[comp.sys.mac] Apple Diagnostic tools

watermaa@boulder.Colorado.EDU (WATERMAN ALEXANDER S) (02/27/90)

I've been looking around for some kind of Mac Diagnostic software like the
Apple repair centers use.  I forgot the name of it.

1) Is it legal for me to have it
2) Is it free, shareware, or can I purchase it
3) Where can I get it

Thanks for the help!

Kent Leung (c/o A. Waterman)
watermaa@boulder.colorado.edu (Internet)
or (303) 939-9400

topgun@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu (Chandra Bajpai) (02/28/90)

In article <17465@boulder.Colorado.EDU> watermaa@tramp.Colorado.EDU (WATERMAN ALEXANDER S) writes:
>I've been looking around for some kind of Mac Diagnostic software like the
>Apple repair centers use.  I forgot the name of it.

I believe that such a program was call MacTest.  If some one has a copy
of this program I too would be interested in a copy.

Thanks,

Chandra Bajpai
topgun@brandeis.cs.edu

consp22@bingsune.cc.binghamton.edu (Darren Handler) (02/28/90)

In article <17465@boulder.Colorado.EDU>, watermaa@boulder.Colorado.EDU
(WATERMAN ALEXANDER S) writes:

> I've been looking around for some kind of Mac Diagnostic software like the
> Apple repair centers use.  I forgot the name of it.
>
> 1) Is it legal for me to have it
> 2) Is it free, shareware, or can I purchase it
> 3) Where can I get it

Well, Apple doesn't allow us (Service centers) to distribute their diags.
(to the best of my knowledge)  There are some public domain memory checkers,
however.

|  Consp22@Bingsuns.pod.binghamton.edu  |  SUNY-B Computer Consultants -      |
|  Consp22@Bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu   |  Trying to keep the world safe from |
|---------------------------------------|  the SUNY-B Computer users.         |
|  System Consultant - World Computers  |-------------------------------------|
|  Computer Cons. - SUNY Binghamton     |     Darren `Mac Hack' Handler       |
I don't know if I am going to heaven or hell, I just hope God grades on a curve

lnk10562@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (03/02/90)

I had a copy once of Apple CAT (computer-aided testing or something like
that), that a service tech gave to me to look at because I was curious.
It's a well designed program, the only thing is that you need a _lot_ of
these special cables (have a SCSI loopback cable lying around?), and for most
of the actual tests you need a _second_ Macintosh to act as the actual testing
device, the sick Mac is hooked up by umbilical cords and diagnosed.  So
having a copy of the program really isn't useful unless you're an Apple
tech.  I have seen some mention of some new diagnostic programs that will be
avaiable soon (check some recent issues of MacWeek).  There is also a book
from SAMS publishing I think that describes the circuitry and some internals
of the compact Mac series.  Could be good reading...

Louis Koziarz (koziarz@uiuc.edu)
Free Chevy Blazer with enrollment!