[comp.sys.mac] Multifinder Scheduler

macman@wpi.wpi.edu (Christopher Silverberg) (03/02/90)

This summer I would like to do a few things.
  A) Leave my computer on all day and night
  B) Use Copernicus (a point mail system for the mac) nightly
  C) Check AOL for any mail waiting, and post written mail nightly

I have 2.5 megs, and i always use Multifinder. So what i'll need is some sort
of scheduling program that is able to launch Copernicus at a certain time.
Then later on in the night, i need it to quite Copernicus, and launch the
AOL software. Any good suggestions? recommendations? Thanks

== Chris Silverberg, WPI Box 719 ========= BBS Sysop: Main Street U.S.A. =====
== USENET: macman@wpi.wpi.edu ============ 2400 baud - (508) 832-7725 ========
== BITNET: macman@wpi.bitnet ============= Fido: 322/575 - Second Sight BBS ==
== GEnie:  C.Silverberg ================== America Online: Silverberg ========

dce@smsc.sony.com (David Elliott) (03/02/90)

In article <9353@wpi.wpi.edu> macman@wpi.wpi.edu (Christopher Silverberg) writes:
>I have 2.5 megs, and i always use Multifinder. So what i'll need is some sort
>of scheduling program that is able to launch Copernicus at a certain time.
>Then later on in the night, i need it to quite Copernicus, and launch the
>AOL software. Any good suggestions? recommendations? Thanks

QuicKeys from CE software has the ability to do a sequence of things
once each day.  It won't let you do two sequences at different times.

You could write a HyperCard stack to actually start the programs at
the specific time, but you'd need QuicKeys to run a sequence for
each of these programs to automate the entire process.  Also, with
the HyperCard stack, you could use QuicKeys' daily sequence feature to
start the stack (you don't want it running all the time - you don't
have enough memory).

In any event, if your needs are very complicated, QuicKeys may not
be able to handle the job.  I have been working on a project in
which I have to run a series of applications, and all operations
must be completely automated.  QuicKeys does an OK job for many
things, but it balks at others (the initial screen of StuffIt
gives it major problems).

As far as I know, QuicKeys is the only one of the macro packages that
can run a sequence at a specific time of day and when an application
is started.  I currently have QuicKeys, MacroMaker, AutoMac III, and
Tempo II.  If there are others, I'd like to hear about them.  Maybe
Apple is planning to improve MacroMaker to do this kind of thing?

In general, if Copernicus and AOL can't do most of the job themselves,
it's going to be tough.
--
David Elliott
dce@smsc.sony.com | ...!{uunet,mips}!sonyusa!dce

mec@cbnewsj.ATT.COM (michael.e.connick) (03/02/90)

In article <9353@wpi.wpi.edu> macman@wpi.wpi.edu (Christopher Silverberg) writes:
> This summer I would like to do a few things.
>   A) Leave my computer on all day and night
>   B) Use Copernicus (a point mail system for the mac) nightly
>   C) Check AOL for any mail waiting, and post written mail nightly
>
> I have 2.5 megs, and i always use Multifinder. So what i'll need is some sort
> of scheduling program that is able to launch Copernicus at a certain time.
> Then later on in the night, i need it to quite Copernicus, and launch the
> AOL software. Any good suggestions? recommendations? Thanks

Well as I'm sure you already know, getting Copernicus to automatically
launch at a specified time is already a feature of the product. You
just need to select the "Wait for Event" menu item and it will
automatically call your Fidonet Boss system at the time you specified
in the installation.

Adding the AOL program to this event shouldn't be that difficult. The
only hitch is the fact that AOL doesn't support the "Tabby
Event-compatible" program launching mechanism that's used in
Copernicus. So the AOL program won't be able to launch any programs
after itself. You can, however, just put AOL in as the LAST program in
your normal "Call Boss" event. Then after Copernicus is done
communicating with the Boss system, it will launch AOL. The file in
Copernicus that controls which programs are launched during the normal
Boss event is called "Call Boss" and is located in the "Common
Folder". The file contains a single record listing the programs to be
run with a comma delimiting each name from the other. Just make sure
that AOL is in the same folder as the Copernicus programs and include
it as the last program in the record.

BTW, all of this will work whether you're running under Finder or
MultiFinder.

Michael Connick    mec@mtfmi.ATT.COM    201-957-3057
AT&T Bell Labs     MT 3F-113	        (Dept. 79151)

peirce@claris.com (Michael Peirce) (03/03/90)

In article <9353@wpi.wpi.edu> macman@wpi.wpi.edu (Christopher Silverberg) writes:
>This summer I would like to do a few things.
>  A) Leave my computer on all day and night
>  B) Use Copernicus (a point mail system for the mac) nightly
>  C) Check AOL for any mail waiting, and post written mail nightly
>
>I have 2.5 megs, and i always use Multifinder. So what i'll need is some sort
>of scheduling program that is able to launch Copernicus at a certain time.
>Then later on in the night, i need it to quite Copernicus, and launch the
>AOL software. Any good suggestions? recommendations? Thanks

I'd recommend looking at NightLife (or is it now NiteLife?) from Simple
Software.  This lets you setup a elaborate schedule of activities for
your Mac.

You can reach them at (415) 381-2650

 Claris Corp. | Michael R. Peirce

Armadillo@cup.portal.com (Russ Armadillo Coffman) (03/04/90)

 macman@wpi.wpi.edu (Christopher Silverberg) writes:

  C) Check AOL for any mail waiting, and post written mail nightly

If you are referring to America Online, this is already built into the
program. Just choose Schedule Mail from the Flashmail submenu. You can get and
send mail automatically once or several times a day, every day, or only on
certain days. Lots of other options, too.  -Russ