[comp.sys.mac] Virus? "Smilies Document"

botteron@bu-it.bu.edu (Carol J. Botteron) (03/03/90)

    Help!  Wednesday evening 2/28 I discovered that my MacWrite 4.5
documents were suddenly listed as "Smilies Document" instead of
"MacWrite Document." When I tried to open them I got a "no
application" message.  Documents saved as text can still be opened by
McSink.  Being inexperienced I trashed that folder and tried to
restore it from a backup disk, but the documents on the backup disk
changed to "Smilies" too.

About 10 days earlier I had installed System 6.04, a copy obtained
from a friend who just bought a Mac II.  (Mine is an old SE.)  I
haven't reached him and don't know if he has this problem.  The only
other new software I remember using in the past few months is the
Nisus demo disk.  (Of course this virus or whatever may have lain
dormant for a year or two.)

Has anyone else run into this problem?  Any fixes or other advice?
Thanks in advance for any help.  Please email if possible; I'll
summarize if there is interest.

hairston@henry.ece.cmu.edu (David Hairston) (03/03/90)

[botteron@bu-it.bu.edu (Carol J. Botteron) writes:]
[]     Help!  Wednesday evening 2/28 I discovered that my MacWrite 4.5
[] documents were suddenly listed as "Smilies Document" instead of
[] "MacWrite Document." When I tried to open them I got a "no...

this is probably not a virus. get a copy of "disinfectant 1.6" to check
for possible known virus infections. however, in your case the culprit
is most likely a file that had its "bundle bit" improperly set. that
file would most likely have been called "smilies". if that file is no
longer on your disk then rebuilding the desktop should solve your problem.
i forget the key-combination offhand but i think that holding down the
command and option keys when exiting an application to the finder should
trigger a rebuild desktop dialog.

  -dave-
hairston@henry.ece.cmu.edu

baumgart@esquire.dpw.com (Steve Baumgarten) (03/06/90)

In article <HAIRSTON.90Mar2130816@henry.ece.cmu.edu>, hairston@henry (David Hairston) writes:
>this is probably not a virus. get a copy of "disinfectant 1.6" to check
>for possible known virus infections. however, in your case the culprit
>is most likely a file that had its "bundle bit" improperly set. that
>file would most likely have been called "smilies". if that file is no
>longer on your disk then rebuilding the desktop should solve your problem.

Another interesting thing along this line.  I wondered why the new
Dataframe Manager software had Darth Vader for an icon, until I
realized that the creator type is the same as Broderbund's Star
Wars (and I put Star Wars on my disk first)...

So much for registering creator IDs with Apple, huh?

--
   Steve Baumgarten             | "New York... when civilization falls apart,
   Davis Polk & Wardwell        |  remember, we were way ahead of you."