[comp.sys.mac] Typeface management

norman@a.cs.okstate.edu (Norman Graham) (02/09/90)

How do you netlanders organise fonts with more than two weights?
In particular, I'm about to pick up Adobe Garamond, which has three
weights: Regular, Semi Bold, and Bold. When I choose 'bold' from
the style menu, should I get the Semi Bold or Bold face?

As fonts with many weights become more common I suspect that font
menus are going to become much more cluttered. Gee whiz, what am
I going to do with Adobe's Helvetica 1, 2, and 3 which contain eight
weights of Helvetica: Ultra Light, Thin, Light, Roman, Medium, Bold,
Heavy, and Black. It sure would be nice if Apple let you treat these
as one font with eight weights.

A related question: Is there any way to organize the faces in the
Adobe Garamond Expert Collection other than just treating them as
different fonts unrelated to Adobe Garamond?

A last question: Can someone with experience using Adobe Garamond
comment on how it reproduces at 300 dpi? (Note that Adobe Garamond is
different than Adobe's other Garamond faces: ITC Garamond, Garamond 3,
and Stempel Garamond.)

Cheers,
Norm
--
Norman Graham                            Oklahoma State University
  Internet:  norman@a.cs.okstate.edu     Computing and Information Sciences

dkletter@adobe.COM (Reality is the only word that should always be used in quotes) (02/10/90)

In article <5355@okstate.UUCP> norman@a.cs.okstate.edu (Norman Graham) writes:
>When I choose 'bold' from the style menu, should I get the Semi Bold or
>Bold face?

you will get Semibold.

in a world of standards, it's hard to understand, but in the typeface world
there are no standards as to what 10point size means, what a stylename
means. each typeface is different in all aspects.

> As fonts with many weights become more common I suspect that font
>menus are going to become much more cluttered.

keep in mind that aside from our Adobe Originals(tm) a large portion of
the text typefaces (like Claude Garamond's Garamond) were first designed
and cut in the early 1700s. the commonness that you are noticing is not
a new development, only that we are expanding our library.

>A related question: Is there any way to organize the faces in the
>Adobe Garamond Expert Collection other than just treating them as
>different fonts unrelated to Adobe Garamond?

i have my Adobe Garamond fonts all together regardless of the style links.

>A last question: Can someone with experience using Adobe Garamond
>comment on how it reproduces at 300 dpi?

i think it looks quite good at 300. you must keep in mind that this font
has a smaller x-height than the average so it looks better in the small
point sizes (i.e. it doesn't really look very good in a banner or headline).
this is why it's a "text" face.

>(Note that Adobe Garamond is different than Adobe's other Garamond faces:
>ITC Garamond, Garamond 3, and Stempel Garamond.)

(which is also different from Simocini Garamond 2;^)

hope this helps.--d

"Ye-uch!! Tiggers DON'T like honey!  |		dkletter@adobe.com
That icky, sticky stuff is only fit  | ...decwrl!adobe.com!adobe!dkletter
for heffalumps and woosles!"	     |     Adobe Systems Incorporated

frank@mnetor.UUCP (Frank Kolnick) (02/10/90)

In article <5355@okstate.UUCP> norman@a.cs.okstate.edu (Norman Graham) writes:
>How do you netlanders organise fonts with more than two weights?
>In particular, I'm about to pick up Adobe Garamond, which has three
>weights: Regular, Semi Bold, and Bold. When I choose 'bold' from
>the style menu, should I get the Semi Bold or Bold face?

Adobe Garamond + Expert is one of my favourite typefaces. I'd love to
be able to reduce the menu clutter, but I've tried twice and had
to back out because of conflicts with stupid applications that refer
to fonts by ID rather than name, and because of the sheer horror
on the face of my Lino service bureau's operator when I suggested it.
So I live with very long font menus. At least MS Word lets me build
a menu with only those faces I use frequently (I go to the character
dialog for the rest).

