[comp.sys.mac] ResEdit

alan@metasoft.UUCP (Alan Epstein) (02/26/88)

first of all, what is the latest version of ResEdit? i'm using
v1.1b1.

second, i notice when i run ResEdit under MultiFinder, it fails
to find most of my DRVR's and D.A.'s. the other resources seem
to be there, and i CAN find them using regular Finder. anyone
know?

please email replies. i'll post summary.

-alan@metasoft.uucp			[uunet!metasoft!alan]

hammen@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Robert Joseph Hammen) (03/04/88)

In article <344@metasoft.UUCP> alan@metasoft.UUCP (Alan Epstein) types:
>first of all, what is the latest version of ResEdit? i'm using
>v1.1b1.

The latest version of ResEdit I've seen is version 1.2D0 (that's development
version 0 of version 1.2 - got it?). It should be available in the programmers
areas on GEnie (where I got it from), CI$, and Delphi.

>second, i notice when i run ResEdit under MultiFinder, it fails
>to find most of my DRVR's and D.A.'s. the other resources seem
>to be there, and i CAN find them using regular Finder. anyone
>know?

This was because ResEdit wasn't (until the latest version) compatible with
MultiFinder. The new version works fine (at least for me).

>-alan@metasoft.uucp			[uunet!metasoft!alan]

/Robert Hammen		Computer Applications	hammen@csd4.milw.wisc.edu/
/Delphi: HAMMEN		GEnie: R.Hammen		CI$: 70701,2104		 /

rsvp@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (R. Scott V. Paterson) (06/05/88)

I'm using Resedit to try to cut and paste icons.  I would like to
take an icon from the desktop and paste it into an application.
I can copy fine but the pasting will not work  The icon will not
paste to the application.  Any ideas?

R. Scott V. Paterson
Software & Hardware Development
'The Creation'*                               rsvp@eleazar.dartmouth.edu
                                              rsvp@dartcms1.bitnet
*Copyright B.C.(Before Creation)
 by KSR Wetware Development Inc.

dorourke@polyslo.UUCP (David O'Rourke) (06/05/88)

In article <8786@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> rsvp@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (R. Scott V. Paterson) writes:
>I'm using Resedit to try to cut and paste icons.  I would like to
>take an icon from the desktop and paste it into an application.
>I can copy fine but the pasting will not work  The icon will not
>paste to the application.  Any ideas?

  Well with out going into a lot of details, ResEdit doesn't put ICON's on
the clipboard ina form that your standard applications can use.

  Solution:

  When the Icon you want is on the screen {at any time, finder, resEdit, ect}
type cmd-shift-3, that will take a "snapshot" of the screen and save it as
a MacPaint document on your disk.  You can then go into most any graphics
editor that read MacPaint files and cut/paste it where ever you want.

  Hope this helps!!

--
David M. O'Rourke

Disclaimer: I don't represent the school.  All opinions are mine!

ferguson@bgsuvax.UUCP (Doug Ferguson) (09/28/88)

I have Resedit and know how to use it.  One question:  How can I edit
the owners name information embedded at the head of programs?

Do not post replies; mail me a note.

(No, I'm not a pirate)

--
*           Doug Ferguson, Bowling Green, Ohio  (419) 354-4230          *
*  ARPA: ferguson%bgsu.edu@relay.cs.net  *        *** Disclaimer ***    *

rmf1992@uxf.cso.uiuc.edu (09/29/88)

	I also have Resedit, and I would just like to know what the most recent
version is? (I'm not sure which on I have)  And, what are the important changes
form earlier versions?  Thanks.

Bob Frank - struggling undergrad @ UofI

t-jacobs@wasatch.UUCP (Tony Jacobs) (09/30/88)

In article <46700068@uxf.cso.uiuc.edu> rmf1992@uxf.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

>	I also have Resedit, and I would just like to know what the most recent
>version is? (I'm not sure which on I have) ...

I know there is a 1.2b2.2.  But it supposedly crashes randomly. I believe
the most current "released" version is 1.1.

jordan@Apple.COM (Jordan Mattson) (10/05/88)

Dear Folks -
	The current shipping version of ResEdit is 1.2B2.  Within a month,
1.2B3 will be shipping.  The difference between 1.2B2 and 1.2B3 is the addition
of editors that support the international resources and bug fixes.  Look to the
electronic service and APDA outlet near you for this release.

Jordan Mattson				UUCP:   jordan@apple.apple.com
Apple Computer, Inc.			CSNET: 	jordan@apple.CSNET
Tools & Languages Product Management
20525 Mariani Avenue, MS 27S
Cupertino, CA 95014
408-973-4601
			"Joy is the serious business of heaven."
					C.S. Lewis

ll12+@andrew.cmu.edu (Laura Ann Lemay) (01/29/89)

OK, still more stupid questions:

I know this has been asked thousands of times before, but:

1.  What is the newest version of ResEdit?
2.  What is its size (in bytes)?
3.  What is its creation date?

Thanks for the help!
Laura

ll12+@andrew.cmu.edu

bob@accuvax.nwu.edu (Bob Hablutzel) (01/29/89)

> I know this has been asked thousands of times before, but:

> 1.  What is the newest version of ResEdit?
> 2.  What is its size (in bytes)?
> 3.  What is its creation date?

As far as I know (and I try to keep up :-)), the current version of ResEdit
is 1.2B3. The creation date is 19-Sep-1988, 10:35 PM. The size of ResEdit
is variable, due to the fact that ResEdit can be modified by advanced users.
However, I think I have a fairly vanilla ResEdit, and it's 269K.

Bob Hablutzel	Wildwood Software	BOB@NUACC.ACNS.NWU.EDU

markr@studsys.mu.edu (rodenkirch) (01/05/90)

I would really like to know why ResEdit does not have the capability to
read data forks?  Did Apple do this on purpose?  Granted, it is not every
day that one needs to look at the data fork of a file, but since ResEdit
doesn't do it, I need to use FEdit, which crashes my computer when reading
from my hard drive.

By the way, is there any simple way to install color icons into the
resource fork of a file without one?  I could only guess that one needs
to add a cicn resource to the file with the same ID# as the icon resources
and edit the resource from there.  Is this the way to do it?

One more question, what is the most recent version of ResEdit?

rsfinn@athena.mit.edu (Russell S. Finn) (01/06/90)

In article <731@studsys.mu.edu> markr@studsys.UUCP (rodenkirch) writes:
>I would really like to know why ResEdit does not have the capability to
>read data forks?  Did Apple do this on purpose?

Because it's a RESource EDITor.  Resources live in resource forks, not
data forks.  If you want to read the data fork, use a data editor,
like FEdit Plus (the commercial version, which is compatible with
HFS), or MacSnoop, or SUM Tools, or...  Besides, it took Apple *years*
to get ResEdit to the point where it would work fairly reliably on
resource files.  You want data files, too!? :-)

I'm trying not to come on too strong, but comments like this always
sound to me like "Why can't I use my power drill to saw a piece of
wood in half?"  Use the right tool for the right job, my father always
said.

If what you're really asking is "Why doesn't Apple supply a reliable
data editor, as well as a resource editor?", well, I don't know.
Apple used to send out an early version of FEdit when it was still
shareware, which is probably one of the major reasons why it is no
longer shareware.

-- Russ

irwin@galton.uchicago.edu (Mark Irwin) (02/24/90)

Could someone please tell me how to obtain a copy of ResEdit, preferably
by FTP.  I looked at Sumex and couldn't find it.

I'm assuming that its public domain, freeware, etc.

Thanks,  Mark Irwin