[net.music] Led Zeppelin fans

kirsch@sjuvax.UUCP (P. Kirsch) (01/01/70)

In article <5444@mit-eddie.UUCP> nessus@mit-eddie.UUCP (Doug Alan) writes:
>> From: rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Rich Rosen)
>
>> It would be so IF that were true; unfortunately, Toejam Jawallaby named
>> Ace Frehley formerly of KISS as his choice.  Which just shows to go ya...
>
>> (Why he did that is beyond me...)
>
>Clearly because they are all wrong!  The best guitarists are Fred Frith
>and Robert Frip, and there can be *no* argument.
>

>			 Doug Alan
>			  nessus@mit-eddie.UUCP (or ARPA)

Hey Doug--I think you'd be more correct in saying that *for his genre* Robert
Fripp is the best guitarist. I don't recall ever hearing him do anything
outside of that genre. He NEVER uses vibrato the way Page, Beck or Clapton
can. His solos normally do not have the *feel* that a blues guitarist does.
I think instead of this *best* guitarist crap it would be better to say
who are the best guitarists (That's plural)--because it depends on your own
personal tastes to decide who is *THE* best.

--

Another wunnerful letter from the semi-intelligent rotting brain of:

                              Paul Kirsch
                              St. Joseph's University
                              Philadelphia, Pa

{ astrovax | allegra | bpa | burdvax } !sjuvax!kirsch

I'm outside right now...do you know where your children are ? (snicker)

wlt4326@ritvp.UUCP (William L. Trainor) (09/20/85)

Sender:Bill Trainor

Hello, out there!  I'm new to this mail stuff and I'd like to know if there
are any hardcore (or even not-so-hard-core) Zeppelin fans, especially ones who
think Jimmy Page is the greatest thing on strings, out there in newsland.  I would
really like to chat with you.  Just leave a reply so I can get back to you.

THanx.

neal@weitek.UUCP (Neal Bedard) (09/24/85)

In article <1126@ritvp.UUCP>, wlt4326@ritvp.UUCP (William L. Trainor)
writes:
> Sender:Bill Trainor
> Hello, out there!  I'm new to this mail stuff and I'd like to know if there
> are any hardcore (or even not-so-hard-core) Zeppelin fans, especially ones
> who think Jimmy Page is the greatest thing on strings, out there in newsland.
> I would really like to chat with you.  Just leave a reply so I can get back
> to you. THanx.

I seem to recall that an interviewer once asked Jimmy Page who he thought was
the best guitarist. His answer?

			"Clapton"

-Neal
--
"whaddya mean there were bullet-holes in his mirror..."
UUCP: {turtlevax, resonex, cae780}!weitek!neal

floyd@brl-tgr.ARPA (Floyd C. Wofford ) (09/26/85)

>I seem to recall that an interviewer once asked Jimmy Page who he thought was
>the best guitarist. His answer?
>
>			"Clapton"
>-Neal

The way I heard the story Page's reply was "Phil Keaggy".

mfs@mhuxr.UUCP (Marcel F. Simon) (10/01/85)

>I seem to recall that an interviewer once asked Jimmy Page who he thought was
>the best guitarist. His answer?
>
>			"Clapton"
>-Neal

Of course, when asked the same question, Eric Clapton replied "B. B. King."

Marcel Simon

rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Rich Rosen) (10/02/85)

>>I seem to recall that an interviewer once asked Jimmy Page who he thought was
>>the best guitarist. His answer?
>>			"Clapton"

> Of course, when asked the same question, Eric Clapton replied "B. B. King."
> Marcel Simon

And of course, B.B. King replied to the same question by naming the truly
ultimate guitarist, Toejam Jawallaby.

Who, in turn, named ...
--
"Wait a minute.  '*WE*' decided???   *MY* best interests????"
					Rich Rosen    ihnp4!pyuxd!rlr

mfs@mhuxr.UUCP (Damballah Wedo) (10/02/85)

> >>I seem to recall that an interviewer once asked Jimmy Page who he thought was
> >>the best guitarist. His answer?
> >>			"Clapton"
>
> > Of course, when asked the same question, Eric Clapton replied "B. B. King."
>
> And of course, B.B. King replied to the same question by naming the truly
> ultimate guitarist, Toejam Jawallaby.
>
> Who, in turn, named ...

Why, Jimmy Page, of course.

This article is being submitted to Webster's dictionary as a sample
definition of "recursion."
--

Marcel-Franck Simon		ihnp4!{mhuxr, hl3b5b}!mfs

	" Papa Loko, ou se' van, ou-a pouse'-n alle'
	  Nou se' papiyon, n-a pote' nouvel bay Agwe' "

rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Rich Rosen) (10/03/85)

nessus@mit-eddie.UUCP (Doug Alan) (10/04/85)

> From: rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Rich Rosen)

> It would be so IF that were true; unfortunately, Toejam Jawallaby named
> Ace Frehley formerly of KISS as his choice.  Which just shows to go ya...

