[comp.sys.mac] Ancient Clock Program

jwz@birch (Jamie Zawinski) (02/19/90)

A while back I posted asking if anyone knew where I could find a "melting
clock" program that I saw long ago.  Well, I got quite a few responses.  The
program is called "Dali Clock" and was written by Steve Capps; there is a
version of it on sumex-aim in the file info-mac/app/dali-clock.hqx.  This
version, however, won't run on a Mac Plus.  But Ephraim Vishniac
(ephraim@think.com) has hacked on it and sent me a version that runs on all
Macs.  If you want a copy of this, I'd be happy to email it to you.

(Now maybe these 20k binhex files will stop showing up in my mailbox! :-))

Thanks for all the replies...

		-- Jamie

ephraim@think.com (Ephraim Vishniac) (02/27/90)

In article <22238@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> jwz@birch (Jamie Zawinski) writes:

>A while back I posted asking if anyone knew where I could find a "melting
>clock" program that I saw long ago.  Well, I got quite a few responses.  The
>program is called "Dali Clock" and was written by Steve Capps; there is a
>version of it on sumex-aim in the file info-mac/app/dali-clock.hqx.  This
>version, however, won't run on a Mac Plus.  But Ephraim Vishniac
>(ephraim@think.com) has hacked on it and sent me a version that runs on all
>Macs.

It doesn't actually run on *all* Macs, though it did at the time I
worked on it, before the Mac II rollout.  I believe it works on all
Macs in monochrome (1 bit per pixel) mode, though it does weird stuff
to your screen under Multifinder.

On the bright side, full source code is included, so anybody with a
little time on his hands could fix it up.  The basic problem is that
it writes directly to the screen, a very nasty habit.  I'm currently
dreaming of building it into a screen-saver, a project made feasible
(I hope) by the advent of After Dark.  Hang on while I call
MacConnection...
--
Ephraim Vishniac    ephraim@think.com   ThinkingCorp@applelink.apple.com
 Thinking Machines Corporation / 245 First Street / Cambridge, MA 02142