[comp.sys.mac] nfs for mac?

ric@ace.sri.com (Richard Steinberger) (02/22/90)

I'm not a regular reader of this newsgroup, and I appologize if this is
a widely-known topic.  So . . . .

I am working with some people who would like to find an nfs implementation
for MACs.  I believe the MACs already are attached to a Kinetics box that
lets them connect with Unix and VAXes on our LAN.  Does anyone know of
such a commercial or PD nfs product?  If so, please reply to:

ric@ace.sri.com

regards,

	ric steinberger

Brita_CC_Meng@cup.portal.com (02/28/90)

Ric,
Talk to the folks at Cayman Systems (617/494-1999).  They have
a LocalTalk-to-Ethernet gateway (like Kinetics box) that you
can install AppleShare-to-NFS mapping software in.  The
physical box is called GatorBox; the software that gets downloaded
into the GatorBox is called GatorShare.  GatorShare lets AppleShare
users mount/access NFS volumes over the net, and NFS users mount
AppleShare volumes over the net.  It's AFP-compatible, so the
only software you need (aside from GatorShare) is the AppleShare
client stuff.
Brita

hargrove@harlie.corp.sgi.com (Mark Hargrove) (03/02/90)

In article <27398@cup.portal.com> Brita_CC_Meng@cup.portal.com writes:

   Ric,
   Talk to the folks at Cayman Systems (617/494-1999).  They have
   a LocalTalk-to-Ethernet gateway (like Kinetics box) that you
   can install AppleShare-to-NFS mapping software in.  The
   physical box is called GatorBox; the software that gets downloaded
   into the GatorBox is called GatorShare.  GatorShare lets AppleShare
   users mount/access NFS volumes over the net, and NFS users mount
   AppleShare volumes over the net.  It's AFP-compatible, so the
   only software you need (aside from GatorShare) is the AppleShare
   client stuff.
   Brita

We've been using the Cayman GatorBoxes and GatorShare for many months
now, and I can also say nice things about the product and the company.
One cautionary note: Make sure you test GatorShare with your own NFS
before you buy it.  The NFS "spec" is (as you many know) a little loose.
We had no problems with the GatorBoxes on our 3.1 IRIX operating system
NFS, then saw some write problems when we released the New Improved 3.2
IRIX OS.  The reason: our NFS had changed a little bit, and would no
longer completely play with GatorShare.  Both Cayman's and SGI's NFS are
within spec.  How can this be?  Easy, when specs are loose.  Where both
SGI and Cayman fell down a bit was in both of our failures to remember
a cardinal rule when dealing with loose specs:  "Be generous in what
you accept, and conservative in what you request."

scott@heim.glendale.ca.us (03/02/90)

In article <HARGROVE.90Mar1211603@harlie.corp.sgi.com> hargrove@harlie.corp.sgi.com (Mark Hargrove) writes:
>In article <27398@cup.portal.com> Brita_CC_Meng@cup.portal.com writes:
>
>   Ric,
>   Talk to the folks at Cayman Systems (617/494-1999).  They have
>   a LocalTalk-to-Ethernet gateway (like Kinetics box) that you
>   can install AppleShare-to-NFS mapping software in.  The

... Hey guys - have you heard about System 7.0 and A/UX 2.0?
It seems that since you can run System 7.0 (which supports background
Appleshare) under A/UX (which can run NFS) that this becomes a natural
gateway!

Am I missing something here?
--
Scott Watson - "Inane little message goes here"
    uucp: {rutgers,ames}!elroy!grian!heim!scott