[comp.sys.mac] Pagemaker 4.0 Features missing

alex@grian.cps.altadena.ca.us (Alex Pournelle) (02/23/90)

You left out the one most needed, most easily added--multiple documents
open.  I, too, cannot believe this is NOT in 4.0.

Hmm, mebbe it's time to switch, before the stampede...

	Alex

briand@tekig5.PEN.TEK.COM (Brian D Diehm) (02/24/90)

>Hmm, mebbe it's time to switch, before the stampede...

I too am pretty disappointed about what is NOT in PageMaker 4. But that's
trivial compared to the outrage I feel over their price tag.

For $150 UPGRADE, they better damn well have a LOT of standard features that
everybody else has by now. Or, they better not have the chutzpah to charge
that price for the little they are giving us now.

Or are they giving us so little now so they can "respond to market pressure"
later and charge yet another $150? It's sad when up-and-coming companies turn
into industry giants.

--
-Brian Diehm
Tektronix, Inc.                (503) 627-3437         briand@tekig5.PEN.TEK.COM

jimvons@ashtate (Jim von Schmacht) (02/27/90)

In article <1990Feb23.000751.5210@grian.cps.altadena.ca.us> alex@grian.cps.altadena.ca.us (Alex Pournelle) writes:
>You left out the one most needed, most easily added--multiple documents
>open.  I, too, cannot believe this is NOT in 4.0.

When was the last time YOU programmed memory intensive applications?  YOu obviously have a somewhat simplistic view of problems faced by Mac programmers...

--
Jim von Schmacht    Senior Member, Project Test Staff    Ashton Tate Corporation
Disclaimer: Standard Issue

baumgart@esquire.dpw.com (Steve Baumgarten) (03/01/90)

In article <825@ashton.UUCP>, jimvons@ashtate (Jim von Schmacht) writes:
>In article <1990Feb23.000751.5210@grian.cps.altadena.ca.us> alex@grian.cps.altadena.ca.us (Alex Pournelle) writes:
>>You left out the one most needed, most easily added--multiple documents
>>open.  I, too, cannot believe this is NOT in 4.0.
>
>When was the last time YOU programmed memory intensive applications?
>You obviously have a somewhat simplistic view of problems faced by
>Mac programmers...
>
>--
>Jim von Schmacht  Senior Member, Project Test Staff   Ashton Tate Corporation

Sad to hear this coming from a software professional (or at least from
a senior member of Ashton Tate's Project Test Staff).

What does allowing multiple documents to be open have to do with
memory-intensive applications?  PageMaker isn't PixelPaint, you know.
And how did LetraSet manage to add multiple document/multiple
window support to ReadySetGo and DesignStudio?

In fact, it's hard to think of *any* Mac applications, other than
PageMaker and the original MacWrite that don't allow you to work on
multiple documents at once.

Hell, even the original MacDraw allowed it -- and in 128K!  If that
isn't "memory-intensive", I don't know what is.

Wait, I *do* know.  Your very own FullWrite!  The application that
practically defines the term "memory-intensive".  And yet it somehow
manages to support multiple documents.

Alex was right; Aldus should have added multiple document support long
ago.  It's a shame they've spent so much time on frills when their
program has been missing one of the basic parts of a good user
interface for so long.

--
   Steve Baumgarten             | "New York... when civilization falls apart,
   Davis Polk & Wardwell        |  remember, we were way ahead of you."