[comp.sys.mac] Cross-Referencing in MS-WORD?

gkj@doc.ic.ac.uk (Guido K Jouret) (02/20/90)

I'm trying to figure out how to do cross-referencing in Word (4.0).  By
this I mean that I'd like to be able to say, in the body of section xx
for example, "the following, as demonstrated in section yy", so that if
I move section yy the reference in the line above will be updated too.

Ideally there would be a way to create variables such as 'yy = $CurrSection'
and then you go on and refer to yy.  By section I mean whatever numbers
the 'Number...' command adds to headings.

This is fairly crucial for writing theses...  Has anyone out there come
up against this problem and found some clever way to solve it?  Please
drop me a note in my electronic mail box.  I'd be very grateful.

Thanks,

Guido...

 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~+< Guido K. Jouret >+~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
/ email:  gkj@uk.ac.ic.doc                         =  Humor is like a frog:    \
| rmail:  Functional Programming Section           =                           |
|         Dept. of Computing                       =  It can be dissected, but |
|         Imperial College                         =    usually dies in the    |
|         London SW7 2AZ                           =         process.          |
|         U.K.                                     =                           |
\   tel:  44-1-589-5111 xt: 7532                   =                           /

englandr@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Scott Englander) (02/25/90)

I've wanted to do this for years, especially for numbering equations.
For figures, i use a system whereby i five a figure a symbol, like
"Figure #blockdiag" when i'm writing, then replace the symbols globally
in the final version.  This is still a pain, though, and i find it
incredible that automatic numbering does not exist.
--

                                               - Scott

chee77@elroy.uh.edu (Fred Schulz) (02/26/90)

                        Cross Referencing in Word
                        -------------------------
                             by Fred Schulz

It's pretty easy to use the print merge feature of word to cross reference
equations, figures, tables, etc. You just "name" your equations, and then
reference them by name throughout the document. Your names are print merge
symbols, for example, <<fig1>>, <<fig2>>, etc.

then you keep an associated print merge file which contains all the names
in the first record of the file, and the corresponding numbers in the second
and last record of the file. The you print merge your final copy, and let print
merge do the work of the global substitutions. For example,

equations,e1,e2,e3,e4,e5,e6,e7,e8,e9,e10,e11,figures,f1,f2,f3,f4,f5,tables,...

equations,(1),(2),(3),(4),(5),(6),(7),(8),(9),(10),(11),figures,1,2,3,4,5,
tables,...

is a sample print merge document. Now in my paper I write

As shown in Eq. <<e1>>, compare this to the data shown in Fig. <<f2>>, etc...

When I print merge the merge symbols are replaced by the appropriate numbers.
It's now easy to move or insert equations. Say I needed to add an equation
between 2 and 3. I'd just put its name there and add a number at the end of the
equation list. The new merge file would look like

equations,e1,e2,e2-2,e3,e4,e5,e6,e7,e8,e9,e10,e11,figures,f1,f2,f3,f4,f5,
tables,...,references,...

equations,(1),(2),(3),(4),(5),(6),(7),(8),(9),(10),(11),(12),figures,1,2,3,4,5,
tables,...,references,...

I used e1, e2, etc, in this example, based on their original position in the
document - you might prefer to use names related to the equations themselves.

After you have alot of equations, it can become tedious to count the number of
eqs, figs, etc, so you can use the word count utility to do it for you. Just
select the list of equation names and do a word count. If you do use this
technique, avoid periods and spaces in your equation names, as they are word
delimiters and will make one equation name count as 2 words.

Well using this procedure makes it pretty easy to do cross-referencing. It's
similar to the method used by more sophisticated utilities like Wordref, but
you do the book keeping manually here, with the advantage the only application
you need is word itself.

I hope this is helpful and that I have explained the procedure reasonably well.
Good luck with it.

stevens@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Curt Stevens) (02/28/90)

In article <5660.25e7c32e@elroy.uh.edu> chee77@elroy.uh.edu (Fred Schulz) writes:

>                        Cross Referencing in Word
>reference them by name throughout the document. Your names are print merge
>symbols, for example, <<fig1>>, <<fig2>>, etc.
>
>then you keep an associated print merge file which contains all the names
>in the first record of the file, and the corresponding numbers in the second

There is a program in the info-mac archives called word-ref (the current
version is 1.3 it think) which does this stuff in a more automatic
manner, creating the merge file for you based upon the document in
question. I've used this for a paper at a conference and people were
generally very happy with my ability to do this. I've also defined
glossary items for placing a template for figure references and table
references and merge definitions into the document without having to type
them. While it would be much better if Word would include something
automatic like this in the next version (ha-ha), at least this works.
BTW, it also does bibliographies but I use endnote (niles & acssoc) which
I think is a great program for references.

|Curt Stevens       (303) 492-1218 |   /   |arpa: stevens@boulder.colorado.edu|
|University of Colorado at Boulder |  o o  |uucp:{ncar|nbires}!boulder!stevens|
|Computer Science Dept. ECOT 7-7   |   |   |----------------------------------|
|Campus Box 430                    |  \_/  |I don't believe in intuition, but |
|Boulder, Colorado 80309-0430  USA |       |I have strangest feeling I will!! |

========
| Curt |
========