> (Why he did that is beyond me...)

Clearly because they are all wrong!  The best guitarists are Fred Frith
and Robert Frip, and there can be *no* argument.

			"You dreamed of a big star
			 He played a mean guitar
			 He always ate at the Steak Bar"

			 Doug Alan
			  nessus@mit-eddie.UUCP (or ARPA)

agb@reed.UUCP (Alexander G. Burchell) (10/07/85)

Hear hear, Doug!

	For some particularly incredible examples of Robert Fripp's unique
and amazing guitar playing listen to the following:

	King's Lead Hat (Before and After Science, Brian Eno)
	Discipline	(Discipline, King Crimson) (+ all KC albums)
	Parade		(Bewitched, Andy Summers and Robert Fripp)

	Etc., Etc.  The man is out of this world, and whenever I express
that opinion, I usually hear:

	1) Who?
	2) No, Eddie Van Halen is the world's best guitarist!
	3) Right On!

						Alex Burchell

UUCP:	..!{decvax,ucbvax,hplabs,ihnp4,zehntel}!tektronix!reed!agb
ARPA:	I wish.

( Where's the fish? )
--

mfs@mhuxr.UUCP (Damballah Wedo) (10/08/85)

> Clearly because they are all wrong!  The best guitarists are Fred Frith
> and Robert Frip, and there can be *no* argument.
>
> 			 Doug Alan

You are so wrong. The GREATEST guitarist of ALL time was  Diesibon "Fat
Muhfuh" Utawanga, and ANYBODY who disagrees just does not know what he is
talking about.

So there!
--

kirsch@sjuvax.UUCP (P. Kirsch) (10/08/85)

In article <444@mhuxr.UUCP> mfs@mhuxr.UUCP (Marcel F. Simon) writes:
>>I seem to recall that an interviewer once asked Jimmy Page who he thought was
>>the best guitarist. His answer?
>>
>>			"Clapton"
>>-Neal
>
>Of course, when asked the same question, Eric Clapton replied "B. B. King."

After the ARMS concert last year Clapton remarked "You know, (Jeff) Beck really
is the best"

--

rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Rich Rosen) (10/08/85)

>> Clearly because they are all wrong!  The best guitarists are Fred Frith
>> and Robert Frip, and there can be *no* argument.
>> 			 Doug Alan

(Wanna bet?)

> You are so wrong. The GREATEST guitarist of ALL time was  Diesibon "Fat
> Muhfuh" Utawanga, and ANYBODY who disagrees just does not know what he is
> talking about.  So there!
> Marcel-Franck Simon		ihnp4!{mhuxr, hl3b5b}!mfs

Look, guys, Toejam Jawallaby (as I've already said, the acknowledged greatest
guitarist of all time) has spoken, and he said Ace Frehley of KISS (once) is
the best guitarist, and if you can't go by the opinion of the greatest
guitarist of all time as to who the best guitarist in the world is, what can
you go by?

(If you doubt the veracity of my statements about Jawallaby, one listen
 to his classic album "Fingers to the Bone" on Final Records, or his
 collaboration with Amguana Kikbhuti and Tim "Sleeveless" Henderson ["Night
 Fish" on Specialty/JCL Records], will surely convince you otherwise.)
--
"Meanwhile, I was still thinking..."
				Rich Rosen  ihnp4!pyuxd!rlr

barth@tellab1.UUCP (Barth Richards) (10/08/85)

In article <5444@mit-eddie.UUCP> nessus@mit-eddie.UUCP (Doug Alan) writes:
>> From: rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Rich Rosen)
>
>> It would be so IF that were true; unfortunately, Toejam Jawallaby named
>> Ace Frehley formerly of KISS as his choice.  Which just shows to go ya...
>
>> (Why he did that is beyond me...)
>
>Clearly because they are all wrong!  The best guitarists are Fred Frith
>and Robert Frip, and there can be *no* argument.

Don't let either one of them find out the other is ranked among the top
two guitarists in the world. Neither one is overly fond of the other.

Two friends of mine are acquainted with Fred Frith and witnessed his disgust
when he was asked if he had ever been compared to Robert Fripp and what he
he thought about that if he had.

