[comp.sys.mac] Mac --> HP Laser???

ajauch@paris.ics.uci.edu (Alexander Edwin Jauch) (02/24/90)

I am about to propose to my boss that we hook up my Mac (a IIcx) directly
to a series 500 laser that is currently being under-utilized.  I think
I can accomplish this with a Grappler which I am told comes with a driver
and cable.  Has anyone done this?  Does it work?  Are there any better or
cheaper soloutions?

Thanx
Alex Jauch
UCI, AdCom
ajauch@bonnie.ics.uci.edu

john@newave.UUCP (John A. Weeks III) (02/26/90)

In <25E578CB.9565@paris.ics.uci.edu> ajauch@paris.ics.uci.edu (Alexander Edwin Jauch) writes:
> I am about to propose to my boss that we hook up my Mac (a IIcx) directly
> to a series 500 laser that is currently being under-utilized. [...]  Are
> there any better or cheaper soloutions?

Check out MacPrint and JetLink.  Both have been reviewed by the leading
Mac magazines in the past months.  These are chooser level drivers for
HP laser printers that are Laser Jet compatible.  I have seen and used
MacPrint, it seems to work just fine providing you have at least 1-Mbyte
of memory (512K will not be enough for full page graphics).  Do not expect
postscript programs to work well unless you buy a postscript adapter.

-john-

John A. Weeks III               (612) 942-6969               john@newave.mn.org
NeWave Communications                ...uunet!rosevax!bungia!wd0gol!newave!john