[comp.sys.mac] MaxAppleZoom

fratus@mgaid1.niaid.nih.gov (John Fratus) (02/23/90)

I just downloaded the MaxAppleZoom INIT/cdev from a local bbs. What it
does (in case you haven't heard of it) is increase the size of the screen
on a Mac II series computer with a genuine Apple color (640x480) board.
Amazingly enough, it works. Pretty much. My screen is now something like
700x500. Unfortunately, the left hand side of the screen is not quite right.
It seems to be shifted about ten pixels to the left. (In other words it's
not visible...) There's no mention of this possibility in the readme file
that came with the cdev. Sooooo, does anyone else have this cdev; has anyone
else had this problem?

Even with this small glitch, I think this cdev is pretty amazing.

Apple: If there was available memory on the card all this time, why didn't
you guys use it? The gains quoted above don't sound like much, but the gain
makes the screen feel _much_ larger. And as we all know... bigger is better!
(=J>)

- John (fratus@niaid.nih.gov)

rob@uokmax.uucp (Bolo) (02/24/90)

In article <1369@nih-csl.UUCP> fratus@mgaid1.niaid.nih.gov (John Fratus) writes:
>Amazingly enough, it works. Pretty much. My screen is now something like
>700x500. Unfortunately, the left hand side of the screen is not quite right.
>It seems to be shifted about ten pixels to the left. (In other words it's
>not visible...) There's no mention of this possibility in the readme file

I've tried this on two Mac II's and one IIx (so far). The two Mac II's have
the left side cut off (can't be corrected by monitor adjustment). The IIx
works perfectly all the way around.
	Robert
--
Robert K. Shull
rob@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu				chinet!uokmax!rob

t-jacobs@cs.utah.edu (Tony Jacobs) (02/24/90)

In article <1369@nih-csl.UUCP> fratus@mgaid1.niaid.nih.gov (John Fratus) writes:
>I just downloaded the MaxAppleZoom INIT/cdev from a local bbs. What it
>does (in case you haven't heard of it) is increase the size of the screen
>on a Mac II series computer with a genuine Apple color (640x480) board.
>Amazingly enough, it works. Pretty much. My screen is now something like
>700x500. Unfortunately, the left hand side of the screen is not quite right.
>It seems to be shifted about ten pixels to the left. (In other words it's
>not visible...) There's no mention of this possibility in the readme file
>that came with the cdev. Sooooo, does anyone else have this cdev; has anyone
>else had this problem?

YES, This occurs on my Mac too. I count about 13 pixels. I wonder if there is
some slight difference between video boards that causes this?

Tony Jacobs * Center for Engineering Design * U of U * t-jacobs@cs.utah.edu

rewing@Apple.COM (Richard Ewing) (02/26/90)

In article <1369@nih-csl.UUCP> fratus@mgaid1.niaid.nih.gov (John Fratus) writes:
>I just downloaded the MaxAppleZoom INIT/cdev from a local bbs. What it
>does (in case you haven't heard of it) is increase the size of the screen
>on a Mac II series computer with a genuine Apple color (640x480) board.
>Amazingly enough, it works. Pretty much. My screen is now something like
>700x500. Unfortunately, the left hand side of the screen is not quite right.
>It seems to be shifted about ten pixels to the left. (In other words it's
>not visible...) There's no mention of this possibility in the readme file
>that came with the cdev. Sooooo, does anyone else have this cdev; has anyone
>else had this problem?
>
>Apple: If there was available memory on the card all this time, why didn't
>you guys use it? The gains quoted above don't sound like much, but the gain
>makes the screen feel _much_ larger. And as we all know... bigger is better!
>(=J>)
>
>- John (fratus@niaid.nih.gov)

In the Readme file, there is a section about readjusting your Apple
Color Monitor to handle the screen overscan problems that occur
with this cdev.  And with this problem comes the crux of why Apple
went with a 640x480 resolution on the card.  This init stretches
the capabilities of the Apple Sony-designed monitor to its absolute
limits, as it was designed for 640x480 resolution in mind.  I personally
think the init is pretty neat, and many people in our office use it,
but if you have to readjust your monitor to do it (something I
don't recommend the lay user do), you may want to reassess your desire
to use this little program.

|Disclaimer:  I run 125 INITs. Nothing I say can be seriously considered. |
|Internet: REWING@APPLE.COM-----------------------Rick Ewing              |
|ApplelinkPE & MacNet Soon!------------------Apple Computer, Inc.         |
|Applelink: EWING--------------------100 Ashford Center North, Suite 100  |
|Compu$erve: [76474,1732]--------------------Atlanta, GA 30338            |
|GENIE: R.EWING1--------------------------TalkNet: (404) 393-9358         |
|USENET: {amdahl,decwrl,sun,unisoft}!apple!rewing                         |
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

t-jacobs@cs.utah.edu (Tony Jacobs) (02/26/90)

In article <38947@apple.Apple.COM> rewing@Apple.COM (Richard Ewing) writes:
>In article <1369@nih-csl.UUCP> fratus@mgaid1.niaid.nih.gov (John Fratus) writes:
>>I just downloaded the MaxAppleZoom INIT/cdev from a local bbs. What it
>>does (in case you haven't heard of it) is increase the size of the screen
>>on a Mac II series computer with a genuine Apple color (640x480) board.
>>Amazingly enough, it works. Pretty much. My screen is now something like
>>700x500. Unfortunately, the left hand side of the screen is not quite right.
>>It seems to be shifted about ten pixels to the left. (In other words it's
>>not visible...) There's no mention of this possibility in the readme file
>>that came with the cdev. Sooooo, does anyone else have this cdev; has anyone
>>else had this problem?
>>
>>Apple: If there was available memory on the card all this time, why didn't
>>you guys use it? The gains quoted above don't sound like much, but the gain
>>makes the screen feel _much_ larger. And as we all know... bigger is better!
>>(=J>)
>>
>>- John (fratus@niaid.nih.gov)
>
>In the Readme file, there is a section about readjusting your Apple
>Color Monitor to handle the screen overscan problems that occur
>with this cdev.  And with this problem comes the crux of why Apple
>went with a 640x480 resolution on the card.  This init stretches
>the capabilities of the Apple Sony-designed monitor to its absolute
>limits, as it was designed for 640x480 resolution in mind.  I personally
>think the init is pretty neat, and many people in our office use it,
>but if you have to readjust your monitor to do it (something I
>don't recommend the lay user do), you may want to reassess your desire
>to use this little program.
>
>|Internet: REWING@APPLE.COM-----------------------Rick Ewing              |
>|ApplelinkPE & MacNet Soon!------------------Apple Computer, Inc.         |

NO. I've messed with these adjustments and they are not the problem. It's as
though the cdev is telling it to use 705 in the horizontal direction and its
only getting 690 or so. The cursor as well as windows go off the screen and you don't see them. It doesn't matter if you have adjusted the monitor to shrink