[comp.sys.mac] SIMM and HD recommendations wanted

jlhaferman@l_eld03.icaen.uiowa.edu (Jeffrey Lawrence Haferman) (03/02/90)

I have about $500 to spend on upgrading my SE (2 FDHDs, 1M Ram no HD).
I would like some recommendations (mail order?) on where I can cheaply
and safely (i.e. good warranties, no scams) purchase some more memory
and a hard drive - I would like in internal drive, preferably 40 M,
but I realize $500 is not a lot and 20 M might be more realistic.  An
external drive would be okay, but it seems like internal drives are cheaper,
and I don't need an external drive to clutter up my desk.

If you have suggestions, please mail directly to me.  Be specific please,
I've been looking through magazines and it is hard to determine which
outfits are good ones to go through.

Thanks in advance.

Jeff Haferman  jlhaferman@icaen.uiowa.edu
University of Iowa
Department of Mechanical Engineering

psu@mtuni.ATT.COM (Paul Siu) (03/02/90)

In article <771@ns-mx.uiowa.edu> jlhaferman@l_eld03.icaen.uiowa.edu (Jeffrey Lawrence Haferman) writes:

>I have about $500 to spend on upgrading my SE (2 FDHDs, 1M Ram no HD).
>I would like some recommendations (mail order?) on where I can cheaply
>and safely (i.e. good warranties, no scams) purchase some more memory
>and a hard drive - I would like in internal drive, preferably 40 M,
>but I realize $500 is not a lot and 20 M might be more realistic.  An
>external drive would be okay, but it seems like internal drives are cheaper,
>and I don't need an external drive to clutter up my desk.

I had some good experiences with Ehman.  They'll sell you an internal 45MB for
$400.  If you can put out another $100, you can probably upgrade your machine
to 2.5 Meg.  Here are their price list:

Size           Price
20Meg          $299
30+            $349
45             $399

I haven't dealt with them for a while, so may be times have change.  I heard
that their customer service may be hard to reach (it's usually busy), but it's
first rate.  You'll have to install the drive yourself though.  You'll lost the
second drive.  If you're in a user group, they'll give discounts.

Again, this information may be outdated.  Give them a call, don't take my word
for it.

sapienza@bgsuvax.UUCP (Michael A. Sapienza) (03/03/90)

In article <2836@mtuni.ATT.COM>, psu@mtuni.ATT.COM (Paul Siu) writes:
> In article <771@ns-mx.uiowa.edu> jlhaferman@l_eld03.icaen.uiowa.edu (Jeffrey Lawrence Haferman) writes:

Ehman also has an educational discount that will hack about 20-30% off some of
their selected drives.

vita@daredevil.crd.ge.com (Mark F Vita) (03/05/90)

In article <2836@mtuni.ATT.COM> psu@mtuni.ATT.COM (Paul Siu) writes:
<stuff about Ehman drives>
>You'll lost the second drive.

This is no longer true (at least it wasn't when I bought my drive in
July 89).  Their internal bracket for the SE allows you to keep both
internal floppy drives.  The hard drive mounts right on top of the two
floppies.  It's kind of a tight fit, but it does work.

Let me second the recommendation for Ehman.  I had no problems
whatsoever with my drive (45MB Seagate).  Their tech support seems
fairly competent, and their prices are great.

--
Mark Vita                              vita@crd.ge.com
General Electric CRD               	..!uunet!crd.ge.com!vita