[comp.sys.mac] Excel 2.2 and Aufs problems - Anyone seen this?

jness@umn-d-ub.D.UMN.EDU (Joel Ness) (02/20/90)

  We've just noticed that we can't read or write files to an Aufs volume
on our Unix mainframe from Excel 2.2. Excel 1.5 has no problems. Has
anyone else noticed this, or is there something we're overlooking?

  I suspected it might be a problem with the differences in
case-sensitivity between the Mac and Unix. HyperCard has this problem,
and we had to name files and folders in all caps to get FoxBASE to work,
but when we peeked the AppleTalk packets the calls to the file seemed to
be in the same case as the filename (and we tried all caps and all
lower-case names).

  Any ideas? Has anyone used Excel 2.2 with Aufs and CAP successfully? I
though I'd check before contacting MicroSoft.

Joel Ness			       		INTERNET: jness@ub.d.umn.edu
Information Services		        	BITNET:  JNESS@UMNDUL
University of Minnesota, Duluth

rd_francis@cheops.cis.ohio-state.edu (02/20/90)

In article <3227@umn-d-ub.D.UMN.EDU> jness@ub.d.umn.edu.UUCP (Joel Ness) writes:
>  We've just noticed that we can't read or write files to an Aufs volume
>on our Unix mainframe from Excel 2.2. Excel 1.5 has no problems. Has
>anyone else noticed this, or is there something we're overlooking?
>
>[comments about possible conflict between Mac and Unix deleted].

It's possibly a problem with CAP and AUFS, or between the Mac and Unix machines
in general, but my guess is that it is a problem with the way Excel copes
with remote files.  I seem to recall problems between Excel 2.2. and TOPS.
If memory serves, Microsoft has out Excel 2.2a (at least), which was
supposed to solve this.  You may want to check with Microsoft after all.

--
R David Francis   francis@cis.ohio-state.edu

davism@llama.cs.vt.edu (Mat Davis) (02/23/90)

In article <3227@umn-d-ub.D.UMN.EDU> jness@ub.d.umn.edu.UUCP (Joel Ness) writes:

>  We've just noticed that we can't read or write files to an Aufs volume
>on our Unix mainframe from Excel 2.2. Excel 1.5 has no problems. Has
>anyone else noticed this, or is there something we're overlooking?

I've also noticed that I can't get MacDraw II to open a file directy from
an Aufs server ("File is damaged" or "Premature EOF"), but if the file is
copied to a local disk it's fine.  I tried turning of the semi-automatic
LF-to-CR conversion in Aufs (NONLXLATE) but that didn't help.

Mat Davis (davism@vtopus.cs.vt.edu)