>A last question: Can someone with experience using Adobe Garamond
>comment on how it reproduces at 300 dpi? (Note that Adobe Garamond is
>different than Adobe's other Garamond faces: ITC Garamond, Garamond 3,
>and Stempel Garamond.)

It looks remarkably good (at the standard point sizes), but not good
enough for production. I never use it for manuals which are just
going to be photocopied, for example (I use Stone, instead).

(Microsoft: When *will* Word refer to typefaces by name?)
--
Frank Kolnick,
Basis Computer Systems Inc.

norman@a.cs.okstate.edu (Norman Graham) (02/11/90)

From article <1785@adobe.UUCP>, by dkletter@adobe.COM (Reality is the only word that should always be used in quotes):
> In article <5355@okstate.UUCP> norman@a.cs.okstate.edu (Norman Graham) writes:
>> As fonts with many weights become more common I suspect that font
>>menus are going to become much more cluttered.
>
> keep in mind that aside from our Adobe Originals(tm) a large portion of
> the text typefaces (like Claude Garamond's Garamond) were first designed
> and cut in the early 1700s. the commonness that you are noticing is not
> a new development, only that we are expanding our library.

I'm not complaining; In fact I applaud Adobe's effort to release
typefaces that include several weights and stylistic variations.
(Personally I've been lusting for swash capitals and old-style
numerals for quite some time now; The titling caps, small caps,
superiors, and the extra ligatures are a nice bonus. :-)

But I would prefer one typeface name (Adobe Garamond) in the font
menu and have eight or ten styles that apply to it (roman, italic,
semibold, bold, swash, titling capital, small capital, swash italic,
etc.). Of course, I realize that it's Apple's job to add new
weights and stylistic variations to their font organization scheme.
Until that happens, it looks like Adobe Garamond and Adobe Garamond
Expert Collection are going to occupy 15 slots in my font menu.

Cheers,
Norm
--
Norman Graham                            Oklahoma State University
  Internet:  norman@a.cs.okstate.edu     Computing and Information Sciences
      UUCP:  {cbosgd, rutgers}           219 Mathematical Sciences Building
              !okstate!norman            Stillwater, OK  USA  74078-0599

urlichs@smurf.ira.uka.de (02/12/90)

In comp.sys.mac, article <5225@mnetor.UUCP>,
  frank@mnetor.UUCP (Frank Kolnick) writes:
<
< (Microsoft: When *will* Word refer to typefaces by name?)

Just save in RTF format.
Yes I know this is not a solution.
(Another round of Microsoft bashing, anyone? ;-)
--
Matthias Urlichs

ksbolduan@amherst.bitnet (02/18/90)

In article <1785@adobe.UUCP>, dkletter@adobe.COM (Reality is the only word that should always be used in quotes) writes:
>>(Note that Adobe Garamond is different than Adobe's other Garamond faces:
>>ITC Garamond, Garamond 3, and Stempel Garamond.)
>
> (which is also different from Simocini Garamond 2;^)

And is this different from Apple Garamond? The font that Apple uses for
everything from the word Macintosh on its computers to their advertisements
appears to be a narrow version of the regular garamond. Does anyone know where
I can get a bitmap (screen) font for this? Or does Adobe sell it? I've never
seen it advertised...

Kevin Bolduan '91 Amherst College
KSBOLDUAN@AMHERST Bitnet Address

ksbolduan@amherst.bitnet writes:

>>>(Note that Adobe Garamond is different than Adobe's other Garamond faces:
>>>ITC Garamond, Garamond 3, and Stempel Garamond.)

>And is this different from Apple Garamond? The font that Apple uses for
>everything from the word Macintosh on its computers to their advertisements
>appears to be a narrow version of the regular garamond.

Yes, it's different. Apple has a custom version of Garamond (basically it's
condensed horizontally to 80%). It's not commercially available, but it can
be simulated in programs that allow condensing of type.

--

Chuq Von Rospach   <+>   chuq@apple.com   <+>   [This is myself speaking]

I don't know what's scarier: President Reagan saying he had no inkling of
his aides doing anything illegal, or an ex-president who uses the word inkling.