[comp.sys.mac] Clearing up Solarian misconceptions

s20bbn@gandalf.Berkeley.EDU (Andrei Cogan) (02/27/90)

	To all of those people out there with comments/problems with Solarian,
I will attempt to clear some of them up. I know these because I am Ben's
fourth (unofficial) roommate here at Berzerkeley, so all of you that will
call me uninformed, go away 8-). So, here goes:

	o  To those of you that are having problems with Solarian not working
	   on a IIci, look for the improved version 1.0.1. The reason the
	   first one didn't work was because of the physical differences
	   between the standard Mac video card (used in the II/x/cx) and
	   the built-in graphics card in the IIci. The problem has been fixed
	   in version 1.0.1. It should run on all Mac II and up machines now.

	o  To those of you who are confronted with the problems of not having
	   your high scores recorded, possible problems include:
	   -->  Your disk is locked !!!!!!!!
	   -->  Starting off at any level other than the first automatically
		invalidates recording the score.
	   -->  Hitting Caps Lock with Tab in conjunction to play the game
		in Pause mode obviously invalidates the score (Do you think
		were so stupid as to allow you to cheat in this manner?)
		Note: Caps Lock alone should not do this, but don't quote me...
	   -->  If you are using AppleShare or any other file-sharing system,
		it is possible that your score may not be recorded. It is even
		possible that you may not be able to register the game.

	o  Many people have asked why the sounds in Solarian can't be extracted
	   and used in SoundEdit, SoundMaster, etc.  They are in a modified
	   format which is not supported.  Sorry, but that's how it goes.  It
	   isn't for copy-protection or anything, it was just easier than
	   using Apple's format.  Find a developer who knows how to use ResEdit
	   well and knows the Sound Manager, and get him/her to convert the
	   sounds for you.

	o  There are two known bugs:
	   -->  Keyboards other than the standard US extended AppleTalk
		DeskTop Bus keyboard may not work correctly. In particular,
		you may not be able to snip the scissors when using a
		non-extended keyboard.
	   -->  When quitting from the game in MultiFinder, Solarian doesn't
		correctly update the desktop, causing the screen to be a
		most beautiful (heinous...?) colour of Midnight Blacke. This
		is not dangerous in any way (i.e. it does not munch any files,
		cause any damage or crashes, etc.). You can restore the screen
		by using Switcheroo, Monitor CDEV, any screen saver worth its
		salt, etc.
	   These bugs will be fixed in version 1.0.2., which will be posted
	   fairly soon. If you don't want to wait for this, either get yourself
	   a new keyboard 8-) or send Ben a SASE and a blank disk (HD or 800k.
	   which one is irrelevant) to:

		Stick Software
		c/o Ben Haller
		32 Deerhaven Dr.
		Ithaca, NY 14850
		email: deadman@garnet.Berkeley.edu

	Happy Playing!

	P.S. Let's not clutter up the net with useless bits of trivia like your
	   "high" scores. It's not fair to other net users and people looking
	   for legitimate information about Solarian or any other bits of info.
	   And besides, three people have already solved it and million+ point
	   games are easily possible. So there.
	   (Disclaimer - my high score is only 650,000 points near level 14/15
		- Andrei 8-7)

morris@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (02/28/90)

Where can I find version 1.0.1 of solarian?  I can only find the old version.

Thanks.

saaf@joker.optics.rochester.edu (Lennart Saaf) (03/01/90)

In article <34532@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> s20bbn@gandalf.Berkeley.EDU (Andrei Cogan) writes:
>   o  Many people have asked why the sounds in Solarian can't be extracted
>      and used in SoundEdit, SoundMaster, etc.  They are in a modified
>      format which is not supported.  Sorry, but that's how it goes.
They are snd resources of the type used in Hypercard.  If you paste
them into a stack with ResEdit and rename them you can play them.
There are a couple I have never heard in the course of a game.

| Len Saaf, The Institute of Optics, Univ. of Rochester, Rochester, NY |
| Internet: saaf@joker.optics.rochester.edu        Bitnet: SAAF@UOROPT |

george@swbatl.UUCP (6544) (03/01/90)

In article <SAAF.90Feb28121318@joker.optics.rochester.edu> saaf@joker.optics.rochester.edu (Lennart Saaf) writes:
>In article <34532@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> s20bbn@gandalf.Berkeley.EDU (Andrei Cogan) writes:
>>   o  Many people have asked why the sounds in Solarian can't be extracted
>>      and used in SoundEdit, SoundMaster, etc.  They are in a modified
>>      format which is not supported.  Sorry, but that's how it goes.
>They are snd resources of the type used in Hypercard.  If you paste
>them into a stack with ResEdit and rename them you can play them.
>There are a couple I have never heard in the course of a game.

I didn't find the use of Hypercard necessary.  I just renamed the
snd resources with ResEdit and then they worked fine.
(As was suggested by someone earlier).  I did have to go
through a slight gyration to get them into the snd format for the
system (I used SoundEdit, though other ways are possible).  I find
that the "GAME OVER" sound makes a nice system beep.

Disclamier: Make a back-up copy of Solarian II before you mess with
            ResEdit.  I'm not to blame if you screw it up!

--
   /   George D. Nincehelser           \  uunet!swbatl!george       \
  / /   Southwestern Bell Telephone     \  Phone: (314) 235-6544     \