[comp.sys.mac] Need Help Reading MacWrite Docs With Word 4.0

george@swbatl.UUCP (6544) (03/01/90)

I like to print out the docs that are usually included with software
found here one the net, but I can't seem to print them in the format
the author intended using Word 4.0.

It seems everyone uses MacWrite format most of the time, but I don't
have it.  No problem!  (or so I thought)  I'll just open them up with
Word 4.0.  OK, but the margins and page breaks are messed up.  I don't
think the footers are quite right, either.  Fonts might be messed up
to.  I've tried messing with the above items, but I can't seem to get
it right.

Am I doing something fundamentally wrong?  My Word manual doesn't seem
to be of much help since the index only shows an entry on saving
MacWrite documents.

I guess the simple solution would be to get a copy of MacWrite, but is
it still available?  Are there any other good solutions?

Thanks!

--
   /   George D. Nincehelser           \  uunet!swbatl!george       \
  / /   Southwestern Bell Telephone     \  Phone: (314) 235-6544     \

esf00@uts.amdahl.com (Elliott S. Frank) (03/01/90)

In article <1203@swbatl.UUCP> george@swbatl.UUCP (6544) writes:
>                   the margins and page breaks are messed up.  I don't
>think the footers are quite right, either.  Fonts might be messed up
>to.  I've tried messing with the above items, but I can't seem to get
>it right.
>
>Am I doing something fundamentally wrong?  My Word manual doesn't seem
>to be of much help since the index only shows an entry on saving
>MacWrite documents.

Mumble.

I've hit the same problems -- mostly in attempting to translate the
Macintosh Technical Notes to Word printable.  I had a chat with a tech
rep from Microsoft about the issue back when Word 3.02 was current.  In
summary --

      o character handling is just *slightly* different in Word than in
	anything else. Use of clover-I in Word as an way to see what your
	page looks like as you twiddle is my recommendation.

      o paragraphs that overflow the right margin are wrapped in Word,
	but not in MW -- solution: go in and move the right margin on
	the offending paragraph out to the edge of the page.

      o Word uses font numbers, not names.  If you've changed the numbers
	with FontHarmony or manual twiddling, Word just plain will not
	like you. Flame Microsoft .... :-)

      o Automatic page numbers in places other than the right edge of the
	footer line are not specifieable in the MW interchange format --
	move it yourself to the proper spot.

In summary, it's not hard, but it's a bother.  I've probably wasted more
hours fixing stuff so that Word will format it nicely than a copy of MW
(or even MW II) would have cost me, but I persist.

If you really want a set of laser-printed Macintosh Technical Notes that
look the way the crew at Apple intended, and you don't want to spring for
MacWrite, order them from APDA.  Slower than the net, but no formatting
problems. :-)
--
Elliott Frank      ...!{hplabs,ames,sun}!amdahl!esf00     (408) 746-6384
               or ....!{bnrmtv,drivax,hoptoad}!amdahl!esf00

[the above opinions are strictly mine, if anyone's.]
[the above signature may or may not be repeated, depending upon some
inscrutable property of the mailer-of-the-week.]

sobiloff@thor.acc.stolaf.edu (Chrome Cboy) (03/01/90)

You're not alone and the problem is worse than you thought... :-)

I've had the same problems, especially with the Technical Notes from Apple.
I've tried MacWrite 4.?, Word 3.02 and 4, WriteNow 2.0, and MacWrite II, all
with varying degrees of failure. WriteNow and MacWrite 4 seem to be tied for
first. The closed I've been able to come is to use WN or MacW and print them
out on a LaserWriter IINTX with the page setup set for 4% reduction and
larger margins. This comes close, but the pages are still funky--it looks
like I should be able to get a few more lines per page.

What's the deal???
			-CCb

In article <e69U02SB8cjO01@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com> esf00@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com (Elliott S. Frank) writes:
>In article <1203@swbatl.UUCP> george@swbatl.UUCP (6544) writes:
>>                   the margins and page breaks are messed up.  I don't
>>think the footers are quite right, either.  Fonts might be messed up
>>to.  I've tried messing with the above items, but I can't seem to get
>>it right.
>>
>>Am I doing something fundamentally wrong?  My Word manual doesn't seem
>>to be of much help since the index only shows an entry on saving
>>MacWrite documents.
>>
>Mumble.
>
>I've hit the same problems -- mostly in attempting to translate the
>Macintosh Technical Notes to Word printable.  I had a chat with a tech
>rep from Microsoft about the issue back when Word 3.02 was current.  In

Wouldn't it be nice if the word processing program publishers would
put out at little or no charge a "lobotomized" version of their
program that would only print or view their product's documents?

Might this action increase sales by fostering goodwill amongst
potential customers?

Could Claris distribute a free MacWrite document viewer/printer
ala Public Folder?

--

geoff@pmafire.UUCP (Geoff Allen) (03/01/90)

george@swbatl.UUCP (George Nincehelser 5-6544) writes:

>Wouldn't it be nice if the word processing program publishers would
>put out at little or no charge a "lobotomized" version of their
>program that would only print or view their product's documents?

Does anyone know the ethics (or lack thereof) of distributing old copies
of MacWrite (e.g. 4.x or 5.x) to be used for such a prupose? Since it's
no longer produced, it seems like Claris wouldn't lose anything in the
deal.  Could an old copy of MacWrite be leagaly (and ethically)
distributed via avenues such as the net, CIS, GEnie, etc.?

Just wondering...

--
Geoff Allen                  \  I don't want to yield to fashion and
{uunet|bigtex}!pmafire!geoff  \  make the Macintosh as ugly as OS/2

hpoppe@bierstadt.scd.ucar.edu (Herb Poppe) (03/01/90)

In article <1205@swbatl.UUCP> george@swbatl.UUCP (George Nincehelser 5-6544) writes:

>Wouldn't it be nice if the word processing program publishers would
>put out at little or no charge a "lobotomized" version of their
>program that would only print or view their product's documents?
>
>Might this action increase sales by fostering goodwill amongst
>potential customers?
>
>Could Claris distribute a free MacWrite document viewer/printer
>ala Public Folder?

Claris is trying to promote "its" XTND (is that what it's called?)
technology, a laudable attempt to standardize the way different
applications import data from other applications
(i.e., Word 4.0 documents into MacWrite II). (I say "its" because,
if I remember correctly, this concept is based (or is compatible with)
the translators from DataViz (as is Apple File Exchange).)

Claris is trying to get other developers to adopt this approach. They
might try the "carrot" approach by writing such a document viewer/printer
and make it available for free. The "gotcha" would be that they
would only include the translators for those formats whose developers
had bought into the the technology. Authors of documents trying to reach
a wide audience would naturally select a word processor (draw program, etc.)
that they knew would produce a format that could be read by the free viewer.
This would but pressure on developers to "join the club". It would
also make a great demonstration of the technology: it would answer the
"The concept looks good, but does it work" type question.

I think Public Folder is a great PR tool. Here is another chance
for Claris to do themselves one better.

--
Herb Poppe      NCAR                         INTERNET: hpoppe@ncar.ucar.edu
(303) 497-1296  P.O. Box 3000                   CSNET: hpoppe@ncar.CSNET