[comp.sys.mac] DeskTop Manager?

mmccann@hubcap.clemson.edu (Mike McCann) (02/23/90)

How do I get Desktop Managaer to recognize icons for documents?  I have
all my icons for applications but me documents are all plain "document"
icons.  Any suggestions?  Rebuilding the Desktop doesn't work (it won't
let me rebuild it at all).

Thanks for any help you can offer,

--
Mike McCann       (803) 656-3714   Internet = mmccann@hubcap.clemson.edu
Poole Computer Center (Box P-21)     Bitnet = mmccann@clemson.bitnet

m_herodotus@coors.dec.com (Mario Herodotus - Digital Customer Support Center (800) 525-6570) (02/23/90)

	Can someone please post Desktop Manager to .binaries?  Or maybe
someone could mail me a copy of it?  All this assumes that we won't be
doing anything illegal.  I would like to start using Desktop Manager if I
can get it.  I read in MACweek that it speeds up Finder Desktop operations,
and I could REALLY use that.

Thanks in advance,
Mario

Mario Herodotus   [ 1/K4 ]      |        m_herodotus@coors.dec.com
Digital Equipment Corporation   |
Customer Support Center         | - or - m_herodotus%coors.dec@decwrl.dec.com
305 Rockrimmon Blvd.            |
Colorado Springs, CO 80920      | - or - ...!decwrl!coors.dec.com!m_herodotus
(800) 525-6570  Ext 25520       |
[direct line (719) 592-5520]    |

thewho@portia.Stanford.EDU (Derek Fong) (02/24/90)

In article <1391@mountn.dec.com> m_herodotus@coors.dec.com (Mario Herodotus - Digital Customer Support Center (800) 525-6570) writes:

>	Can someone please post Desktop Manager to .binaries?  Or maybe
>someone could mail me a copy of it?  All this assumes that we won't be
>doing anything illegal.  I would like to start using Desktop Manager if I
>can get it.  I read in MACweek that it speeds up Finder Desktop operations,
>and I could REALLY use that.

Me too!

PLease post it to sumex-aim if it is indeed legal to do so.

===Derek Fong
fong@cive.stanford.edu
thewho@portia.stanford.edu

knapp@cs.utexas.edu (Edgar Knapp) (02/24/90)

After all this fuss again about DM now being fully compatible
(especially with respect to unmounting disks) I went ahead and
downloaded it from apple.apple.com. Alas, it does not allow me to
unmount most of my partitions on fixed hard disks nor my syquest
cartridges. Also, the System, MultiFinder, and almost all document
files lost their icons and not even temporarily copying the respective
applications onto the same disk brought them back. All in all it was
an exercise in futility. I wish people would post more accurate
accounts of what works and what doesn't.

By the way, I am running System 6.04, MF 6.1b7 on an 8MB Mac II with
PMMU. Also, the program DM Fix which I got from sumex and which is
supposed to address the unmountability problem does not work with
System 6.04.

Frustrated,

Edgar

(knapp@cs.utexas.edu)

hammen@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Robert Hammen) (02/28/90)

In article <7979@cs.utexas.edu> knapp@cs.utexas.edu (Edgar Knapp) writes:
>After all this fuss again about DM now being fully compatible
...text deleted...
>it does not allow me to
>unmount most of my partitions on fixed hard disks nor my syquest
>cartridges.

This was a problem with Finder versions older than 6.1.4. The "DM_Fix"
application (stored in the sumex-aim archives) solves that problem.
Finder 6.1.4, which shipped with System 6.0.4, now properly closes the
Desktop DB and Desktop DF files. If the Finder still won't unmount
your Syqest drives or partitions, it's because you've got another open
file on the drive somewhere (an open application or document, or font/da
with Suitcase or MasterJuggler).

>Also, the System, MultiFinder, and almost all document
>files lost their icons and not even temporarily copying the respective
>applications onto the same disk brought them back.

You MUST hold down the option and command keys to "rebuild the desktop"
after you install Desktop Manager (and boot with the INIT) or else you
will have these problems.

I have been using the Desktop Manager for over two years now, on a
variety of machines, with minimal problems. The one problem that I
have NOT seen addressed is the crash that you'll get if you try to
copy a bunch of Adobe printer fonts onto a HD when Desktop Manager
is active. The machine will slow to a crawl, and eventually crash or
hang. I sure hope Apple fixes this - but then again, maybe they'll
use it as an "incentive" to switch over to Royal fonts (excuse me,
it's now TrueType) :-)

Robert Hammen | Personal Publishing Magazine | hammen@ddsw1.mcs.com
76702.1135@compuserve.com | GEnie: R.HAMMEN | Delphi: HAMMEN