compatibility, you should
read the "A/UX Toolbox: Macintosh ROM Reference" manual, which
is included with A/UX, and which will hopefully be available
from APDA someday soon. You should also read Technical Note #212,
which is available on sumex and from APDA.

Andrew Shebanow, Futurist, Developer Technical Support, Apple Computer, Inc.
INTERNET: shebanow@apple.com
    UUCP: {decwrl, hoptoad, nsc, sun, amdahl}!apple!shebanow

jpm@sauna.cs.hut.fi (Jussi-Pekka Mantere) (01/28/89)

In article <15619@mimsy.UUCP>, magorian@brillig (Dan Magorian) writes:
>The Only reason(s) that Apple currently is not supporting, or marketing
>A/UX 1.1 for the SE 030 is that there is NO Ethernet support (no NuBus) for
>the SE, as aux only ran on a II before the new release.

Well, Ethernet support doesn't really depend that much on NuBus. Already you
can hook any Mac with a SCSI port to Ethernet, and there are Ethernet cards
both for the SE and II. And now SE/30 is out, and so are the cards for the
Direct Slot. Once you have your SE/30 with A/UX you would just plug in the
verdor specific driver for your Ethernet card and start to NetWork. That's
all there is to it.

Or there should be.

Of course, A/UX would have to support the Direct Slot cards, and Apple
should have it's own Ethernet card for it (is there a one for the SE?).

--
Jussi-Pekka Mantere				jpm@cs.hut.fi
Helsinki University of Technology, Finland	jpm@finhutcs.bitnet

domo@riddle.UUCP (Dominic Dunlop) (02/01/89)

	(Edward Berard) writes:
>#Now that the Macintosh SE/30 and A/UX 1.1 have been officially
>#announced, I have two (apparently) unrelated questions:
>#
>#	1. It would seem that a Macintosh SE/30 equipped with an 80
>#	   megabyte internal drive could possibly support A/UX...
>#
>Nothing official, but:
>
>we tested the SE/30 and found A/UX 1.01 to be able to run on the SE/30.
>I see no non-marketing reason for Apple not the officially support A/UX
>for the SE/30.

A trivial reason for non-support on the SE/30 that I can think of
would be that A/UX might not include a driver for the  "classic Mac"
one bit-per-pixel, not too many pixels, screen.  Ed, were you using
the SE/30's own screen, which I understand is still of the "classic Mac"
variety, or were you using something outboard?  (Actually, I guess not,
as I don't think anybody yet has expansion cards for the SE/30's new (as
opposed to Nu) bus slot.)

By the way, talking of marketing reasons, the SE/30 will ship in Europe
with a 40 megabyte drive rather than 80.  Anybody care to suggest a good
basis for that decision?
--
Dominic Dunlop
domo@sphinx.co.uk  domo@riddle.uucp

dwb@Apple.COM (David W. Berry) (02/03/89)

In article <15619@mimsy.UUCP> magorian@brillig.umd.edu.UUCP (Dan Magorian) writes:

>The Only reason(s) that Apple currently is not supporting, or marketing
>A/UX 1.1 for the SE 030 is that there is NO Ethernet support (no NuBus) for
>the SE, as aux only ran on a II before the new release. They list another reason
>as being no support for the serial ports for printing, but I haven't been able
>to test that yet (doesn't make sense??).  I believe that a 2nd qtr release for
>1.1.1 for the fixes is projected.
	Well, it supports printing through the serial poras per normal
unix printing.  What it doesn't support is AppleTalk printing though the
on board serial ports.  That (AppleTalk printing) requires one of the
third party communications boards (either AST or SuperMac)  Because of the
differences between the Direct 30 slot and a NuBus slot (like, they're
completely different) the drivers aren't ready.  If third parties produce
the boards and the drivers they should work just fine.

Opinions:  MINE, ALL MINE! (greedy evil chuckle)

David W. Berry
apple!dwb@sun.com	dwb@apple.com	973-5168@408.MaBell

dr@cs.columbia.edu (David Robinowitz) (02/05/89)

I am in the process of buying a SE/030 (i.e. I am waiting for its arrival!).
I am also interested in A/UX for this new baby, but I am completely clueless
about it.  So here are my questions:
1) How is A/UX distributed?  Only on Apple drives? Floppies, tapes?

2) How much is it?!

3) Will future versions officially support the SE/30?

4) FOr networking multiple A/UX sites, can one use an SCSI ethernet
device in lieu of a direct-slot card?  I am interested in filling in the slot
with an external monitor card (in the distant future).

5) Any info re: MACH for the Macs?

Please respond via Email or through the net -- your help is greatly
appreciated!

jnh@ece-csc.UUCP (Joseph Nathan Hall) (02/18/89)

Two questions ...

1)  I'd like to be able to compile several CODE resources with similar
    interface routines, and then load and call them on-the-fly.  How can
    I make calls into a CODE resource ... ?  (I'd like to have something
    that works sort of like a UN*X dynamic link.)

