[comp.sys.mac] Sundesk Hints

kingman@tci.bell-atl.com (Matt Kingman) (02/10/90)

Here are some SunDesk hints that I recieved from Frederic Miserey
on AppleLink.

/Matt

----------

 SunDesk hints :

    I do apologize not to use the color setting when displaying the color icon.

    To add a color icon, paste the ICN# and an icl8 with the same ID.
    I'm sorry but I can't recognize an icl8 in an application : I'm not the
Finder ; you'll have to add it to SunDesk Icons.

    icl8 (along with icl4, ics4 & ics8) will be used by Finder 7.0 as written
in the System 7.0 binder that was given to us during WWDC 89.

    Please note that when you add new icons in SunDesk icons, the sysz is
recomputed in SunDesk file. That's why after a huge add you'll see a crossed
umbrella : Simply reboot as the sysz is properly updated.

    You can change the darkness factor in SunDesk Icons : the PERC resource
contains the dimmed factor ; the default value is 680 : an hilited color has
its brightness lowered to 68% of the original.

All this needs a doc but I've no time for this.

Yours,

Frederic.

AL: KORTEX

General Discussion:Developers Ask Each Other:Developer Services

--
Matt Kingman - Systems Engineer		kingman@tci.bell-atl.com
Technology Concepts Inc.		...!uunet!tci!kingman

jtn@potomac.ads.com (John T. Nelson) (02/17/90)

In article <672@tci.bell-atl.com>, kingman@tci.bell-atl.com (Matt Kingman) writes:

> I do apologize not to use the color setting when displaying the
> color icon.  To add a color icon, paste the ICN# and an icl8 with
> the same ID.
> I'm sorry but I can't recognize an icl8 in an application : I'm not the
> Finder ; you'll have to add it to SunDesk Icons.
>
> All this needs a doc but I've no time for this.

Better get SOME kind of doc out soon.  I couldn't make heads or tails
of that posting.  What is SunDesk?  An INIT?  A CDEV?  A replacement
for the Finder?  What auxillerly files does it use?  How is it
activated?

What in blazes does it even DO?

truesdel@ics.uci.edu (Scott Truesdell) (02/17/90)

jtn@potomac.ads.com (John T. Nelson) writes:

>Better get SOME kind of doc out soon.  I couldn't make heads or tails
>of that posting.

First, Frederic is French, so sometimes his English is a little opaque
:-)  He works on non-free software for a living and is a very busy
person. Let me try and help.

>What is SunDesk?  An INIT?  A CDEV?  A replacement
>for the Finder?  What auxillerly files does it use?  How is it
>activated?

SunDesk is an INIT that enables the Finder to show color icons.
The color icons are kept in a file called SunDesk Icons, which
should be in the System Folder. The SunDesk Icons file contains
resources of type CLUT, ICN#, and icl8, which is the color icon.
icl8 will be used by future versions of Apple's Finder to show
color icons.

SunDesk Icons file is edited with ResEdit with Frederic's ResColors
additions. Probably the easiest way to get all the docs and everything
to ftp my site and grab what you need.

	host name	ics.uci.edu
	host IP addr	128.195.1.1
	login		anonymous
	password	guest
	path		~ftp/pub/mac

Hope this helps.

  --scott

--
Scott Truesdell

Ed.Edell@p1.f563.n107.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Ed Edell) (02/20/90)

> icl8 will be used by future versions of Apple's Finder to show
> color icons.

In what manner? I mean, will authors be able to include them in
their applications, and have the new Finder recognize and use them?
Or, will we have to continue to have an 'external' file containing
the icl8 color icons?
                        -Ed

--
Ed Edell via cmhGate - Net 226 fido<=>uucp gateway Col, OH
UUCP: ...!osu-cis!n8emr!cmhgate!107!563.1!Ed.Edell

truesdel@ics.uci.edu (Scott Truesdell) (02/22/90)

Ed.Edell@p1.f563.n107.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Ed Edell) writes:

>> icl8 will be used by future versions of Apple's Finder to show
>> color icons.
>
>In what manner? I mean, will authors be able to include them in
>their applications, and have the new Finder recognize and use them?
>Or, will we have to continue to have an 'external' file containing
>the icl8 color icons?

I don't know that. In fact I couldn't even verify the original statement.
The people that could, people working on new System software at Apple,
are bound not to comment on future developments.

My information came from a developer who has ongoing contact with such
a person at Apple.  I don't think it is appropriate for me to initiate
a flood of email to DTS or other people at Apple (remember David
Ramsey!) so, lets just say that the technique that Ed Edell proffered
seems a likely route.

  --scott

--
Scott Truesdell

Ed.Edell@p1.f563.n107.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Ed Edell) (02/23/90)

>Ed.Edell@p1.f563.n107.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Ed Edell) writes:
>
>>> icl8 will be used by future versions of Apple's Finder to show
>>> color icons.
>>
>>In what manner? I mean, will authors be able to include them in
>>their applications, and have the new Finder recognize and use them?
>>Or, will we have to continue to have an 'external' file containing
>>the icl8 color icons?
>>
>I don't know that. In fact I couldn't even verify the original statement.
>The people that could, people working on new System software at Apple,
>are bound not to comment on future developments.
>
>My information came from a developer who has ongoing contact with such
>a person at Apple.  I don't think it is appropriate for me to initiate
>a flood of email to DTS or other people at Apple (remember David
>Ramsey!) so, lets just say that the technique that Ed Edell proffered
>seems a likely route.
>
>  --scott
>

>Scott Truesdell

Okay, I understand...          -Ed

--

wilkins@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Mark Wilkins) (02/25/90)

In article <42748.25E7857D@cmhgate.FIDONET.ORG> Ed.Edell@p1.f563.n107.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Ed Edell) writes:

>>>In what manner? I mean, will authors be able to include them in
>>>their applications, and have the new Finder recognize and use them?
>>>Or, will we have to continue to have an 'external' file containing
>>>the icl8 color icons?

  According to the System 7 Preliminary Developer Notes distributed at the
1989 World Developer Conference, WHICH WAS NOT DISTRIBUTED UNDER
NONDISCLOSURE, (there, that's for Apple) icl4, icl8, ics4, ics8, and SICN
resources may be included in the BNDL resource under Finder 7.0.  In other
words, they will work identically to ICN# icons.  The only caveat is that
they MUST have the same ID as a corresponding (and present) ICN# icon.

-- Mark Wilkins
   wilkins@jarthur.claremont.edu