[comp.sys.mac] too many windows open

bh11+@andrew.cmu.edu (Braddock John Hathaway) (02/19/90)

I have a question:  What is the limiting factor that determines just
how many windows you can have open at one time?  Why does the computer
give the error "too many windows open" (aside from the obvious "you've
just tried to open too many windows")?

Thanks,

Brad

truesdel@ics.uci.edu (Scott Truesdell) (02/19/90)

bh11+@andrew.cmu.edu (Braddock John Hathaway) writes:

>I have a question:  What is the limiting factor that determines just
>how many windows you can have open at one time?  Why does the computer
>give the error "too many windows open" (aside from the obvious "you've
>just tried to open too many windows")?

In the Finder's LAYO (Layout) resource there is a field for
Max Number of Windows Open. I think the default is 13. You can
edit this field with ResEdit or Mike OConner's "Layout" application.

If you are running MultiFinder, you may wish to increase the memory
allocation filed in the FInder's "Get Info" box.

  --scott

--
Scott Truesdell

dpaight@weber.ucsd.edu (Dan Paight) (02/19/90)

In article <25DF4BB6.13141@paris.ics.uci.edu> truesdel@ics.uci.edu (Scott Truesdell) writes:

>If you are running MultiFinder, you may wish to increase the memory
>allocation filed in the FInder's "Get Info" box.

What are the benefits of increasing the Finder's memory allocation
under Multifinder?  I've seen this mentioned, but I've never seen
mention of any specific benefits.

sobiloff@agnes.acc.stolaf.edu (Chrome Cboy) (02/19/90)

This message is caused because the Finder has a preset limit on the number of
windows that can be open at the same time.  This is set to 13 normally, but
with Layout 1.9 (the easiest way to do it; ResEdit could do it too) you can
change this preset number.  The caveat is that the higher you set the number
the more memory the Finder needs; in MF you may have to increase the amount
of RAM you give the Finder.  Oh, Layout 1.9 is available via anonymous ftp
from sumex-aim.stanford.edu.
						-CCb

jjw7384@ultb.isc.rit.edu (Jeff Wasilko) (03/03/90)

In article <2230@network.ucsd.edu> dpaight@weber.ucsd.edu (Dan Paight) writes:
>In article <25DF4BB6.13141@paris.ics.uci.edu> truesdel@ics.uci.edu (Scott Truesdell) writes:
>>
>>If you are running MultiFinder, you may wish to increase the memory
>>allocation filed in the FInder's "Get Info" box.
>
>What are the benefits of increasing the Finder's memory allocation
>under Multifinder?  I've seen this mentioned, but I've never seen
>mention of any specific benefits.

Finder is generally alot happier with more memory (i.e., a larger
allocation). With the standard 160k allocation I find that I usually get
erros such as "not enough memory to copy all files. Please copy the
files in a smaller group" or some such message. I also have seen errors
such as "not enough Finder Memory to work with disk Foo" or 'Not enough
memory to open any more windows"

Jeff

--
| RIT VAX/VMS Systems: |     Jeff Wasilko     |     RIT Ultrix Systems:     |
|BITNET: jjw7384@ritvax+----------------------+INET:jjw7384@ultb.isc.rit.edu|
|INTERNET: jjw7384@isc.rit.edu                |'claimer: No one cares.      |