2)  (Easier question)  What do I do to get my application to start up and
    load a document when I double-click that document in the Finder?  (I've
    already got the ICN#, FREF, BNDL resources set up correctly; I just don't
    know how to tell what file I should load once the application's running.)

Thanks lots ...

My previous invective concerning the THINK C editor still stands, despite
Mr. Siegel's suggestion that I ought to go out and find a different
programming environment if the one I have doesn't suit.  Well, it actually
suits me pretty well, thanks, and I have no complaints about compilation
speed, efficiency, or the environment in general.  But I think the editor
has some pretty chintzy features (or lack thereof).  At the least you ought
to be able to move around easily without using the mouse and/or too many
control-shift-option-command-key combinations.  In addition, an option for
a "preferred alternate editor," to be invoked in lieu of the THINK C editor
(in MultiFinder), would be nice.

Oh, and correct support for draft-ANSI-style function declarations would
be nice, too ... what about lint, while you're at it ... gee whiz, a VAX/11
cross-compile mode would be nice, too ...

:-)

--
v   v sssss|| joseph hall                      || 201-1D Hampton Lee Court
 v v s   s || jnh@ece-csc.ncsu.edu (Internet)  || Cary, NC  27511

alexis@ccnysci.UUCP (Alexis Rosen) (02/24/89)

[How do you tell what document was dbl-clicked to start up your application?]

Actually, the hardest part in writing this code is figuring out where in
Inside Mac the information is. Once you've got that, it's a breeze.

The information is in IM Volume 2, chapter 2, the Segment Loader.

Alexis Rosen
alexis@ccnysci.uucp

doug@wiley.UUCP (Doug Rudoff) (03/22/89)

1) I've seen a Imagewriter compatible printer by Seikosha advertised
for about $215. Does anyone know anything about it ?

2) Ehman Engineering advertises a 85 MB disk drive for $749. That's a
very good price. Does anyone know anything about it ?
--
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Doug RUDOFF        TRW Inc, Redondo Beach, CA      {cit-vax,uunet}!wiley!doug

myers@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Franklin Myers) (07/15/89)

Hi,
  I know this first question was discussed in detail a while ago, but I've been
away so please be patient:

  I am using a VAX 8650 running ULTRIX 3.0.  I want to print a MacWrite file on
the LaserWriter.  I know there are a couple of steps in this: Cmd- F or K (not
sure which), add something to the top of the file, and use a unix program
called PSprint (or something similar).  Could someone fill me in?

  My other question is about the cdev Sound and the init 512E XPRAM. I have a
512E with System 4.2 and Finder 6.0.  How come Sound doesn't show up in the
control panel?

Thanks in advance,
Frank
	Please reply e-mail: myers@eniac.seas.upenn.edu

fang@dukempd.phy.duke.edu (Fang Zhong) (02/20/90)

	When I use Mac IIcx to translate files in PC format into Mac
format with Apple File Exchanger,  I got a control character on each
line.  I played on all options in AFE,  I still could not eliminate
the control character.  Can some experts on the net give me some tips
on this?
	Once I read on comp.lang.postscript that Apple had LaserWrite
version 6.0 which improved grayscale printing.  I checked the two Macs
bought last fall.  It is still the LaserWrite v5.2 that is on the
printing tools disk.  Has Apple ever released the version 6.0 of Laser-
Write? When I called a local Apple dealer about this,  the dealer insisted
that it was version 6.0.4 that I was looking for.  When I told him that
was the latest System version number,  I was looking for the latest
LaserWrite version number,  he said that he would call me back.
	If Apple did have released LasewrWrite and LaserPrep 6.0, can
some kind of soul email me the copies since I do not trust the local
Apple dealer?
	Thanks in advance.

Fang

--
	Fang Zhong				1-919-684-8247
	Duke University Dept. of Physics	fang@phy.duke.edu

fang@dukempd.phy.duke.edu (Fang Zhong) (02/23/90)

	I generated a postscript file by pressing Cmd-K after OKing
print in MacDraw II.  Now I want to insert this postscript file into
a Word 4.0 document.  I selected the whole contex of the postscript
file within the Word document, I typed "PostScript" in the Style box,
I selected font size to be 10 point and Bold style, I selected
Hidden Text, then defined the Style.  When I printed out the document,
the postscript commands showed up instead of the drawing.  Can someone
on the net tell me the correct way to do this?
	After I installed LaserWrite 6.0 with System 6.0.3,  the formulas
generated with MathType 2.0.2 in the Word 4.0 document disappeared
in the printout under multyfinder.  This is not true for LaserWrite 5.2.
When I changed to Unifinder, the formulas reappeared in the printout.
Whose fault is it? MathType, Word 4.0 or LaserWrite 6.0?
	Thanks in advance.

Fang