				     Barth Richards
				     Tellabs, Inc.
				     Lisle, IL

				     "If God's up there, we're his excrement."
				     -Ron Geesin

barth@tellab1.UUCP (Barth Richards) (10/09/85)

In article <1977@reed.UUCP> agb@reed.UUCP (Alexander G. Burchell) writes:

>						Alex Burchell
>
>UUCP:	..!{decvax,ucbvax,hplabs,ihnp4,zehntel}!tektronix!reed!agb
>ARPA:	I wish.
>
>( Where's the fish? )
                ^
                |_______________

                    Fish is currently the lead singer of Marillion. At the
		    moment, he's probably sitting at home in Wales.

cv@linus.UUCP (Chris J. Valas) (10/09/85)

-=-

Alexander G. Burchell writes...

>	For some particularly incredible examples of Robert Fripp's unique
>and amazing guitar playing listen to the following:
>
>	King's Lead Hat (Before and After Science, Brian Eno)
>	Discipline	(Discipline, King Crimson) (+ all KC albums)
>	Parade		(Bewitched, Andy Summers and Robert Fripp)

	You can't omit his searing (no shit...) solo on 'Baby's on Fire'
from Eno's 'Here Come the Warm Jets.'  The great thing about this track--
besides how it sounds--is the story behind the studio session when it was
recorded.  Eno asked Fripp to come over and play a solo for the album he
was putting together.  Fripp arrived, listened to the backing tracks once,
had them rewind and play them again, and he laid down that solo on the first
try, no rehearsal, no nothing.  It's an incredible piece of work, and so far
beyond the histrionics of heavy metal's guitar heroes that I don't even want
to talk about it, I just want to go listen to it again.  See ya....

Chris J. Valas         {decvax,utzoo,philabs,security,allegra,genrad}!linus!cv
-=-
Strip, foul...pick, travel, stall...violation against the spirit of the game.

mfs@mhuxr.UUCP (Damballah Wedo) (10/10/85)

> > The GREATEST guitarist of ALL time was  Diesibon "Fat
> > Muhfuh" Utawanga, and ANYBODY who disagrees just does not know what he is
> > talking about.  So there!
>
> Look, guys, Toejam Jawallaby (as I've already said, the acknowledged greatest
> guitarist of all time) has spoken, and he said Ace Frehley of KISS (once) is
> the best guitarist, and if you can't go by the opinion of the greatest
> guitarist of all time as to who the best guitarist in the world is, what can
> you go by?
>
> 				Rich Rosen  ihnp4!pyuxd!rlr
You got to watch out. Toejam is well-known for putting people on, especially
the media. I have it on unimpeacheable sources that he was kidding when he
said that about Frehley. It is quite clear that the Fat Muhfuh had a profound
influence on both Frehley and Jawallaby, so even if he was kidding, Utawanga
is THE greatest super-guitarist is all time. Andrew Muhammad al Oteiba, in his
book FAT MUHFUH, A GIANT AMONG TALL MEN (Poinsettia State University Press,
1983) shows the Fat man's influence on Toejam in great detail.
--

Marcel-Franck Simon		ihnp4!{mhuxr, hl3b5b}!mfs

	" Papa Loko, ou se' van, ou-a pouse'-n alle'
	  Nou se' papiyon, n-a pote' nouvel bay Agwe' "

agb@reed.UUCP (Alexander G. Burchell) (10/12/85)

-- EAT THIS --

	Boy, do I agree with you there.  Fripp's solo on "Baby's on Fire"
(Here Come the Warm Jets, Brian Eno) is one of the most amazing things I
*have ever heard* on vinyl.  Even more amazing considering that he did it
in one take.  Another one on that album is "Blank Frank", more truly stunning
stuff.  It's a shame that he never cuts loose like that anymore --  I think
he preferrs technical displays of virtuousity now, rather than blazin' and
amazin' guitar, like in the good old days.  While I like his 10 minute long
songs made up of 16th notes, I often long for more unrestrained music from
the Master...
	Speaking of Eno's guitarist collaborators, in between tracks on
"Primitive Guitars" (Phil Manzanara, Guitarist for Roxy Music), you will
here some random bits of talking while some Eno albums are being produced,
i.e. You hear a snatch of some Eno song you recognize and then you'll here
"Boy, that really gets in the groove", or "I think we need a bit more echo
here" etc.  An interesting peek into the creative process, and a great album
as well.

						Alex Burchell

UUCP:	..!{decvax,ucbvax,hplabs,ihnp4,zehntel}!tektronix!reed!agb
ARPA:	I wish.

( Find the Fish.  Where, oh where, has that little fishy gone? )

chris@laidbak.UUCP (Chris Granner) (10/12/85)

>>Clearly because they are all wrong!  The best guitarists are Fred Frith
>>and Robert Frip, and there can be *no* argument.
>>			 Doug Alan
>>			  nessus@mit-eddie.UUCP (or ARPA)
>
>Hey Doug--
>
>--because it depends on your own personal tastes to decide who is *THE* best.
>
>                              Paul Kirsch

OK...

