[comp.sys.mac] PIT files

jeremyr@cs.qmw.ac.uk (Jeremy Roussak) (02/28/90)

I've just downloaded a file which, when deBinHexed (wonderful word!) has
produced a file named xx.pit (no, not .sit) with filetype and creator
PIT_ (_=space).  What is this?  What can I do with it?  Help!

Jeremy Roussak

jackiw@cs.swarthmore.edu (Nick Jackiw) (03/01/90)

jeremyr@cs.qmw.ac.uk (Jeremy Roussak) writes:

> I've just downloaded a file which, when deBinHexed (wonderful word!) has
> produced a file named xx.pit (no, not .sit) with filetype and creator
> PIT_ (_=space).  What is this?  What can I do with it?  Help!
>
> Jeremy Roussak

It's a PackIt file, a less popular file-compressor than StuffIt. If you
have StuffIt 1.5.1, you can use the unPack command in the Other menu to
access this.

Please keep non-programming questions out of comp.sys.mac.programmer.

-Nick

--
"'I have seen too often your filthy teeth snap with rage and your august
countenance, covered with the fungus of time, blush like a flaming coal

jeremyr@cs.qmw.ac.uk (Jeremy Roussak) (03/01/90)

Many thanks to everyone who replied to my request for info on PIT
files.  For anyone who doesn't already know (only me, it seems!),
they're PackIt archives, unpackable my StuffIt.

Jeremy Roussak

levin@bbn.com (Joel B Levin) (03/01/90)

In article <1714@sequent.cs.qmw.ac.uk> jeremyr@cs.qmw.ac.uk (Jeremy Roussak) writes:
|I've just downloaded a file which, when deBinHexed (wonderful word!) has
|produced a file named xx.pit (no, not .sit) with filetype and creator
|PIT_ (_=space).  What is this?  What can I do with it?  Help!

You have a Packit file, which was created with Harry Chesley's Packit
III, a precursor of StuffIt.  If you have StuffIt, you can unpack a
PIT file using "Unpack..." under the "Other" menu.

	/JBL
=
Nets: levin@bbn.com  |  "There were sweetheart roses on Yancey Wilmerding's
 or {...}!bbn!levin  |  bureau that morning.  Wide-eyed and distraught, she
POTS: (617)873-3463  |  stood with all her faculties rooted to the floor."

Leo.Bores@f14.n114.z1.fidonet.org (Leo Bores) (03/02/90)

In an article of <28 Feb 90 15:03:24 GMT>, jeremyr@cs.qmw.ac.uk (Jeremy
Roussak) writes:

 JR>I've just downloaded a file which, when deBinHexed (wonderful word!)
 JR>has
 JR>produced a file named xx.pit (no, not .sit) with filetype and creator
 JR>PIT_ (_=space).  What is this?  What can I do with it?  Help!
 JR>
 JR>Jeremy Roussak

You need a shareware program called PACKIT III to unpack (decompress) that
file.  Your sysop can get it for you from EyeNet (114/14) - 1-602-941-3747.

Leo Bores, M.D.

--
Uucp: ...{gatech,ames,rutgers}!ncar!asuvax!stjhmc!14!Leo.Bores
Internet: Leo.Bores@f14.n114.z1.fidonet.org

Leo.Bores@f14.n114.z1.fidonet.org (Leo Bores) (03/02/90)

In an article of <1 Mar 90 01:44:41 GMT>, jackiw@cs.swarthmore.edu (Nick
Jackiw) writes:

 NJ>Please keep non-programming questions out of comp.sys.mac.programmer.

This showed up in the general echo so maybe you have some cross-linking on your
system.

Leo Bores