[comp.sys.mac] Desktop Manager

dce@Solbourne.COM (David Elliott) (04/24/89)

In article <2201@csd4.milw.wisc.edu> hammen@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Robert J. Hammen) writes:
>I posted the Desktop Manager fix to the archives at sumex-aim.stanford.edu. I
>also mailed it off to the moderator of comp.binaries.mac, but never saw it
>posted. It's a simple little application that patches one of the Finder's CODE
>resources so that it will close the Desktop DB and Desktop DF files when you
>drag a hard disk to the trash. I'm not exactly sure where the desktop manager
>fix is on sumex, but if you look in /info-mac/help/all-files.txt it should
>show you where. I have been using the Desktop Manager for over a year, on

I have a recent copy of the Desktop Manager, and have installed the
above fix, but I gave up on using DM because it didn't work invisibly.

When I installed it, the icons for the Hypercard stacks and SmartComm
configurations I had on my desktop were just the standard "unknown
file" icons.  It seemed like if I had a window open with the application
in it I was fine.

Obviously, I was doing something wrong, and I'm sure someone out
there can tell me what it was.

(On the good side, the fact that this solution didn't work forced me
to clean up my disk, which makes backups and desktop file updates
go faster.)

--
David Elliott		dce@Solbourne.COM
			...!{boulder,nbires,sun}!stan!dce

jnh@ecemwl.ncsu.edu (Joseph N. Hall) (07/29/89)

Um, I guess I just tuned out during the discussion of the Desktop Manager
a few months ago.  What exactly is it and what does it do?  Can it speed the
process of booting a non-networked machine ... ?

v   v sssss|| joseph hall                      || 201-1D Hampton Lee Court
 v v s   s || jnh@ece-csc.ncsu.edu (Internet)  || Cary, NC  27511
  v   sss  || the opinions expressed herein are not necessarily those of my
-----------|| employer, north carolina state university . . . . . . . . . . .

macman@wpi.wpi.edu (Christopher Silverberg) (03/01/90)

Sorry to post stupid questions, but here it is:

What is Desktop Manager and what does it do?

== Chris Silverberg, WPI Box 719 ========= BBS Sysop: Main Street U.S.A. =====
== USENET: macman@wpi.wpi.edu ============ 2400 baud - (508) 832-7725 ========
== BITNET: macman@wpi.bitnet ============= Fido: 322/575 - Second Sight BBS ==
== GEnie:  C.Silverberg ================== America Online: Silverberg ========