[comp.sys.mac] LaserWriter 6.0 Crashes Print Monitor 1.2

Paul Suhler (suhler@ibm.com) (02/26/90)

For months, I'd been unable to get Background Printing to work; jobs
would either disappear, print blank pages, or Print Monitor would crash,
requiring power cycling the machine to recover.

Finally, I replaced LaserWriter and Laser Prep versions 6.0 with the 5.2
versions.  Immediately, background printing worked fine and has now been
solid for a week.  Thanks to the person at the Computer Edge, Mt. Kisco,
NY, who told me that the versions of LW, LP, Print Monitor, and
Backgrounder must all be compatible.

Is this a known problem with LW/LP 6.0?  Is it fixed yet?  Anyone using
6.0 for color printing needs to know.

Paul Suhler
Hybrid Dataflow Systems

Paul Suhler (suhler@ibm.com) writes:
>Finally, I replaced LaserWriter and Laser Prep versions 6.0 with the 5.2
>versions.  Immediately, background printing worked fine and has now been
>solid for a week.  Thanks to the person at the Computer Edge, Mt. Kisco,
>NY, who told me that the versions of LW, LP, Print Monitor, and
>Backgrounder must all be compatible.

>Is this a known problem with LW/LP 6.0?  Is it fixed yet?  Anyone using
>6.0 for color printing needs to know.

Bug? I dunno if I'd say that. LW 6.0 is shipped with Printmonitor 1.3
because changes needed to be made to PM to support the new LW and LP files.
So running it with PM 1.2 (shipped with the 5.2 versions) isn't supported.
--

Chuq Von Rospach   <+>   chuq@apple.com   <+>   [This is myself speaking]

I don't know what's scarier: President Reagan saying he had no inkling of
his aides doing anything illegal, or an ex-president who uses the word inkling.

hammen@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Robert Hammen) (02/28/90)

>For months, I'd been unable to get Background Printing to work; jobs
...text deleted...
>Finally, I replaced LaserWriter and Laser Prep versions 6.0 with the 5.2
>versions.  Immediately, background printing worked fine and has now been
>solid for a week.  Thanks to the person at the Computer Edge, Mt. Kisco,
>NY, who told me that the versions of LW, LP, Print Monitor, and
>Backgrounder must all be compatible.
>Is this a known problem with LW/LP 6.0?  Is it fixed yet?

You need to make sure that the versions of the LaserWriter, Laser Prep, and
PrintMonitor are compatible. In the case of LaserWriter and Laser Prep 6.0,
you need to have PrintMonitor 1.3. (the version of Backgrounder is not
important).

How did you get LaserWriter 6.0? If your dealer gave you a copy, he was the
one that erred in not giving you PrintMonitor. If you've got the Color Disk,
and didn't install PrintMonitor 1.3, then you made the error.

<climbing on soapbox> I really wish that LaserWriter 6.0 would ship as a
"real" release (ie, included in new System Software releases) and not be
buried on an obscure "Color Disk" that 98% of the Apple dealers know
nothing about. LW 6.0 offers so many significant bug-fixes and enhancements
over 5.2 that it deserves to be a "general" release.

mclow@telesoft.com (Marshall Clow @telesoft) (02/28/90)

In article <1990Feb26.142644.15448@arnor.uucp>, Paul Suhler (suhler@ibm.com) writes:
> For months, I'd been unable to get Background Printing to work; jobs
> would either disappear, print blank pages, or Print Monitor would crash,
> requiring power cycling the machine to recover.
>
> Finally, I replaced LaserWriter and Laser Prep versions 6.0 with the 5.2
> versions.  Immediately, background printing worked fine and has now been
> solid for a week.  Thanks to the person at the Computer Edge, Mt. Kisco,
> NY, who told me that the versions of LW, LP, Print Monitor, and
> Backgrounder must all be compatible.
>
> Is this a known problem with LW/LP 6.0?  Is it fixed yet?  Anyone using
> 6.0 for color printing needs to know.
>
> Paul Suhler
> Hybrid Dataflow Systems

	There is a version of PrintMonitor that works with LW 6.0 on
	the disk that LW 6.0 comes on. If you use that, everything
	should be fine.

Marshall Clow
mclow@telesoft.com