[comp.sys.mac] Need United/Binhex/Stuffit all-in-one program

roy@alanine.phri.nyu.edu (Roy Smith) (02/21/90)

	A big piece of software gets posted to comp.binaries.mac.  What do
you have to do to use it?  First, save all the pieces.  Then copy them to
your Mac (I use ftp).  Then put the pieces back together (United).  Then
unbinhex them (StuffIt).  Then extract the StuffIt archive (a different
StuffIt operation).  Then get rid off all the intermediate files (drag them
into the trash).

	What I'm looking for is one program which will do the last few
steps all at once.  You give it the basename of a group of files, it finds
all the files called basename.[1234...], combines them, unbinhexes them,
extracts everything from the resulting StuffIt archive, and discards all
the intermediate files.  Does such a thing exist?
455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016
roy@alanine.phri.nyu.edu -OR- {att,philabs,cmcl2,rutgers,hombre}!phri!roy
"My karma ran over my dogma"

svc@well.sf.ca.us (Leonard Rosenthol) (02/24/90)

In article <1990Feb21.153256.19177@phri.nyu.edu> roy@alanine.phri.nyu.edu (Roy Smith) writes:

>	What I'm looking for is one program which will do the last few
>steps all at once.  You give it the basename of a group of files, it finds
>all the files called basename.[1234...], combines them, unbinhexes them,
>extracts everything from the resulting StuffIt archive, and discards all
>the intermediate files.  Does such a thing exist?

	Stuffit Deluxe, due soon from Aladdin Systems inc., will offer almost
all of the functionality you wish.  It will unbinhex, unStuff and delete files
for you, and with the new scripting language you can make the processe quite
automagic.  What I do is to run a script called 'Do New' which unbinhexes and
then unstuffs (into new folders) all of the files that I just downloaded which
end in .hqx.  Also since Deluxe is fully MF compat, this happens in the
background while I go back to writing code.

Disclaimer: I am obviously a beta testers for Deluxe as well as being good
friends with all of the involved parties so I guess that makes me biased ;-)

Leonard Rosenthol        |  GEnie : MACgician
Lazerware, inc.          |  MacNet: MACgician
UUCP: svc@well.UUCP      |  ALink : D0025

wiseman@tellab5.tellabs.com (Jeff Wiseman) (02/24/90)

In article <1990Feb21.153256.19177@phri.nyu.edu> roy@alanine.phri.nyu.edu (Roy Smith) writes:

>	A big piece of software gets posted to comp.binaries.mac.  What do
>you have to do to use it?  First, save all the pieces.  Then copy them to

This is not exactly what youasked for but if you are collecting your multi
piece file from the net on a unix machine (eg. file.p1, file.p2, file.p3), what
you can do is get a copy of mcvert. Mcvert will take the pieces, combine them
and convert them into macbinary in one shot. (eg. mcvert file.p*). This not
only combines the pieces and strips out the news headers, etc. but also creates
the macbinary version which is much smaller than the binhex ones combined
resulting in a much faster download time.

When you download, most mac terminal type programs will let you download the
macbinary directly resulting immediatly in a file all set to use, unless of
course it's a stuffit file but then you just run stuffit on it.

Hope this helps!

--
Jeff Wiseman:	....uunet!tellab5!wiseman OR wiseman@TELLABS.COM