[comp.sys.mac] resetting bundle bits

jay@ut-emx.UUCP (Jay Boisseau) (02/09/90)

A short while ago (~2 days) I posted an article in which I described a
problem I am experiencing concerning the icons of my inits.  Basically,
the icons are there during startup, but once the desktop has appeared,
SOME of the icons are replaced by the generic, blank-page icon (the others,
like GateKeeper, syill look fine when I open my system folder).

Some people e-mailed responses about rebuilding the desktop--didn't work.
Others told me to "reset the bundle bits, then rebuild the desktop." OK,
but my question is"

How do you reset the bundle bits?

I have used ResEdit VERY little, and have not used any othr disk tools.
Can someone describe the procedure to me SIMPLY, or refer me to a good
source?  Thanks!

Jay Boisseau
jay@emx.utexas.edu

mxmora@unix.SRI.COM (Matt Mora) (02/10/90)

In article <24290@ut-emx.UUCP> jay@ut-emx.UUCP (Jay Boisseau) writes:

>Some people e-mailed responses about rebuilding the desktop--didn't work.
>Others told me to "reset the bundle bits, then rebuild the desktop." OK,
>but my question is"
>
>How do you reset the bundle bits?

I think there is another bit you have to UNset.It is the Inited (sp?)
bit. This tells the finder that it already looked at the Icon I think.

In Resedit Select the file.
Do a "Get info" from the file menu.
A Dialog box will come up with a series of Check boxes.
Make sure that the "Bundle" box is checked and the "Inited" is
unchecked. Close the window and save the changes.

>Jay Boisseau
>jay@emx.utexas.edu

Matthew Mora
SRI International                       mxmora@unix.sri.com

wiseman@tellab5.TELLABS.COM (Jeff Wiseman) (02/13/90)

In article <24290@ut-emx.UUCP> jay@ut-emx.UUCP (Jay Boisseau) writes:
>How do you reset the bundle bits?
>
>I have used ResEdit VERY little, and have not used any othr disk tools.
Just do a (ResEdit) get info on the file. the bits are there.

However, it is easier if you can track down a copy of "Bundaid". I think that
it may solve your problem.

--
Jeff Wiseman:	....uunet!tellab5!wiseman OR wiseman@TELLABS.COM

dlugose@uncecs.edu (Dan Dlugose) (02/15/90)

I tried BundAid the other day, and it reset the bundle bit on
Backgrounder.  Has anyone noticed any other problem with Bundaid, or
is this not a problem.

Dan Dlugose
UNC Educational Computing Service

RWERMAN@vms.huji.ac.il (03/01/90)

From: jay@ut-emx.UUCP (Jay Boisseau)
Subject: resetting bundle bits

How do you reset the bundle bits?

Jay, there is a useful program at sumex called Bund Aid,
that does the job efficiently and without thought on your
part.  Download it, UnStuff it and enjoy.

__Bob Werman
rwerman@hujivms
Jerusalem