[comp.sys.mac] problem with United v2.0

jprice@uclapp.physics.ucla.edu (John Price) (02/25/90)

     HELP!  I just downloaded United-20.hqx from the sumex archive,
transferred to my Mac+ with 1Meg RAM, binhexed, unstuffed, and ran it.  It
crashed my system.  Anyone else have this problem?

 /----------------------------\ /----------------------------------------\
| John Price                   | BITNET:   price@uclaph                   |
| 5-145 Knudsen Hall           | Internet: jprice@uclapp.physics.ucla.edu |
| UCLA Dept. of Physics        | DECnet:   uclapp::jprice                 |
| Los Angeles, CA  90024-1547  | YellNet:  213-825-2259                   |
 \----------------------------/ \----------------------------------------/

smith@jacobs.CS.ORST.EDU (david smith) (02/25/90)

In article <00932CDE.EC425B40@uclapp.physics.ucla.edu> jprice@uclapp.physics.ucla.edu (John Price) writes:

>     HELP!  I just downloaded United-20.hqx from the sumex archive,
>transferred to my Mac+ with 1Meg RAM, binhexed, unstuffed, and ran it.  It
>crashed my system.  Anyone else have this problem?

Awhile back I had the same problem. Everytime I tried to run it, it crashed.
My system is an SE, 1meg, System 6.0.2.  Does someone out there have a fix??

David W. Smith
smith@jacobs.cs.orst.edu

mblakele@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Tad Blakeley) (02/26/90)

In article <00932CDE.EC425B40@uclapp.physics.ucla.edu> jprice@uclapp.physics.ucla.edu (John Price) writes:

>     HELP!  I just downloaded United-20.hqx from the sumex archive,
>transferred to my Mac+ with 1Meg RAM, binhexed, unstuffed, and ran it.  It
>crashed my system.  Anyone else have this problem?
>
> /----------------------------\ /----------------------------------------\
>| John Price                   | BITNET:   price@uclaph                   |
>| 5-145 Knudsen Hall           | Internet: jprice@uclapp.physics.ucla.edu |
>| UCLA Dept. of Physics        | DECnet:   uclapp::jprice                 |
>| Los Angeles, CA  90024-1547  | YellNet:  213-825-2259                   |
> \----------------------------/ \----------------------------------------/

	It hasn't exactly crashed my Mac II running MF with 2 meg, but it has
locked the machine once, and every time it runs it wants to create _three_
preference files: one in its folder, one in the System Folder, and one in
a locked Preferences folder, which it creates inside my System Folder.
It does a great job filtering and catting, but I consider it to be an extremely
rude and ill-mannered piece of code.
	(Not to slight Bill Stackhouse; I just want to report some bugs... :)
						-- tad

--
~   ...[physicists] who aren't actually dead are in some way very ill.       S
W						-- D. Adams	    	     T

vossron@Apple.COM (Ronald N. Voss) (02/27/90)

Has anyone seen these problems 1.04, which I like and use with no problems?
What is 2.0 supposed to do better?
--
Ron Voss          Apple Computer         I speak only for myself.