Speaking for MYSELF and MY OWN PERSONAL TASTES and with MY OWN OPINION

(instead of usually when I speak for everyone else)

In other words, could we have a little less criticism of an article which
states the author's thought without reminding the world that he's
referring to his own view of the world, as if he had a choice?

-cg (...!ihnp4!laidbak!chris)

oh-- Fripp.

"it is so clear you can see the spider chips on the cobwebs."

garyo@masscomp.UUCP (Gary Oberbrunner) (10/14/85)

Yea Fripp!
For some truly DIFFERENT and amazing Robert Fripp, check out ``The Cheerful
Insanity of Giles, Giles and Fripp'' - a pre-Crimson (1968?) album.  It has
some of the most seductively simple melodies Fripp ever wrote couching
entirely outrageous lyrics, as well as several unbelievable guitar solos.
The whole record is clearly in the middle-60's vein, but even then Fripp
shone through as a compositional and musical genius.  His `power through
understatement' musical philosophy is clearer on this record than any
other I've heard, maybe because the surface simplicity of the music lulls
you into a false sense of security, so when he hits you you FEEL it.
Anyway, enough pontificating.  The record is great - get it, you'll love it.

					- Gary Oberbrunner
			...{ihnp4,harvard,allegra}!masscomp!garyo

kirsch@sjuvax.UUCP (P. Kirsch) (10/16/85)

In article <265@laidbak.UUCP> the net writes:

>>>Clearly because they are all wrong!  The best guitarists are Fred Frith
>>>and Robert Frip, and there can be *no* argument.
>>>			 Doug Alan
>>>			  nessus@mit-eddie.UUCP (or ARPA)
>>
>>Hey Doug--
>>
>>--because it depends on your own personal tastes to decide who is *THE* best.
>>
>>                              Paul Kirsch
>>

>OK...
>
>Speaking for MYSELF and MY OWN PERSONAL TASTES and with MY OWN OPINION
>
>(instead of usually when I speak for everyone else)
>
>In other words, could we have a little less criticism of an article which
>states the author's thought without reminding the world that he's
>referring to his own view of the world, as if he had a choice?
>
>-cg (...!ihnp4!laidbak!chris)

I REALIZE that he's giving his own view--what I was trying to point out is
that I think it's kind of ridiculous to have an argument about who is the
best guitarist because it IS such a personal judgement.

Comments like "Oh he's not as good as so and so" are what I'm talking
about. It's kind of a ridiculous thing to say because you can't prove
it--a comment like "so and so is also good" would be a lot more appropriate
than trying to say "so and so" is *THEE* best.

--

Another wunnerful letter from the semi-intelligent rotting brain of:

                              Paul Kirsch
                              St. Joseph's University
                              Philadelphia, Pa

{ astrovax | allegra | bpa | burdvax } !sjuvax!kirsch

Warning: Objects in Terminal Room are Closer than they Appear...

rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Rich Rosen) (10/20/85)

>>> The GREATEST guitarist of ALL time was  Diesibon "Fat
>>> Muhfuh" Utawanga, and ANYBODY who disagrees just does not know what he is
>>> talking about.  So there!

>>Look, guys, Toejam Jawallaby (as I've already said, the acknowledged greatest
>>guitarist of all time) has spoken, and he said Ace Frehley of KISS (once) is
>>the best guitarist, and if you can't go by the opinion of the greatest
>>guitarist of all time as to who the best guitarist in the world is, what can
>>you go by?

> You got to watch out. Toejam is well-known for putting people on, especially
> the media. I have it on unimpeacheable sources that he was kidding when he
> said that about Frehley. It is quite clear that the Fat Muhfuh had a profound
> influence on both Frehley and Jawallaby, so even if he was kidding, Utawanga
> is THE greatest super-guitarist is all time.

Utawanga did develop the "fishslap" technique later resurrected by other
guitarists (including Carlo Huggins and Jackie Selgar).  But it WAS Jawallaby
who took that technique to its logical conclusion (Utawanga never used it in
as electronic a fashion as Jawallaby).  In addition, Jawallaby's inventiveness
in the arena of electronic guitar modulation preceded Jimi Hendrix and
Toshiro Mashimi by at least five years, with the development of the whizzbox
and the chrometone pedal which are now standard accessories (under other
names, of course) of every guitarist's ensemble.  Jawallaby's music broke
new ground in a way that Utawanga never could.  Furthermore, Jawallaby may
have been a bit of a practical joker (recalling the "secret note" on the
cover of his "Chimes Sender" album), but that behavior never extended itself
into his discussions about music.  He was always serious about music, his
and others'.
--
Anything's possible, but only a few things actually happen.
					Rich Rosen    pyuxd!rlr