[comp.sys.mac] Can I make my Clipboard bigger?

rrk@yoda.byu.edu (02/28/90)

Do any of you know if it is possible to make the clipboard size larger (what
is the "default" size, anyway?) and if so how to do it? I have a Mac IIcx
with 5M of memory and a 40M hard drive.  I need to translate some rather
large (396K) postscript files into mac-postscript so's the laser-writer
will print it. I was using Word Perfect to do the translation...maybe my
question should be if any of you know of a program to turn plain ole PS
into something the Apple laser-writer will print? Hmmm? Any takers want to
take a shot at this question?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Robin "Lessa" Kinzy                 rrk@adam.byu.edu
CAEDM Computer Systems Manger
College of Engineering
Brigham Young University
(801) 378-4267

jackiw@cs.swarthmore.edu (Nick Jackiw) (03/01/90)

rrk@yoda.byu.edu writes:
> Do any of you know if it is possible to make the clipboard size larger (what
> is the "default" size, anyway?) and if so how to do it? I have a Mac IIcx
> with 5M of memory and a 40M hard drive.  I need to translate some rather
> large (396K) postscript files into mac-postscript so's the laser-writer
> will print it. I was using Word Perfect to do the translation...maybe my
> question should be if any of you know of a program to turn plain ole PS
> into something the Apple laser-writer will print? Hmmm? Any takers want to
> take a shot at this question?

There a couple of ways. The easiest is to use some application, like Cricket
Draw, or ReadySetGo, that allows you to send raw postscript to the printer.

The way for people without access to these applications is to use the
"Postscript Escape" font.  Use ResEdit to open the LaserWriter file in
your system folder and then open STR resource #-8188. In my version,
this STR is set to "Postscript Escape", though the name may vary depending
on what System and Laserwriter you're using.

This string identifies the name of a font in which text sent to the LaserWriter
will be interpreted as postscript, not as text.  All you have to do know is
figure out how to use your favorite word processor to set the text to this
font (which doesn't currently appear in your Font list, presumably). Two
ways I can think of off the top of my head:

o Use ResEdit to change the name of any one of your currently installed fonts
to "Postscript Escape."  Set the document to that font in Word Perfect. Print
it. Use Resedit to set the font name back to what it was before.

o Or, probably better, use ResEdit to change LaserWriter's STR#-8188 to some
font you already have, say "Monaco." Make sure it's spelled exactly the
same way it appears in your font menus; case may or may not be important.
Close LaserWriter, saving changes, and reboot your system to insure that
the driver sees the changes you've made.  Enter WordPerfect, open your
document, set it all to monaco, and print.  When done, change STR#-8188 back
to Postscript Escape so that when you want to print something in monaco in
the future, the LaserWriter doesn't try to interpret it as raw postscript.

-Nick

--
+-------------------+-jackiw@cs.swarthmore.edu / !rutgers!bpa!swatsun!jackiw-+
|  nicholas jackiw  | jackiw%campus.swarthmore.edu@swarthmr.bitnet           |