[comp.sys.mac] Apple //c+ cancelled

Justin_Randall_Padawer@cup.portal.com (02/24/90)

The latest MacWeek (20-Feb-1990) reports that Apple is considering
doing away with the entire Apple // line.  Furthermore, the Apple //c+
has officially bit the dust.  Quoting Daniel Farber:  "Apple has been
pursuing a carefully planned three-prong strategy to shore up its Mac
product line with new compact and modular models while also phasing out
its Apple // business, according to sources close to the company."  The
word, of course, circulating at Cupertino pizza places :-) is that
Michael Spindler wants to eliminate the // series because its revenues
are wayyyyy down.  To continue with Daniel Farber:  "Apple is also expected
to introduce in January of 1991 a low-cost color machine aimed at the
collapsing Apple // market..."  The article goes on to describe the machine
as being Mac-compatible and that "Apple has plans to introduce a board for
the low-cost color Mac that emulates an Apple //e..."
Interesting, huh?
--Randy Padawer
Internet:  Justin_Randall_Padawer@cup.portal.com
Cupertino/Portal:  Justin Randall Padawer

wilkins@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Mark Wilkins) (02/25/90)

Were this their plan, why would they spend all the money they have on
developing Apple IIgs' system 5.0 and APW?  This couldn't be a new decision,
were it true.

Of course, I would like nothing more than a cheap color Mac with Apple II
emulation, but it sounds a lot like an Apple IIgs to me. :-)

-- Mark Wilkins
   wilkins@jarthur.claremont.edu

nicholaA@batman.moravian.EDU (Andy Nicholas) (02/25/90)

In article <27265@cup.portal.com>, Justin_Randall_Padawer@cup.portal.com writes:

> "Apple has plans to introduce a board for
> the low-cost color Mac that emulates an Apple //e..."
> Interesting, huh?
> --Randy Padawer

Not really... I kind of wish that they would at least be smart enough to build
a GS-card for the mac so that I haven't written GS/ShrinkIt in vain...

andy

--

Yeah!

toddpw@tybalt.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) (02/27/90)

Justin_Randall_Padawer@cup.portal.com writes:

>The latest MacWeek (20-Feb-1990) reports that Apple is considering
>doing away with the entire Apple // line.  Furthermore, the Apple //c+

I think MacLEAK is just trying to get a rise out of Apple. They have said
that they have no intentions of dropping the ][, but haven't backed it up
yet. My sources close to Apple say that when they finally announce the stuff
they've developed over the last couple years there will be no question as to
whether or not they still support the ][. It will take more than that,
however, and we need to convince them of it.

>has officially bit the dust.  Quoting Daniel Farber:  "Apple has been
>pursuing a carefully planned three-prong strategy to shore up its Mac
>product line with new compact and modular models while also phasing out
>its Apple // business, according to sources close to the company."  The

This will never work. The Apple ][ is inherently cheaper than the mac and
therefore can go places the Mac will not. A //c+ portable would do what most
people really want in a portable and the price would be reasonable even at
Apple standard inflation.

>word, of course, circulating at Cupertino pizza places :-) is that
>Michael Spindler wants to eliminate the // series because its revenues
>are wayyyyy down.  To continue with Daniel Farber:  "Apple is also expected

Well, if they hadn't let it rot while they were Macurbating with the '030
then it wouldn't be selling so badly. If Apple just says, WE WILL SUPPORT
AND DEVELOP THE APPLE ][, and then follows up on it, you will see an amazing
jump in sales from people who have held out and not wanted to go amiga or PC
but will not buy a //gs or //c with an uncertain future.

>to introduce in January of 1991 a low-cost color machine aimed at the
>collapsing Apple // market..."  The article goes on to describe the machine
>as being Mac-compatible and that "Apple has plans to introduce a board for
>the low-cost color Mac that emulates an Apple //e..."

This will not work, if the best they can do is emulate the //e then only
schools will buy it, and if the low cost mac is as reported in MacLeak
(68000, 4 bit color, $2000) then FORGET IT. Not only will the ][ user base
feel betrayed as hell, they will be buying a more expensive machine and then
have to pay extra for the emulator!

When you consider the actual engineering involved in this, it becomes pretty
obvious how ludicrous it is. All MacLeak is doing is making more and more
people drop the ][ because they actually believe the a printed rumor.

MacLeak probably wants the rumors to come true.

They can go suck if they think I'm going to buy a Mac that sucks eggs and
still costs over twice an Amiga which can already emulate it faster and for
free (pirate ware mac emulators exist on the Amiga, they fixed quickdraw to
use the blitter so the desktop simply screams).

I'm not about to go Amiga, but there are a lot of people who have already.

WAKE UP APPLE!!!

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu