[comp.sys.mac] Launch 2.0 CRASH ??

xxiaoye@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Xiaoxia Ye) (03/01/90)

Launch 2.0 just appeared in comp.sys.mac.digest.  I merrily downloaded and gave
it a try.

However, everytime I started it up, it would freeze my mouse right after
displaying its window.  I have to use an fkey called "dudek's defrost" to
get the mouse active again.  Every time!  Does anyone know what the problem
might be.

Active inits are : init-cdev, suitcase II, pyro, blitznotify (in-house software)
boomerang, Rear Window, backdrop, Desktop Manager init.

Here is my system configuration :

MacEnvy           System Environment Report (2.0)

Item              Type/Status
----------------  --------------------------------------------------------
Machine:          Macintosh Plus

Memory:           4096K  (4 megabytes)
Processor:        Motorola 68000
Coprocessor:      Not installed
PMMU Chip:        Not installed
Sound Chip:       ASC not present
Graphics:         Standard QuickDraw (B/W)
Keyboard:         Mac Plus or equivalent (U.S.)
ADB Devices:      ADB not present
SCSI Chip:        NCR 5380 installed
Clock Chip:       New clock chip (256 bytes)
ROM Version:      128K (Version 117), rev. C
ROM \C3\\B7\ Info:      $4D1F8172 (Loud Harmonica)

System:           Version 6.0.4  (324K)
Finder:           Version 6.1.4
MultiFinderTM:     Version 6.1b9  (active)
Localized For:    U.S./Canada (0)
File System:      HFS (Hierarchical)
Debugger:         Installed at $0000C73E
RAM Cache:        256K, cache enabled
Current App:      "DA Handler"
User Name:        "Xiaoxia Ye"
Printing To:      LaserWriter (5.2)
AppleTalkTM:       Version 19 is loaded.
File Server:      No remote volumes found

SCSI Devices:     - 1 - - - - - 7
SCSI Drives:      1 SCSI drive @ ID# 1
Sony Drives:      1=800K, 2=None, 3=None
Controller:       IWM chip (GCR only)
Other Drives:     None
Boot Volume:      Xiao  (31 MB)
Volume Use:       22372K used, 9050K free
Catalog Info:     754 files, 106 folders
Catalog Size:     249K + 249K extents
Last Backup:      Never backed up
Boot Blocks:      Version 23
Startup App:      "MultiFinder"

Monitors:         1 screen device
Main Screen:      512 x 342 pixels
 Resolution:      72 x 72 pixels per inch
 Pixel Depth:     1 bit/pixel (monochrome)
Alt Screen:       N/A
 Resolution:      N/A
 Pixel Depth:     N/A
NuBus Cards:      Slot Manager not present

PRAM Status:      Last write valid ($A8)
Modem Port:       9600 baud, D=8, S=2, N *
Printer Port:     1200 baud, D=8, S=2, N
Boot Drive:       Internal (drive #1)
Default Font:     Geneva
Speaker Vol:      Current setting = 5
Mouse Setup:      Dbl-Click = 20, Scaling: On
Key Repeat:       Rate = 4, Threshold = 24
Blink Rates:      Caret = 32, Menu: 2 times
Latitude:         40\A1\ 43' 0" North
Longitude:        74\A1\ 1' 0" West
Time Zone:        5 hr, 0 min west of GMT

Thanks in advance.

Xiaoxia  Ye          INTERNET/BITNET/UUCP: xxiaoye@eleazar.dartmouth.edu
Dartmouth College    For more info: finger xxiaoye@eleazar.dartmouth.edu

francis@giza.cis.ohio-state.edu (RD Francis) (03/01/90)

In article <19792@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> xxiaoye@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Xiaoxia Ye) writes:
>Launch 2.0 just appeared in comp.sys.mac.digest. I merrily downloaded and gave
>it a try.
>However, everytime I started it up, it would freeze my mouse right after
>displaying its window....

I had the same problem; however, I was doing something that I didn't
expect to work, and so I knew what to do to fix it.  I tried to use my
old _L_info file with 2.0, by renaming it _L_data.  As I wasn't
surprised to discover, this didn't work.  I delete my _L_data (old
_L_info) file, and let Launch generate its own _L_data file.  Since
then, I've had no problems.

The docs don't make it clear that your _L_info file is incompatible
with Launch 2.0, even if you resolve the name problem.  I must admit,
I thought that was fairly intuitive, but I tried it because it wasn't
explicitly stated.  While I suspect that this won't solve your
problem, it may save someone else a little bit of time, hence my
posting it.

--
R David Francis   francis@cis.ohio-state.edu

xxiaoye@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Xiaoxia Ye) (03/02/90)

In article <77756@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> RD Francis <francis@cis.ohio-state.edu> writes:
>In article <19792@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> xxiaoye@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Xiaoxia Ye) writes:
>>Launch 2.0 just appeared in comp.sys.mac.digest. I merrily downloaded and gave
>>it a try.
>>However, everytime I started it up, it would freeze my mouse right after
>>displaying its window....
>

>The docs don't make it clear that your _L_info file is incompatible
>with Launch 2.0, even if you resolve the name problem.  I must admit,

To clear up the confusion:  I didn't rename the old _L_info file,  I let it
create a new one, after creating it, and displaying its window, it froze.

I think that the problem occurs everytime its window is displayed.  Once, I
"defrosted" the mouse using the "dedek's defrost" fkey, then I installed all the
apps and das, etc.  I quit and restart the application.  Well, Launch reads the
new _L_info file alright, and right after displaying its window, it froze.