[comp.sys.mac] Mac IIxi

torch@attctc.Dallas.TX.US (Jay Finger) (02/20/90)

I friend of mine, who works at one of a major oil corporation's research labs,
(I'm not naming names here), told me today that he approved a requisition for
a Mac IIxi.  He's not exactly a computer type, so he didn't pay attention to
things like amount of RAM or the size of the hard drive (but there was a drive,
I'm guessing with an Apple nameplate).  The price on the thing was $12,000.
That probably includes the company's standard 24% discount (off of list).

How do I know that the 'x' wasn't a typo?  A note scribbled on the bottom
of the requisition said "this machine won't be announced for another month
yet, so call back then to verify the price".

Can anybody tell me what this machine might be (besides the obvious (vague)
guess that it's a faster IIci)?

Jay Finger,
{ames,mit-eddie}!attctc!torch
ames!torch@attctc

kanefsky@umn-cs.cs.umn.edu (Steve Kanefsky) (02/20/90)

In article <11507@attctc.Dallas.TX.US> torch@attctc.Dallas.TX.US (Jay Finger) writes:
>I friend of mine, who works at one of a major oil corporation's research labs,
>(I'm not naming names here), told me today that he approved a requisition for
>a Mac IIxi.  He's not exactly a computer type, so he didn't pay attention to
>things like amount of RAM or the size of the hard drive (but there was a drive,
>I'm guessing with an Apple nameplate).  The price on the thing was $12,000.
>That probably includes the company's standard 24% discount (off of list).
>
>How do I know that the 'x' wasn't a typo?  A note scribbled on the bottom
>of the requisition said "this machine won't be announced for another month
>yet, so call back then to verify the price".
>
>Can anybody tell me what this machine might be (besides the obvious (vague)
>guess that it's a faster IIci)?

The IIxi has already been front-page news in MacWeek.  It is essentially
a beefed-up IIx, just as the IIci is a beefed-up IIcx.  It will be a
six-slot, 33 or 40 mhz 68030-based machine, and there should be an
upgrade path from the IIx.

In addition, other features rumored to be included in the IIxi include:

o  A processor direct slot, only slightly incompatable with that of the SE/30
o  A direct memory access SCSI chip
o  A RAM cache slot

and...

o  NO on-board video

[followups to comp.sys.mac.hardware]

--
Steve Kanefsky
kanefsky@umn-cs.cs.umn.edu

Murdok.The.Merciless@f54.n382.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Murdok The Merciless) (02/23/90)

the xi will probably have 6 nubus slots and maybe scsi ][ compatable
but this is just a guess

--
Murdok The Merciless via cmhGate - Net 226 fido<=>uucp gateway Col, OH
UUCP: ...!osu-cis!n8emr!cmhgate!382!54!Murdok.The.Merciless

logic@wet.UUCP (Henry Kwan) (02/27/90)

In article <11507@attctc.Dallas.TX.US> torch@attctc.Dallas.TX.US (Jay Finger) writes:
>I friend of mine, who works at one of a major oil corporation's research labs,
>(I'm not naming names here), told me today that he approved a requisition for
>a Mac IIxi.  He's not exactly a computer type, so he didn't pay attention to
>things like amount of RAM or the size of the hard drive (but there was a drive,
>I'm guessing with an Apple nameplate).  The price on the thing was $12,000.
>That probably includes the company's standard 24% discount (off of list).
>
>How do I know that the 'x' wasn't a typo?  A note scribbled on the bottom
>of the requisition said "this machine won't be announced for another month
>yet, so call back then to verify the price".
>
>Can anybody tell me what this machine might be (besides the obvious (vague)
>guess that it's a faster IIci)?

MacWeek just announced in this week's issue that the F-19 will be named the
IIfx instead of the IIxi.  Mac The Knife writes that several HyperCard
stacks and Power Point presentations from Apple uses the IIfx name so that
it seems that the name IIfx is legit.

Specifications include a 40 Mhz 68030 along with a 32K SRAM cache.  Also to
be announced is a video coprocessor from Apple which utilizes an 30 Mhz
AMD29000.  The IIfx is expect to be 100% faster than a IIci and the video
coprocessor is suppose to be 5-30 times faster than regular video.

Another plus is DMA SCSI on the IIfx.  Higher end drives (like our ultra-fast
Hammers :-) should really scream on this puppy.

Apple is expected to announce this beast on March 19, 1990.  Better get rid
of all those old passe IIci's now!  :-)

--
Henry Kwan                |  AppleLink: D0690
FWB, Inc.                 |  CompuServe: 71320,1034

aoki@husc8.HARVARD.EDU (Edwin Aoki) (03/02/90)

While we're on the subject of new machines...
I heard that the IIxi (fx, whatever) was going to have a 50MHz chip braked in
software to 33MHz.  Unfortunately, I can't find the source where I got this
information (The November issue of the Harvard Computer Review, with its
NewsBytes source from CompuServe/The Source).

But: From Harvard Computer Review/The Source October 1989..

"The machine has been provisionally called the IIcr series, and as reported,
 will center around a 33MHz 68030 microprocessor....

 ..the IIcr is being readied for a March 1990 roll-out, with volume shipment
 expected during teh second quarter.  The machine will be fast - very fast
 - thanks to the use of a 20MHz NuBus architecture and an 120 pin DMA
 expansion slot...

 Industry sources suggest that, by coupling a RAM-caching unit onto the 120-
 pin DMA bus, the IIcr could be anything up to four times faster than the
 25MHz 68030-based Mac II unveiled alongside the Mac laptop last month (the
 IIci)..."

So perhpas more than one machine is in the works for a massive March rollout?

-Edwin Aoki
(husc8.harvard.edu)

---Disclaimer: blah, blah, blah..
 Oh: special disclaimer: Reprinted with permission (I work with the review)
     opinions not affiliated with anyone but myself