[comp.sys.mac] Oscar--any info?

ELFJ@VAX5.CIT.CORNELL.EDU (02/08/90)

Does anyone know anything about Oscar?  According to the March MacUser,
it's an Apple developed application that allows both sending and
receiving files over AppleTalk.  It's supposed to be available on
Phil and Dave's Excellent CD: The Release Version.

Linda Iroff
elfj@crnlvax5.bitnet
elfj@vax5.cit.cornell.edu

louis@asterix.drev.dnd.ca (Louis Demers) (02/09/90)

ELFJ@VAX5.CIT.CORNELL.EDU writes:

>Does anyone know anything about Oscar?  According to the March MacUser,
>it's an Apple developed application that allows both sending and
>receiving files over AppleTalk.  It's supposed to be available on
>Phil and Dave's Excellent CD: The Release Version.

	I tried it briefly. You create folders named after the machines
to which you want to send stuff, and by dropping file into those
folders, An application running in background (Multifinder necessary)
will send it.  So transactions are always initiated by the sender.
When the application is running, a small status window (nice looking)
display the activity and progress of the transfers.

--
| Louis Demers              | DREV, Defence Research Establishment,Valcartier |
| louis@asterix.drev.dnd.ca | POBox 8800, Courcelette,Quebec, CANADA, G0A 1R0 |

clarson@ux.acs.umn.edu (Chaz Larson) (02/09/90)

In article <9002081607.AA04322@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> ELFJ@VAX5.CIT.CORNELL.EDU writes:
>Does anyone know anything about Oscar?  According to the March MacUser,
>it's an Apple developed application that allows both sending and
>receiving files over AppleTalk.  It's supposed to be available on
>Phil and Dave's Excellent CD: The Release Version.

Oscar is a real nifty piece of work.  It was written by Pete Helme of Mac DTS
[who is one of the nicer guys you're ever going to meet, BTW].  Under
MultiFinder, it lurks in the background, watching some specific folders.
Whenever you drag something into one of the special folders, it automatically
sends it to the corresponding folder on the machine that that folder has been
set up to send to.  That machine then gets a notification that a file has
arrived.  It's available on the Apple FTP site [apple.apple.com], but if
you don't have access to that I can E-Mail it to you.

<chaz>

                 Chaz Larson - clarson@ux.acs.umn.edu
            "Hey, I'm no Jack Kennedy..." - Flaming Carrot

mxmora@unix.SRI.COM (Matt Mora) (02/09/90)

In article <9002081607.AA04322@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> ELFJ@VAX5.CIT.CORNELL.EDU writes:
>Does anyone know anything about Oscar?  According to the March MacUser,
>it's an Apple developed application that allows both sending and
>receiving files over AppleTalk.  It's supposed to be available on
>Phil and Dave's Excellent CD: The Release Version.

I have it if you need a copy. Its also available from
apple.com I think. Haven't used it yet. I'm not running multifinder
at the moment.

>Linda Iroff
>elfj@crnlvax5.bitnet
>elfj@vax5.cit.cornell.edu

Matthew Mora
SRI International                       mxmora@unix.sri.com

ELFJ@VAX5.CIT.CORNELL.EDU (02/10/90)

Thanks to all those who told me Oscar can be  found by ftping
apple.com.  It's in /pub/dts/mac/hacks as Oscar.hqx.
Linda

chou@umn-cs.cs.umn.edu (Chih-Hsiang Chou) (02/10/90)

In article <8982@unix.SRI.COM> mxmora@unix.UUCP (Matt Mora) writes:
>In article <9002081607.AA04322@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> ELFJ@VAX5.CIT.CORNELL.EDU writes:
>>Does anyone know anything about Oscar?  According to the March MacUser,
>>it's an Apple developed application that allows both sending and
>>receiving files over AppleTalk.  It's supposed to be available on
>>Phil and Dave's Excellent CD: The Release Version.
>
>I have it if you need a copy. Its also available from
>apple.com I think. Haven't used it yet. I'm not running multifinder
>at the moment.

	This reminds me a question long in my mind. I've discovered
that the Oscar.hqx in the apple.com contains the infamous "Desktop
Manager" (version 2.0.1, the newest I've seen) which, as many of you
know, is not available for FTP before for some legal reason. Does this
situation has been changed recently in Apple? Will we see more goodies
which are available only in CompuServe or GEnie in the apple.com very soon?

	If the DM is inadvertently put there, PLEASE keep it there.
Don't leak this info to the Apple lawyers.

--
Chih-Hsiang Chou	chou@umn-cs.cs.umn.edu
Department of Computer Science

wiseman@tellab5.TELLABS.COM (Jeff Wiseman) (02/13/90)

In article <9002081607.AA04322@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> ELFJ@VAX5.CIT.CORNELL.EDU writes:
>Does anyone know anything about Oscar?  According to the March MacUser,
>it's an Apple developed application that allows both sending and
    [stuff deleted]

Not trying to be funny but the only "Oscar" that I have seen is a nifty little
init that whenever you select "Empty Trash", Oscar the Grouch comes out of the
trash can a sings a line of "I love trash". My kids simply adore it. Problem is
that now I have to have "GuardDog" installed (prevents things from being
dragged on the desktop without a specail key) in order to prevent them from
throwing everything on my hard disk away! :-)

--
Jeff Wiseman:	....uunet!tellab5!wiseman OR wiseman@TELLABS.COM

rcoahk@chudich.co.rmit.oz (Alvaro Hui Kau) (02/15/90)

> Not trying to be funny but the only "Oscar" that I have seen is a nifty little
				      ^^^^^^^^
> init that whenever you select "Empty Trash", Oscar the Grouch comes out of the
> trash can a sings a line of "I love trash". My kids simply adore it. Problem is
> that now I have to have "GuardDog" installed (prevents things from being
> dragged on the desktop without a specail key) in order to prevent them from
> throwing everything on my hard disk away! :-)

  Can you post that init??
					Alvaro
					akkh@mullian.ee.mu.oz.au
					rcoahk@chudich.co.rmit.oz.au

george@swbatl.UUCP (George D. Nincehelser) (03/05/90)

In article <2931@minyos.xx.rmit.oz> rcoahk@chudich.co.rmit.oz (Alvaro Hui Kau) writes:
>> Not trying to be funny but the only "Oscar" that I have seen is a nifty little
>				      ^^^^^^^^
>> init that whenever you select "Empty Trash", Oscar the Grouch comes out of the
>> trash can a sings a line of "I love trash". My kids simply adore it. Problem is
>  Can you post that init??

FYI:  The Oscar trash-can init has been updated and renamed
"The Grouch 2.0".  The author (Eric Shaprio) thought it was
getting confused too often with the Oscar file transfer utility.

It's available on AOL.

--
   /   George D. Nincehelser           \  uunet!swbatl!george       \
  / /   Southwestern Bell Telephone     \  Phone: (314) 235-6544     \