[comp.sys.mac] System 7.0 icons

d83_sven_a@tekno.chalmers.se (SVEN AXELSSON) (02/23/90)

Of course I am not in tpe position to comment on what Apple REALLY
intends to do, but this is what they said in the preliminary developer
notes for Finder 7.0 published in april last year.

In previous versions of the Finder, the only kind of icon that could be
included in a bundle was a standard 32-by-32 two-color icon. In
Finder 7.0, it is also possible to include small and color icons in a
file's bundle. These icons should look like the 'ICN#' resource.
Moreover, any additional icons must have the same resource ID as the
'ICN#' resource. The resource types for these additional icons are as
follows:

o  A 'SICN' resource contains a small (16-by-16-bit) two-color icon
   together with an icon mask.

o  An 'ics4' resource contains the data for a small icon for which there
   are 4 bits of color data. This resource uses the 4-bit system color
   look-up table (CLUT) and the icon mask contained in the 'SICN'
   resource.

o  An 'ics8' resource contains the data for a small icon for which there
   are 8 bits of color data. This resource uses the 8-bit system color
   look-up table (CLUT) and the icon mask contained in the 'SICN'
   resource.

o  An 'icl4' resource contains the data for a large (32-by 32-bit) icon
   for which there are 4 bits of color data. This resource uses the
   4-bit system color look-up table (CLUT) and the icon mask contained
   in the 'ICN#' resource.

o  An 'icl8' resource contains the data for a large (32-by 32-bit) icon
   for which there are 8 bits of color data. This resource uses the
   8-bit system color look-up table (CLUT) and the icon mask contained
   in the 'ICN#' resource.

All of the color icons use one of the standard system color tables to
define the colors. The two main advantages of usinf a standard color
table are reduced resource requirements and reduced color arbitration.

When a color icon is selected, Finder 7.0 displays the icon using a
special CLUT in which each color is darker than the corresponding color
in the standard CLUT. This makes selected color icons look very much
like selected icons in previous versions of the Finder.

So there you are... This will be the way it works in System 7.0 and
developers should design their own color icons to put in their
applications.

+-------------------------+--------------------------------+------------------+
|   Sven Axelsson         |  d83_sven_a@tekno.chalmers.se  |  DISCLAIMER:     |
|   dep:t of Linguistics  |          (^^ best ^^)          |                  |
|   univ. of Gothenburg   |        dlv_sa@hum.gu.se        |  This is not     |
|   SWEDEN                |      usdsa@seguc21.bitnet      |  a disclaimer.   |
+-------------------------+--------------------------------+-------------------

phssra@mathcs.emory.edu (Scott R. Anderson) (03/03/90)

In article <8214@tekno.chalmers.se> d83_sven_a@tekno.chalmers.se (SVEN AXELSSON) writes:
>In previous versions of the Finder, the only kind of icon that could be
>included in a bundle was a standard 32-by-32 two-color icon. In Finder 7.0, it
>is also possible to include small and color icons in a file's bundle....
>
>When a color icon is selected, Finder 7.0 displays the icon using a special
>CLUT in which each color is darker than the corresponding color in the
>standard CLUT. This makes selected color icons look very much like selected
>icons in previous versions of the Finder.

I've already noticed a few applications/inits/cdevs that have a cicn ready and
waiting.  How did I notice?  Because after I unstuffed them, the color icons
appeared on my desktop... once.  After I restarted my Mac, they reverted to the
black-and-white icons.  Does anybody know why this occurs?  I'm running System
6.0.4 on a Mac II.

*
  *      **                  Scott Robert Anderson      gatech!emoryu1!phssra
   *   *    *    **          phssra@unix.cc.emory.edu   phssra@emoryu1.bitnet