[comp.sys.mac] gifconverter 2.0 ???

lito@psuecl.bitnet (02/08/90)

hi,

        i remember seeing a posting a few weeks ago to the effect that
gifconverter 2.0 was being sent to sumex and possibly comp.bin.mac

so where did it go???

        also, does anyone know what the status of the vision lab program
is??  i haven't seen it in the ftp server at sumex in a long time and would
like to use it.

thanks in advance,
--
lito lucena                                | Keeper of the Ranma Archives
lito@ecl.psu.edu   (InterNet)              |  Japanese Animation Junkie

sather@blake.acs.washington.edu (Jim Sather) (02/09/90)

In article <84599@psuecl.bitnet> lito@psuecl.bitnet writes:

>        also, does anyone know what the status of the vision lab program
>is??  i haven't seen it in the ftp server at sumex in a long time and would
>like to use it.
>
>thanks in advance,

I believe that it is in the demo directory.

Jim

mjkobb@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Michael J Kobb) (02/09/90)

In article <84599@psuecl.bitnet> lito@psuecl.bitnet writes:
>hi,
>
>        i remember seeing a posting a few weeks ago to the effect that
>gifconverter 2.0 was being sent to sumex and possibly comp.bin.mac
>
>so where did it go???

  I posted GIFConverter 2.0d12, with the permission of the author, to sumex,
and to comp.binaries.mac.  This was several weeks ago, and I have not yet seen
it come out.  I wrote to the Sumex moderators, concerned that it had somehow
gotten lost, and they replied that they are very backlogged, and that it is
probably queued for posting.  I don't know about comp.binaries.mac.  I simply
posted it, since I got no replies to my request for info on proper posting
etiquette.  That was two weeks ago or so.

  If you can't wait, it's also available on America Online and CompuServe.

--Mike

bytebug@dhw68k.cts.com (Roger L. Long) (03/04/90)

By mail, Kevin A. Mitchell <74017.2573@CompuServe.COM> writes:
|As the author of GIFConverter, I withdraw my authorization for its
|posting to USENET. Please do not post this program to
|comp.binaries.mac. In addition, if the program exists on an archive
|server (something at sumex?), please remove it or tell me how to
|contact the administrator to ask its removal.

Thus, you won't be seing GIFConverter posted to comp.binaries.mac...

Sorry.
--
	Roger L. Long
	bytebug@dhw68k.cts.com

mjkobb@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Michael J Kobb) (03/05/90)

:
:By mail, Kevin A. Mitchell <74017.2573@CompuServe.COM: writes:
:|As the author of GIFConverter, I withdraw my authorization for its
:|posting to USENET. Please do not post this program to
:|comp.binaries.mac. In addition, if the program exists on an archive
:|server (something at sumex?), please remove it or tell me how to
:|contact the administrator to ask its removal.
:
:Thus, you won't be seing GIFConverter posted to comp.binaries.mac...
:
:Sorry.
:--
:	Roger L. Long
:	bytebug@dhw68k.cts.com

Just to clarify what happened here:  Kevin withdrew his authorization for
GIFConverter to be posted after all of the flack that people threw up all over
the net about demoware.  In my opinion, this is one hell of a loss for the
USENET community as a whole, since I think that a large number of people would
find the program useful enough to buy it.  Nonetheless, Kevin has every right
to regulate the distribution of his software and to protect his rights as an
author, so if he feels that USENET is currently a hostile climate for demo
software, then it's our loss.

--Mike

Disclaimer: I think that disclaimers are an incredibly sad statement about our
society.  Nonetheless, nothing that I say can or should be construed as having
been said by anyone.  Ever.

anderson@Apple.COM (Clark Anderson) (03/05/90)

I ftp'd several GIF files from sumex. The filenames
all had a ".hqx" siffix. I used binary transfer to
move them both to the VAX here and to my Mac.
I then ran them thru BinHex 5.0, buf Giffer was unable
to read either of them.

Can anyone offer suggestions why this didn't work?

                          --clark

Clark Anderson                  InterNet:  anderson@apple.com
CPU Engineering                 AppleLink: C.ANDERSON
Apple Computer, Inc             BellNet:   408-974-4593

"I speak only for myself, much to my employer's relief..."

hairston@henry.ece.cmu.edu (David Hairston) (03/05/90)

[anderson@Apple.COM (Clark Anderson) writes:]
[] I ftp'd several GIF files from sumex. The filenames
[] all had a ".hqx" siffix. I used binary transfer to
[] move them both to the VAX here and to my Mac.
[] I then ran them thru BinHex 5.0, buf Giffer was unable
[] to read either of them.

fyi: the *.hqx files are ascii encoded.

i'm not familiar with binhex 5.0, however *.hqx files usually have a
header in them which reads:
(This file must be converted with BinHex 4.0)

perhaps you want binhex 4.0 ... available from sumex as
"info-mac/util/binhex4.bin". this will require a binary transfer!

  -dave-
hairston@henry.ece.cmu.edu